Indene Chemical Properties
- Melting point:−5-−3 °C(lit.)
- Boiling point:181-182 °C(lit.)
- Density 0.996 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- vapor pressure 1.7 hPa (20 °C)
- refractive index n
- Flash point:138 °F
- storage temp. 2-8°C
- solubility organic solvents: miscible
- pka20(at 25℃)
- form Crystalline Powder
- color White to pale yellow
- Odor Threshold0.0038ppm
- Water Solubility INSOLUBLE
- Sensitive Light Sensitive
- Merck 14,4939
- BRN 635873
- Stability:Stable, but air and light sensitive; may polymerize upon exposure to light. Typically contains aroung 80 - 100 ppm of p-tert-butylcatechol as inhibitor. Refrigerate. Flammable. Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents.
- CAS DataBase Reference95-13-6(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferenceIndene(95-13-6)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemIndene (95-13-6)
Indene Usage And Synthesis
- DescriptionIndene (also called 1H-Indene, C9H8) is a flammable polycyclic hydrocarbon. It is a colorless and aromatic smelling liquid. It is used in the synthesis of new C60 derivative (indene-C60 Bisadduct) and to prepare polyindene by the controlled cationic polymerization initiated with cumyl methyl ether/TiCl4 in CH2Cl2. Polyindene is further used to synthesize polyolefins. Indene is also used in the synthesis of istatins, in the production of indene/cumarone thermoplastic resins, and in the production of hydrocarbon resins. These industrial resins, also called indene-coumarone resins, are mainly consumed by the paints & coatings, rubber, and construction industries.
It should be stored in a cool place. The container should be kept tightly closed in a dry and well-ventilated place. Containers which areopened must be carefully resealed and kept upright to prevent leakage. Indene is incompatible with strong oxidizing agents. Recommended storage temperature is 2 - 8°C. Indene is sensitive to light.
- References https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indene
 Stephen F. Hahn, Marc A. Hillmyer (2003) High glass transition temperature polyolefins obtained by the catalytic hydrogenation of polyindene, 36, 71-76.
- Chemical PropertiesYellow green clear liquid
- UsesPreparation of coumarone-indene resins, intermediate.
- UsesPreparation of coumarone-indene resins
- Definitionindene: A colourless flammable hydrocarbon,C9H8; r.d. 0.996; m.p.–1.8°C; b.p. 182.6°C. Indene is anaromatic hydrocarbon with a five-memberedring fused to a benzenering. It is present in coal tar and isused as a solvent and raw materialfor making other organic compounds.
- Synthesis Reference(s)Tetrahedron Letters, 18, p. 49, 1977 DOI: 10.1016/S0040-4039(01)92547-X
- General DescriptionA colorless liquid derived from coal tar. Fp: -2°C; bp:182°C. Density 0.997 g cm-3. Insoluble in water but soluble in organic solvents.
- Reactivity ProfileIndene is combustible (flash point between 140°F and 200°F). Polymerizes and oxidizes on standing in the air. This reaction is accelerated by heating, acids, and catalysts, including peroxides. Has exploded during nitration with a mixture of H2SO4 and HNO3.
- HazardToxic by inhalation.
- Health HazardIndene is expected to be an irritant of the mucous membranes.
- Purification MethodsShake indene with 6M HCl for 24hours (to remove basic nitrogenous material), then reflux it with 40% NaOH for 2hours (to remove benzonitrile). Fractionally distil, then fractionally crystallise it by partial freezing. The higher-melting portion is converted to its sodium salt by adding a quarter of its weight of sodamide under nitrogen and stirring for 3hours at 120o. Unreacted organic material is distilled off at 120o/1mm. The sodium salts are hydrolysed with water, and the organic fraction is separated by steam disillation, followed by fractional distillation. Before use, the distillate is passed, under nitrogen, through a column of activated silica gel. It turns yellow in air as it readily oxidizes and polymerises. [Russell J Am Chem Soc 78 1041 1956, Beilstein 5 IV 1532.]
Indene Preparation Products And Raw materials
- phenindamine tartrate 3-(2-AZEPAN-1-YL-1H-INDEN-3-YL)-1-(4-METHYLPHENYL)PROP-2-EN-1-ONE 1-PHENYL-3-(2-PIPERIDINO-1H-INDEN-3-YL)PROP-2-EN-1-ONE INDENE-1-CARBOXYLIC ACID N-AMYL ESTER 1-METHYLINDENE CINNAMYLIDENE INDENE INDENE-5-CARBOXYLIC ACID 9-METHYL-2,3,7-TRIHYDROXY-6-FLUORONE SULFATE INDENE-MALEIC ANHYDRIDE ADDUCT INDENONE ETHYLENE KETAL INDENE-1-CARBOXYLIC ACID N-BUTYL ESTER DIMETHINDENE MALEATE 1-(4-BROMOPHENYL)-3-(2-TETRAHYDRO-1H-PYRROL-1-YL-1H-INDEN-3-YL)PROP-2-EN-1-ONE INDENE-1-CARBOXYLIC ACID OCTYL ESTER 1,1,3-TRIMETHYLINDENE 1,2,3-TRIPHENYL-1-INDENOL 3-ETHYLINDENE INDENE-1-CARBOXYLIC ACID CYCLOHEXYL ESTER
- Company Name:Wuhan Greatwall chemical Co,.LTD Gold
- Company Name:Hangzhou YiDi Industrial Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:18069800150 0571-82609104-
- Company Name:Hangzhou QiFei Chemical Co., Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:Weifang QianJin Fine Chemical Co., Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-