ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > API > Diagnostic agents > Organ Function Test agent > Indigo Carmine
Indigo Carmine Chemical Properties
- Melting point:>300°C
- Density 1.01 g/mL at 20 °C
- refractive index n20/D 1.335
- storage temp. room temp
- solubility 1g/l
- form Powder/Solid
- Colour Index 73015
- color Very dark blue to purple
- PH7 (10g/l, H2O, 20℃)
- PH Range11.5(blue)-14.0(yellow)
- OdorLight odour
- Water Solubility 1 g/100 mL (25 ºC)
- Sensitive Light Sensitive
- Merck 14,4944
- BRN 4103904
- Stability:Stable. Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents.
- Biological ApplicationsDetecting microorganisms; treating amyloidosis,testicular cancer; medical devices; drug delivery system
- Major ApplicationDisplay device, sensor, chemical-mechanical polishing, batteries, photographic materials, thermoplastics, inks, highlighters, detergents, disinfectants, rodenticide, colored bubbles, hair dyes, cosmetics, food, determine bacterial growth, antiischemic Magents, antiseptic, antitumor agents, Alzheimer’s disease, psychoactive drugs, Tooth whitening
- CAS DataBase Reference860-22-0(CAS DataBase Reference)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemC.I. Acid Blue 74 (860-22-0)
- Language:EnglishProvider:Disodium 5,5'-(2-(1,3-dihydro-3-oxo-2H-indazol-2-ylidene)-1,2-dihydro-3H-indol-3-one)disulphonate
Indigo Carmine Usage And Synthesis
- DescriptionIndigo carmine is indigotindisulfonate sodium, a marker dye used during cystoscopy and ureteral catheterization.
(1) Indigo carmine is also used in endoscopic procedures, lymph node and vessel delineation, and for tumor localization. Indigo carmine is an unapproved drug without FDA approved labeling.
(2) There is no single dye that can replace indigo carmine. Choice of alternative agent will depend on type of procedure and physician discretion, as well as product availability.
Indigo Carmine (IC) is the most common chemical dye for clothes dyeing, which is considered as a refractory molecule since it is required a rather strong chemical treatment for its elimination from the water waste. The presence of this dye in residuals causes notorious change of water color and smell even in very low concentration. Moreover, if some of this water reaches natural streams it can be toxic for aquatic living entities due to the formation of toxic compounds such as aromatic amines.
- Chemical Propertiespurple powder
- Chemical PropertiesFD & C Blue No. 2 is principally the disodium salt of 2-( 1,3-dihydro-3-oxo-5-sulfo-2H-indol-2-ylidene)-2,3-dihydro3-oxo-lH-indole-5-sulfonic acid.
The colorant is a blue-brown to red-brown powder that dissolves in water to give a solution that is blue at neutrality, blue-violet in acid, and green to yellow-green in base. When dissolved in concentrated sulfuric acid, it yields a blue-violet solution that turns blue when diluted with water. It is soluble in 95% ethanol.
FD & C Blue No. 2 is used in dessert powders, bakery goods, cereals, snack foods, confectionery products, maraschino cherries, sausage, ice cream, sherbet, and dairy products. The color is also used in drug preparations.1 .
- UsesColorant for nylon, surgical sutures, foods and ingested drugs. As a reagent for functional kidney tests, for detection of nitrates, chlorates and in testing milk.
- UsesIndigo Carmine (FD&C Blue #2) is a colorant. It has poor ph stability in that after 1 week at ph 3 and 5 it will appreciably fade, at ph 7 considerably fade, and at ph 8 fade completely. It is the least soluble of all food colors, with a solubility of 1.6 g in 100 ml of water at 25°c. Complete fading occurs in alkalis such as 10% sodium carbonate and 10% sodium hydroxide, with fading also occurring in 10% sugar systems. It has very poor light stability and oxidation stability, and moderate stability to heat; it has a deep blue hue with poor tinctorial strength. It is the only food color that has good resistance to reducing agents, but has very poor compatibility with food components. The major use is in pet food, but it is also used in candies, confections, and baked goods. The common name is indigotine.
