ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > API > Hormones and the Endocrine System > Adrenal corticosteroids > Cortisone acetate
Cortisone acetate Chemical Properties
- Melting point:237-240 °C(lit.)
- alpha D25 +164° (c = 0.5 in acetone); D25 +208 to +217° (dioxane)
- refractive index 212 ° (C=1, MeOH)
- storage temp. 2-8°C
- solubility Practically insoluble in water, freely soluble in methylene chloride, soluble in dioxan, sparingly soluble in acetone, slightly soluble in ethanol (96 per cent) and in methanol.
- form neat
- Water Solubility 19mg/L(25 ºC)
- Merck 14,2539
- BRN 2067543
- Stability:Stable. Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents.
- CAS DataBase Reference50-04-4(CAS DataBase Reference)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemCortisone acetate (50-04-4)
- Safety Statements 22-36/37-24/25
- WGK Germany 3
- RTECS GM9140000
- HS Code 32041200
Cortisone acetate Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical Propertiessolid
- OriginatorCortone Acetate,MSD,US,1950
- UsesCortisone Acetate is a glucocorticoid. Cortisone Acetate is an antiinflammatory agent. Cortisone Acetate is bioavailable and readily converted to the therapeutically active form, Hydrocotisone (H71461 5).
- Manufacturing ProcessThe following technique is described in US Patent 2,541,104. A solution of 2.0
g of 3(α)-hydroxy-21-acetoxy-11,20-diketo-pregnane, which can be prepared
as described in Helv. Chim. Acta 27, 1287 (1944), is treated in a mixture of
25 cc of alcohol and 6.4 cc of acetic acid at 0°C with 6.0 g of potassium
cyanide. The solution is allowed to warm to room temperature and after 3 hours is diluted with water. The addition of a large volume of water to the alcohol-hydrogen cyanide mixture precipitates a gum which is extracted with chloroform or ethyl acetate. The extract is washed with water, and evaporated to small volume under reduced pressure. The crystalline precipitate (1.3 g) consists of 3(α),20-dihydroxy-20-cyano-21-acetoxy-11-keto-pregnane; dec. 175° to 185°C.
A solution of 0.60 g of chromic acid in 1.2 cc of water and 11 cc of acetic acid is added to a solution containing about 1.2 g of 3(α),20-dihydroxy-20-cyano- 21-acetoxy-11-ketopregnane at room temperature. After 1 hour, water is added and the product, which precipitates, is filtered and recrystallized from ethyl acetate to produce 3,11-diketo-20-hydroxy-20-cyano-21-acetoxypregnane; dec. 214° to 217°C.
0.40 cc of phosphorus oxychloride is added to a solution containing about 950 mg of 3,11-diketo-20-hydroxy-20-cyano-21-acetoxy-pregnane dissolved in 3 cc of pyridine. After standing at room temperature for 24 hours, the solution is poured into water and dilute hydrochloric acid, extracted with benzene and concentrated to dryness. The crude product, after chromatography gives one main constituent, namely δ17-3,11-diketo-20-cyano-21-acetoxy-pregnene; MP 189° to 190°C.
A solution of 1.0 g of δ17-3,11-diketo-20-cyano-21-acetoxy-pregnene in 10 cc of benzene is treated with 1.0 g of osmium tetroxide and 0.43 g of pyridine. After standing at room temperature for 18 hours, the resulting solution is treated successively with 50 cc of alcohol, and with 50 cc of water containing 2.5 g of sodium sulfite. The mixture is stirred for 30 hours, filtered, and the filtrate acidified with 0.5 cc of acetic acid and concentrated to small volume in vacuo. The aqueous suspension is then extracted four times with chloroform, the chloroform extracts are combined, washed with water and concentrated to dryness in vacuo. Recrystallization of the residue from acetone gives 9°C. This compound is then treated with acetic anhydride and pyridine for 15 minutes at room temperature to produce 3,11,20-triketo-17(α)-hydroxy-21-acetoxypregnane or cortisone acetate.
- Therapeutic FunctionGlucocorticoid
- General DescriptionCortisone acetate, 21-(acetyloxy)-17-hydroxypregn-4-ene-3,11,20-trione, is the 21-acetate of naturally occurring cortisone with good systemicanti-inflammatory activity and low-to-moderate salt-retentionactivity after its in vivo conversion to hydrocortisoneacetate. This conversion is mediated by 11β-hydroxysteroiddehydrogenase. It is used for the entire spectrum of uses discussedpreviously under the heading, “Therapeutic Uses ofAdrenal Cortex Hormones”—collagen diseases, Addisondisease, severe shock, allergic conditions, chronic lymphocyticleukemia, and many other indications. Cortisone acetateis relatively ineffective topically, mainly because itmust be reduced in vivo to hydrocortisone. Its plasma halflifeis only about 30 minutes, compared with 90 minutes to3 hours for hydrocortisone.
- Purification MethodsCrystallise -1cortisone-21-acetate from acetone or CHCl3. The UV has 15,800 M-1cm at 238nm in dioxane. [Sarett J Biol Chem 162 601 1946, Beilstein 8 III 4058, 5 IV 3481.]
Cortisone acetate Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Glatiramer acetate 21-DEOXYCORTISONE CORTISONE-21-ACETATE (CORTISONE ACETATE) CORTISONE ACETATE DIETHYLENEKETAL Cortisone Acetate, Powder CORTISONE ACETATE USP 23 CORTISONE ACETATE IMP. A (EP): HYDROCORTISONE ACETATE Hydrocortisone acetate Ammonium acetate CORTISONE ACETATE Cortisone acetate CELLULOSE ACETATE Vinyl acetate Ethyl acetate Sodium acetate POLY(VINYL ACETATE) Hydrocortisone
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Company Name:BeiJing Hwrk Chemicals Limted
- Tel:010-57411838 010-57411839-
- Company Name:Energy Chemical
- Tel:400-005-6266 021-58432009
- Company Name:Beijing Ouhe Technology Co., Ltd
- Tel:13552068683 010-82967028-