ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Flavors and fragrances > Synthetic fragrances > Alcohols spices > Terpenols > 2,6-Dimethyl-7-octen-2-ol
2,6-Dimethyl-7-octen-2-ol Chemical Properties
- Boiling point:84 °C10 mm Hg(lit.)
- Density 0.784 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- refractive index n
- Flash point:170 °F
- form neat
- color A colourless viscous liquid.
- CAS DataBase Reference18479-58-8(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry Reference7-Octen-2-ol, 2,6-dimethyl-(18479-58-8)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemDihydromyrcenol (18479-58-8)
2,6-Dimethyl-7-octen-2-ol Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical PropertiesDihydromyrcenol is a colorless liquid with a fresh citrus-like odor and a lavender note. It is obtained from 3,7-dimethyl-1,6- octadiene (citronellene), the pyrolysis product of cis-pinane and can be prepared by three different processes: (i) by addition of hydrogen chloride and subsequent hydrolysis of the resulting 2,6-dimethyl-2-chloro-7-octene; or (ii) by addition of formic acid and subsequent saponification of the resulting dihydromycrenyl formate; or (iii) by direct hydroxylation with 60–80% sulfuric acid.Dihydromyrcenol is used in fine fragrances as well as in soap and detergent perfumes for fresh lime and citrus-like floral notes.
- OccurrenceFound in the leaf oils of Barosma venusta and in the oil of hops (Gildemeister & Hoffman, 1960)
- PreparationPrepared by adding hydrogen chloride to myrcene followed by hydrolysis under mild conditions (Bedoukian, 1967)
- DefinitionChEBI: A monoterpenoid that is oct-7-en-2-ol substituted by methyl groups at positions 2 and 6 respectively.
- Company Name:Tianjin Zhongxin Chemtech Co., Ltd.
- Company Name:Energy Chemical
- Tel:400-005-6266 021-58432009
- Company Name:Chengdu XiYa Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Company Name:Tianjin heowns Biochemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400 638 7771
- Company Name:Cheng Du Micxy Chemical Co.,Ltd