ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Flavors and fragrances > Synthetic fragrances > Ketones spices > Alicyclic ketones > Methyl cyclopentenolone
Methyl cyclopentenolone Chemical Properties
- Melting point:104-108°C
- Boiling point:170.05°C (rough estimate)
- Density 1.0795 (rough estimate)
- FEMA 2700 | METHYLCYCLOPENTENOLONE
- refractive index 1.4532 (estimate)
- Flash point:100°C
- storage temp. Store at +2°C to +8°C.
- form neat
- color White crystalline powder or fine crystals
- JECFA Number418
- CAS DataBase Reference80-71-7(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry Reference2-Cyclopenten-1-one, 2-hydroxy-3-methyl-(80-71-7)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemMaple lactone (80-71-7)
- Language:EnglishProvider:Methyl cyclopentenolone
Methyl cyclopentenolone Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical PropertiesMethyl cyclopentenolone occurs in beechwood tar
and has a caramel-like (burnt sugar) odor. It has been identified as a flavor
component in food. Crystals of the compound usually contain 1 mol
of water. Synthetic routes of production are of limited importance in comparison
with isolation from beechwood tar. Homologs of cyclotene such as
3-ethyl-2-hydroxy-2-cyclopenten-1-one, C7H10O2, Mr 126.16,
2-hydroxy-3,4-dimethyl-2-cyclopenten-1-one, C7H10O2, Mr 126.16, and 2-hydroxy-3,5-dimethyl-2-cyclopenten-1-one, C7H10O2, Mr 126.16,
are also used as flavor ingredients and have similar caramel-like
Cyclotene and its homologs are frequently used in flavor compositions for its caramel note, for example, in beverages and in confectionery.
- Chemical PropertiesOff-white solid
- OccurrenceReported to be found during the dry distillation of wood and in the corresponding tar oil. It has also been identified in fenugreek (FenaroWs Handbook of Flavor Ingredients, 1975).
- UsesMethyl Cyclopentenolone is a flavoring agent that is a white crys- talline powder. it has a nutty odor suggesting a maple-licorice aroma when diluted. it is soluble in alcohol and propylene glycol, slightly soluble in most fixed oils, and sparingly soluble in water. it is obtained by synthesis. it is also termed 3-methyl-cyclopentane-1,2-dione.
- PreparationBy ketonic hydrolysis of the corresponding dicarboxylic ester (Arctander, 1969)
- Toxicity evaluationThe acute oral LD50 value in guinea-pigs was reported as 1.4 g/kg (Dow Chemical Company, 1953) and that in rats as > 1.85 g/kg, while the acute dermal LD50 value in guinea-pigs exceeded 2 g/kg (Moreno, 1976). Methylcyclopentenolone was lethal to mice and rats at ip doses of 0.5-1 g/kg (Shugaev, 1959), and at a concentration of 7 χ 10-4 m was toxic to cultured human leucocytes (Withers, 1966).
Methyl cyclopentenolone Preparation Products And Raw materials
- 4-HYDROXY-5-PHENYL-4-CYCLOPENTENE-1 3- 3,4-Dimethyl-1,2-cyclopentanedione MAPLE LACTONE ISO-VALERATE METHYLCYCLOPENTENOLONE PROPIONATE Methyl cyclopentenolone Cyclopentene Paraquat dichloride 4-Methyl-2-pentanone Acetonitrile Methyl Kresoxim-methyl Methanol CHLOROPHOSPHONAZO III 2-Butanone Methyl acetate Methyl bromide 1-Methylcyclopentene 3-Ethyl-2-hydroxy-2-cyclopenten-1-one
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:TCI (Shanghai) Development Co., Ltd.
- Tel:021-67121386 / 800-988-0390
- Company Name:Energy Chemical
- Tel:400-005-6266 021-58432009-
- Company Name:Adamas Reagent, Ltd.
- Company Name:Shanghai Hanhong Scientific Co.,Ltd.