- Uses5,5’Indigodisulfonic Acid Disodium Salt is a food additive that is widely used in the market. 5,5’Indigodisulfonic Acid Disodium Salt was also used as a dye for cationic cotton fabrics.
- DefinitionChEBI: An organic sodium salt resulting from the formal condensation of indigo carmine (acid form) with two equivalents of sodium hydroxide. It is an indicator at pH 11.5-14, changing from blue to yellow.
- Preparation3H-indol-3-one,2-(1,3-dihydro-3-oxo-2H-indol-2-ylidene)-1,2-dihydro?with strong sulfuric acid or trace fuming sulfuric acid products.
- brand nameIndigo Carmine (Becton Dickinson Microbiology).
- General DescriptionIndigo to dark blue powder.
- Air & Water ReactionsWater soluble.
- Reactivity ProfileSensitive to light. Very sensitive to oxidizing agents. Color is readily discharged by nitric acid, chlorates, etc. Color of aqueous solutions fades on standing.
- Fire HazardFlash point data for Acid Blue 74 is not available, but Acid Blue 74 is probably combustible.
- Purification MethodsIts solubility in H2O is 1g/100mL at 25o. It has been purified by dissolving in H2O, filtering and adding EtOH to cause the salt to separate. Wash the solid with EtOH, Et2O and dry in vacuo. [V.rlander & Schubert Chem Ber 34 1860 1901, UV: Smit et al. Anal Chem 27 1159 1955, Preisler et al. J Am Chem Soc 81 1991 1959, Beilstein 25 IV 1975.]
- Properties and Applicationsgreen light blue. Soluble in water for blue, slightly soluble in alcohol. The strong sulfuric acid is a deep blue light in purple, diluted into blue. In aqueous solution for green to yellow sodium hydroxide to join.
Standard Light Fastness Soaping Persperation Fastness Oxygen bleaching Fastness to seawater Fading Stain Fading Stain Fading Stain ISO 1-2 2 4 2 1 2 2 1 AATCC 1 3 5 1 1 1 2 2
- ReferencesAmerican Society of Health-system Pharmacist.
Journal of Environmental Protection, 2016, 7, 1693-1706
Indigo Carmine Preparation Products And Raw materials
- 2-epi-(-)-EMtricitabine EMtricitabine Carboxylic Acid Emtricitabine Impurity 15 Emtricitabine Impurity 16 2',3'-dideoxy-5-fluoro-3'-thiauridine Oxathiolan 5fu-.B. Deoxycholic acid ((2S,5R)-5-(4-amino-5-fluoro-2-oxopyrimidin-1(2H)-yl)-1,3-oxathiolan-2-yl)methyl butyrate(WXC04777) Emtricitabine Impurity 28 (1R,2R,5R)-2-ISOPROPYL-5-METHYL-CYCLOHEXANOL Emtricitabine Impurity 22 (+)-NEOMENTHOL (2R,5S)-5-(5-Fluoro-3,4-dihydro-2,4-dioxo-1(2H)-pyrimidinyl)-1,3-oxathiolane-2-carboxylic acid (1R,2S,5R)-5-methyl-2-(1-methylethyl)cyclohexyl ester (2S)-2-[[[(1,1-Dimethylethyl)diphenylsilyl]oxy]methyl]-1,3-oxathiolan-5-ol 5-Acetate Emtricitabine Impurity 18 Emtricitabine Impurity 5-fluoro-1-(2-(hydroxymethyl)-1,3-dioxolan-4-yl)cytosine 5-epi EMtricitabine
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar
- Company Name:TCI (Shanghai) Development Co., Ltd.
- Tel:021-67121386 / 800-988-0390
- Company Name:BeiJing Hwrk Chemicals Limted
- Tel:18516978288 0757-86329057-