ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Chemical Reagents > Organic reagents > Halogenated aliphatic hydrocarbons > 3-Chloro-1,2-propanediol
3-Chloro-1,2-propanediol Chemical Properties
- Melting point:-40°C
- Boiling point:213 °C(lit.)
- Density 1.322 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- vapor pressure 0.04 mm Hg ( 25 °C)
- refractive index n
- Flash point:>230 °F
- storage temp. 2-8°C
- solubility H2O: soluble
- form Liquid
- color Clear pale yellow
- Water Solubility Soluble
- FreezingPoint -40℃
- Merck 14,2145
- BRN 635684
- CAS DataBase Reference96-24-2(CAS DataBase Reference)
- IARC2B (Vol. 101) 2013
- NIST Chemistry Reference1,2-Propanediol, 3-chloro-(96-24-2)
- EPA Substance Registry System3-Chloro-1,2-propanediol (96-24-2)
- Hazard Codes T
- Risk Statements 60-21-23/25-41-39-36-23/24/25-40
- Safety Statements 53-26-36-39-45-38-36/37/39-28A-36/37
- RIDADR UN 2689 6.1/PG 3
- WGK Germany 3
- RTECS TY4025000
- F 3
- TSCA Yes
- HazardClass 6.1
- PackingGroup III
- HS Code 29055998
- Hazardous Substances Data96-24-2(Hazardous Substances Data)
- ToxicityLD50 in mice, rats (g/kg): 0.16, 0.15 orally (Hine)
3-Chloro-1,2-propanediol Usage And Synthesis
- Description3-Chloro-1, 2-propanediol is unusually formed upon the thermal processing of fat-containing foods1. It is useful in organic synthesis. It is an intermediate for the drug dyphylline; used as a solvent for acetate, etc., and as an intermediate for plasticizers, surfactants, and dyes2; be used as a solvent for preparing a plasticizer, a surfactant, a dye intermediate, a drug, or as a dye intermediate mainly for use as an acetyl fiber or the like. Also used as a plasticizer, surfactant and dye intermediate. In the pharmaceutical industry, it is used in the production of phlegm and phlegm and phlegm-removing guaiac oil ether, antiasthmatic drug theophylline, and hydroxyphylline. It is warned that it is a potential carcinogen and has antifertility activity1,3.
- Gunn, S. A., T. C. Gould, and W. A. Anderson. "Possible mechanism of posttesticular antifertility action of 3-chloro-1, 2-propanediol. " Proceedings of the Society for Experimental Biology & Medicine Society for Experimental Biology & Medicine 132.2(1969): 656.
- Chemical PropertiesClear pale yellow liquid
- UsesA metabolite of Dichloropropanols
- UsesTo lower the freezing point of dynamite; in the manufacture of dye intermediates. As rodent chemosterilant.
- UsesIt is used in the synthesis of glycerol esters,amines, and other derivatives; to lower thefreezing point of dynamite; and as a rodentchemosterilant (Merck 1989).
- DefinitionChEBI: A chloropropane-1,2-diol that is propane-1,2-diol substituted by a chloro group at position 3.
- Synthesis Reference(s)Organic Syntheses, Coll. Vol. 1, p. 294, 1941
Synthetic Communications, 24, p. 1959, 1994 DOI: 10.1080/00397919408010203
Synthesis, p. 295, 1989
- General DescriptionA colorless liquid. Denser than water. Contact may irritate skin, eyes and mucous membranes. May be toxic by ingestion. Used to make other chemicals.
- Air & Water ReactionsSoluble in water. Hygroscopic.
- Reactivity Profile3-Chloro-1,2-propanediol is hygroscopic and may be sensitive to prolonged exposure to air. Glycols and their ethers undergo violent decomposition in contact with approximately 70% perchloric acid. .
- HazardToxic by ingestion, inhalation.
- Health HazardGlycerol α-monochlorohydrin is a highlytoxic, teratogenic, and carcinogenic com pound. It is also an eye irritant.
Inhalation of 125 ppm in 4 hours wasfatal to rats. The lethal dose on mice viaintraperitoneal route was 10 mg/kg. Lowdosage can cause sleepiness, and on chronicexposure, weight loss
LD50 value, oral (rats): 26 mg/k
This compound is a strong teratomer,causing severe reproductive effects. Animal studies indicated that the adverse effects wereof spermatogenesis type, related to the testes,sperm duct, and Cowper’s gland. These werepaternal effects
Studies on rats indicated that high exposure levels to glycerol chlorohydrin can giverise to thyroid tumors.
- Health HazardTOXIC; inhalation, ingestion or skin contact with material may cause severe injury or death. Contact with molten substance may cause severe burns to skin and eyes. Avoid any skin contact. Effects of contact or inhalation may be delayed. Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases. Runoff from fire control or dilution water may be corrosive and/or toxic and cause pollution.
- Fire HazardCombustible material: may burn but does not ignite readily. When heated, vapors may form explosive mixtures with air: indoors, outdoors and sewers explosion hazards. Contact with metals may evolve flammable hydrogen gas. Containers may explode when heated. Runoff may pollute waterways. Substance may be transported in a molten form.
- Safety ProfilePoison by ingestion and intraperitoneal routes. Moderately toxic by inhalation. Experimental reproductive effects. A severe eye irritant. Questionable carcinogen with experimental tumorigenic data. Mutation data reported. A chemosterilant for rodents. Combustible when exposed to heat or flame. Reaction with perchloric acid forms a sensitive explosive product more powerful than glyceryl nitrate. When heated to decomposition it emits toxic fumes of Cl-.
- Waste DisposalChemical incineration is the most appropriatemethod of disposal.
3-Chloro-1,2-propanediol Preparation Products And Raw materials
- N-Despropyl Propafenone Hydrochloride FLAVANONE Propafenone Impurity 23 (Propafenone β-D-Glucuronide) 4'-Hydroxy propafenone HCl 2'-Hydroxy-3-phenylpropiophenone 5-Benzyloxy Propafenone (R)-Propafenone Propafenone IMpurity H (EP/BP/USP) N-Depropyl N-Benzyl Propafenone 1-[5-hydroxy-2-[2-hydroxy-3-(propylamino)propoxy]phenyl]-3-phenylpropan-1-one:hydrochloride (S)-Propafenone (S)-5-Hydroxy Propafenone Hydrochloride 5-Hydroxy Propafenone Sulfate 4-Hydroxy Propafenone Hydrochloride Propafenone Impurity 16 (R)-5-Hydroxy Propafenone Hydrochloride [R,(+)]-3-Chloro-1,2-propanediol 2-stearate PROPANEDIOL
- Company Name:Shenyang Gold Jyouki Chemical Industry Co., Ltd Gold
- Tel:13591690399 024-31934011
- Company Name:Jinan Wald Chemical Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:13210588999 0531-88773586-
- Company Name:Shanghai Boyle Chemical Co., Ltd.
- Tel:Mr Qiu:021-50182298(Demestic market) Miss Xu：021-50180596（Abroad market）
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:INTATRADE GmbH
- Tel:+49 3493/605464