ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Organic Chemistry > Ethers and derivatives > Ethers, ether-alcohols > 1-Methoxy-2-propanol
1-Methoxy-2-propanol Chemical Properties
- Melting point:-97 °C
- Boiling point:118-119 °C(lit.)
- Density 0.922 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- vapor density 3.12 (vs air)
- vapor pressure 10.9 mm Hg ( 25 °C)
- refractive index n
- Flash point:93 °F
- storage temp. Store at +2°C to +25°C.
- solubility water: miscible
- form Liquid
- color Colorless
- PH4-7 (200g/l, H2O, 20℃)
- explosive limit1.7-11.5%(V)
- Water Solubility soluble
- Sensitive Hygroscopic
- BRN 1731270
- Exposure limitsTLV-TWA 100 ppm (370 mg/m3) (ACGIH); STEL 150 ppm (555 mg/m3) (ACGIH).
- Stability:Stable. Highly flammable. Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents, acid chlorides, acid anhydrides, water. Moisture-sensitive.
- CAS DataBase Reference107-98-2(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferencePropan-2-ol, 1-methoxy-(107-98-2)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemPropylene glycol 1-methyl ether (107-98-2)
1-Methoxy-2-propanol Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical Propertiescolourless liquid
- Chemical PropertiesPropylene glycol monomethyl ether is a color- less liquid. Ethereal odor. The Odor Threshold is 10 ppm.
- Chemical PropertiesPropylene glycol monomethyl ether is a colorless liquid with a sweet ether-like odor and bitter taste. It is soluble in water, ether, acetone, and benzene.
- UsesPropylene glycol monomethyl ether is primarily used in the manufacture of lacquers and paints, as an anti-freeze in industrial engines, a tailing agent for inks used on very high-speed presses, a coupling agent for resins and dyes in waterbased inks, and a solvent for celluloses, acrylics, dyes, inks, and stains. It is also used in cleaning products such as glass and rug cleaners, carbon and grease removers, and paint and varnish removers; and in pesticide formulations as a solvent for applications to crops and animals.
- UsesPGME is used as a solvent for cellulose, acrylics, dyes, inks, and cellophane.
- UsesA glycol ether and a good biological indicator of exposure.
- General DescriptionA colorless liquid. Flash point near 89°F. Less dense than water. Contact irritates skin, eyes and mucous membranes. Prolonged exposure to vapors may cause coughing, shortness of breath, dizziness and intoxication. Vapors heavier than air. Used as a solvent and as an antifreeze agent.
- Air & Water ReactionsHighly flammable. Soluble in water. Oxidizes readily in air to form unstable peroxides that may explode spontaneously [Bretherick 1979 p.151-154, 164].
- Reactivity Profile1-Methoxy-2-propanol is a methoxy alcohol derivative. The ether being relatively unreactive. Flammable and/or toxic gases are generated by the combination of alcohols with alkali metals, nitrides, and strong reducing agents. They react with oxoacids and carboxylic acids to form esters plus water. Oxidizing agents convert them to aldehydes or ketones. Alcohols exhibit both weak acid and weak base behavior. They may initiate the polymerization of isocyanates and epoxides.
- HazardFlammable, moderate fire risk. TLV: 100 ppm; STEL 150 ppm.
- Health HazardVAPOR: Irritating to eyes, nose, and throat. LIQUID: Irritating to skin and eyes.
- Health HazardPGME is a mild toxicant. The toxicity is lower than that of the methyl, ethyl, and butyl ethers of ethylene glycol. The toxic symptoms from inhaling high concentrations are nausea, vomiting, and general anesthetic effects. In humans, toxic effects may be felt at exposure to a level of 3000–4000 ppm.
The oral and dermal toxicities in test animals were low. The effects were mild depression of the central nervous system and a slight change in liver and kidney. The recovery was rapid. Irritant actions on the skin and eyes of rabbits were low
LC50 value (rats): 7000 ppm /6 h
LD50 value (rats): 5660 mg/kg.
- Fire HazardFLAMMABLE. Flashback along vapor trail may occur. Vapor may explode if ignited in an enclosed area.
- Safety ProfileModerately toxic by intravenous route. Mildly toxic by ingestion, inhalation, and skin contact. Human systemic effects by inhalation: general anesthesia, nausea. A skin and eye irritant. An experimental teratogen. Many glycol ethers have dangerous human reproductive effects. Very dangerous fire hazard when exposed to heat or flame; can react with oxidizing materials. To fight fire, use foam, CO2, dry chemical. When heated to decomposition it emits acrid smoke and irritating fumes. Used as a solvent and in solvent-sealing of cellophane. See also GLYCOL ETHERS and ETHYLENE GLYCOL MONOMETHYL ETHER.
- Potential ExposurePropylene glycol monomethyl ether is used as a solvent for coatings; cellulose esters and acrylics; acrylics dyes; inks, and stains. It may also be used as a heat-transfer fluid.
- ShippingUN3092 1-Methoxy-2-propanol, Hazard Class: 3; Labels: 3-Flammable liquid.
- IncompatibilitiesVapor may form explosive mixture with air. Incompatible with oxidizers (chlorates, nitrates, peroxides, permanganates, perchlorates, chlorine, bromine, fluorine, etc.); contact may cause fires or explosions. Keep away from alkaline materials, strong bases, strong acids, oxoacids, epoxides, acid chlorides, acid anhydrides, isocya- nates, aluminum, and copper. Hygroscopic (i.e., absorbs moisture from the air). May slowly form reactive peroxides during prolonged storage or on exposure to air and light.
- Waste DisposalDissolve or mix the material with a combustible solvent and burn in a chemical incinerator equipped with an afterburner and scrubber. All federal, state, and local environmental regulations must be observed.
1-Methoxy-2-propanol Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Diethylene glycol Methoxy 2-Methoxyethanol PROPYLENE GLYCOL MONOSTEARATE (CONTAINS CA. 35% MONOPALMITATE) (-)-1,4-DI-O-TOSYL-2,3-O-ISOPROPYLIDENETHREITOL 1,2:5,6-Bis-O-(1-methylethylidene)-D-mannitol Dibenzoyltartaric acid Clofibrate 1,3-Dioxolane-4-methanol (R)-(-)-2,2-Dimethyl-1,3-dioxolane-4-methanol PROPYLENE GLYCOL Ethylene glycol 2-Butoxyethanol Ethylene glycol diacetate TRIPROPYLENE GLYCOL MONOMETHYL ETHER Dipropylene glycol TRIPROPYLENE GLYCOL MONOMETHYL ETHER Polyethylene Glycol Monomethyl Ether
- Company Name:Jiangsu RuiJia Chemistry Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:13327926272 0510-87551168-
- Company Name:Shanghai Aladdin Bio-Chem Technology Co.,LTD Gold
- Tel:400-620-6333 021-20337333-801
- Company Name:Yonghua Chemical Technology (Jiangsu) Co., Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:Hangzhou Langmai New Material Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:18879311906 0571-88236869-
- Company Name:Jinan Trands Chemical Co. LTD Gold
- Tel:18888332244 0531-88770911-