ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Organic Chemistry > Organometallic compounds > Organic aluminum > Aluminium isopropoxide
Aluminium isopropoxide Chemical Properties
- Melting point:128-133 °C (lit.)
- Boiling point:125-130 °C (38 mmHg)
- Density 1.035 g/mL at 25 °C (lit.)
- vapor pressure 0.13 hPa (21 °C)
- refractive index 1.0346
- Flash point:46 °C
- storage temp. Store below +30°C.
- solubility REACTS
- form Crystalline Powder (May Contain Chunks)
- color White
- Specific Gravity1.035
- explosive limit2%(V)
- Water Solubility REACTS
- Sensitive Moisture Sensitive
- Hydrolytic Sensitivity8: reacts rapidly with moisture, water, protic solvents
- Merck 14,347
- BRN 3910275
- CAS DataBase Reference555-31-7(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferenceAluminum isopropoxide(555-31-7)
- EPA Substance Registry System2-Propanol aluminum salt (555-31-7)
Aluminium isopropoxide Usage And Synthesis
- DescriptionAluminium isopropoxide is usually described with the formula Al(O-i-Pr)3, where i-Pr is the isopropyl group (CH(CH3)2). This colourless solid is a useful reagent in organic synthesis. The structure of this compound is complex, possibly time dependent, and may depend on the solvent. It is primarily used in the oil and gas industry in combination with phosphate esters to form an anionic association polymer in which the aluminium as the cross-linking agent. Such gelling agents are used as fluid loss control additives in drilling operations.
- Chemical PropertiesAluminium isopropoxide is white crystalline powder (may contain chunks)
- UsesMeerwein-Ponndorf reactions; alcoholysis and ester exchange; synthesis of higher alkoxides, chelates, and acylates; formation of aluminum soaps, formulation of paints; waterproofing finishes for textiles.
- UsesIt is used in a number of organic syntheticreactions and in the manufacture of manytypes of products, including aluminum soaps,paints, and waterproofing finishes.
- UsesAlkyl phosphate esters in conjunction with aluminium isopropoxide have been used as fluid loss additives in drilling fluid compositions. It is important for drilling fluids to efficiently and quickly form a filter cake to minimise fluid loss and allow flow of fluids into the wellbore during production. In the alkyl phosphate ester case, it is cross‐linked with the aluminium compound to form a complex anionic polymer, which acts as a gelling agent to prevent fluid loss.
- Fire HazardThe flash point of this compound is 26°C (79°F) (Bretzinger and Josten). It is less flammable than the sec- and tert-alkoxides of alkali metals. Ignition may occur when this compound is heated in moist air.It decomposes in water. The reaction is exothermic, producing isopropanol. It may decompose when heated to 250°C (482°F), producing highly flammable isopropyl ether.
- Purification MethodsRedistil it under vacuum. Hygroscopic. [Robinson & Peak J Phys Chem 39 1127 1935, Beilstein 1 IV 1468.]
Aluminium isopropoxide Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Raw materialsIsopropanolAluminium
- Preparation ProductsAluminum oxide Poly(ethylene glycol)Cinnamyl alcohol16a,17a-EpoxyprogesteroneProgesteroneFinasterideImazalilNEROLMiconazole nitrate Triadimenoldesulfurizating hydrogenation Co-Mo catalysts5-NITROFURFURYL ALCOHOLMethoxydienone17-Methyltestosteronereforming catalysts(series)DL-1-PhenethylalcoholAluminate coupling agentAceglutamide Aluminum
- POTASSIUM ISOPROPOXIDE SAMARIUM(III) ISOPROPOXIDE CERIUM (IV) ISOPROPOXIDE Sodium propan-2-olate Isopropyl alcohol 2-PROPANOL-D8 Amino-2-propanol ISOPRINOSINE LITHIUM TRI-TERT-BUTOXYALUMINODEUTERIDE ALUMINUM CALCIUM ISOPROPOXIDE ALUMINUM LANTHANUM ISOPROPOXIDE COBALT ALUMINUM ISOPROPOXIDE ALUMINUM TERT-BUTOXIDE ALUMINUM NICKEL ISOPROPOXIDE NICKEL ALUMINUM ISOPROPOXIDE ALUMINUM COBALT ISOPROPOXIDE TRIETHYL(TRI-S-BUTOXY)DIALUMINUM TANTALUM ALUMINUM-I-PROPOXIDE
- Company Name:Shanghai Quanhua Technology Co., Ltd Gold
- Company Name:Shanghai Aladdin Bio-Chem Technology Co.,LTD Gold
- Tel:400-620-6333 021-20337333-801
- Company Name:Hubei Dechao Chemical Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:18071515590 027-87290866-
- Company Name:Ningbo chemical raw materials co., ltd. Gold
- Company Name:Wuhan Rongcan Biotechnology Co., Ltd Gold