ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Analytical Chemistry > Standard > Food and beverage standards > Benzofuran
Benzofuran Chemical Properties
- Melting point:<-18℃
- Boiling point:173-175 °C(lit.)
- Density 1.095 g/mL at 20 °C(lit.)
- refractive index n
- Flash point:133 °F
- storage temp. 2-8°C
- form Crystalline Powder or Crystals
- color Yellow to green to yellow-brown
- Water Solubility insoluble
- Merck 14,1088
- BRN 107704
- CAS DataBase Reference271-89-6(CAS DataBase Reference)
- IARC2B (Vol. 63) 1995
- NIST Chemistry ReferenceBenzofuran(271-89-6)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemBenzofuran (271-89-6)
Benzofuran Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical Properties2,3-Benzofuran is a colorless, sweet-smelling, oily liquid made by processing coal into coal oil. It may also be formed during other uses of coal or oil. 2,3-Benzofuran is not used for any commercial purposes, but the part of the coal oil that contains 2,3-benzofuran is made into a plastic called coumarone-indene resin. This resin resists corrosion and is used to make paints and varnishes. The resin also provides water resistance and is used in coatings on paper products and fabrics. It is used as an adhesive in food containers and some asphalt fl oor tiles. The resin has been approved for use in food packages and as a coating on citrus fruits. We do not know how often the resin is used or whether any 2,3-benzofuran in the coating or packaging gets into the food. 2,3-Benzofuran may enter the air, water, and soil during its manufacture, use, or storage at hazardous waste sites. Breathing contaminated air or touching the chemical in the workplace is the source of human exposure.
- Usesmanufacture of coumarone-indene resins.
- UsesAs an intermediate in the polymerization of coumarone-indene resins found in various corrosion-resistant coatings such as paints and varnishes; in water-resistant coatings for paper products and fabrics; in adhesives for use in food containers
- DefinitionA bicyclic ring compound derived from coal tar naphtha, the parent substance of coumarone-indene resins.
- Synthesis Reference(s)The Journal of Organic Chemistry, 44, p. 28, 1979 DOI: 10.1021/jo01315a008
- General DescriptionClear oily yellow liquid with an aromatic odor.
- Air & Water ReactionsHighly flammable. May be sensitive to prolonged exposure to air. Very slightly water soluble.
- Reactivity ProfileBenzofuran slowly polymerizes on standing. Benzofuran may be sensitive to prolonged exposure to air. Benzofuran is polymerized by H2SO4.
- HazardPossible carcinogen.
- Health HazardACUTE/CHRONIC HAZARDS: When heated to decomposition Benzofuran emits acrid and irritating smoke and fumes.
- Health HazardRats and mice that ingested high levels of 2,3-benzofuran over a short time had liver and kidney damage. Those exposed over a long time to moderate levels had liver, kidney, lung, and stomach damage. In one study, the ability of animals to reproduce was not affected. We do not know if people will experience health effects similar to those seen in animals.
- Fire HazardBenzofuran is combustible.
- CarcinogenicityBenzofuran was not mutagenic in bacterial assays but did cause chromosomal aberrations and sister chromatid exchanges in cultured rodent cells.
- Purification MethodsBenzofuran is steam distilled, dissolved in Et2O, washed with 5% aqueous NaOH, saturated NaCl, dried (Na2SO4), evaporated and redistilled. UV: max 245, 275, 282nm (log 4.08, 3.45, 3.48). The picrate has m 102-103o. [Burgstahler & Worden Org Synth Coll Vol V 251 1973, NMR: Black & Heffernan Aust J Chem 18 353 1965, Beilstein 17/2 V 3.]
Benzofuran Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Raw materialsAcetic acid glacialAcetic anhydrideSodium acetateSodium acetate trihydratePETROLEUM ETHERSalicylaldehydeCOAL TARIndeneCoumarinheavy benzolPhenoxyacetic acidCOUMARONE RESIN
- Preparation ProductsCarbofuranIndene2,3-Dihydro-2,2-dimethyl-7-benzofuranol 3-(Benzofuran-2-yl)-3-oxopropanenitrile ,97%2-Acetylbenzofuran1-(1-BENZOFURAN-2-YL)-2-BROMOETHAN-1-ONEBefunololBENFURACARBCitalopramBenzofuran-2-boronic acid3-BROMO-1-BENZOFURAN
- 3-AMINO-2-METHOXYDIBENZOFURAN TRIOXSALEN 1-BENZOFURAN-2-CARBALDEHYDE,1-BENZOFURAN-2-CARBOXALDEHYDE 1-BENZOFURAN-2-CARBOXYLIC ACID 8-Methoxypsoralen VISNAGIN KHELLIN COUMESTROL Psoralen 2-METHYLBENZOFURAN 5-Bromo-1-benzofuran Nitrofurantoin Carbofuran FURFURYL ALCOHOL RESIN Furazolidone Benzo[b]thien-2-ylboronic acid Tetrahydrofuran Dibenzofuran
- Company Name:Jinan Fisher Chemical Co., Ltd Gold
- Tel:18560037514 0531-86901243-
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar
- Company Name:TCI (Shanghai) Development Co., Ltd.
- Tel:021-67121386 / 800-988-0390