Tween 80 Chemical Properties
- Boiling point:>100°C
- Density 1.08 g/mL at 20 °C
- vapor pressure <1 mm Hg ( 20 °C)
- refractive index n
- FEMA 2917 | POLYSORBATE 80
- Flash point:>230 °F
- storage temp. Store at RT.
- form viscous liquid
- color Amber
- Specific Gravity1.080 (25/4℃)
- PH5-7 (50g/l, H2O, 20℃)
- PH Range6
- Water Solubility 5-10 g/100 mL at 23 ºC
- Merck 14,7582
- Hydrophilic-Lipophilic Balance (HLB)10
- EPA Substance Registry SystemPolysorbate 80 (9005-65-6)
Tween 80 Usage And Synthesis
- DescriptionTween 80, commonly known as polysorbate 80, is a synthetic compound that is widely applied in a variety of fields, including foods, medicines, and cosmetics. In food production, it is commonly used as a defoamer for the fermenting process of some wines and as a emulsifier in ice-cream or “puddings” to keep the creamy texture without separating. Tween 80 is also extensively applied in pharmaceutical industry, where it can be found in some vaccines, vitamins and supplements. It is an effective excipient to stabilize aqueous formulations of medications for parenteral administration and to improve the consistency of gel capsules, thus to make pills disperse in the stomach. Besides, it commonly serve as a surfactant and solubilizer in the production of soaps and cosmetics, which is effective to help dissolve ingredients and make products look creamier and more attractive. In laboratory, it is occasionally used for a test to identify the phenotype of a strain or isolate, such as mycobacteria.
- Chemical PropertiesPolysorbate 80 has a faint, characteristic odor and a warm, somewhat bitter taste. It is a mixture of oleate partial esters of sorbitol and sorbitol anhydrides condensed with approximately 20 mole of ethylene oxide (C2H4O) for each mole of sorbitol and its mono- and dianhydrides.
- Chemical PropertiesYellow to amber liquid
- UsesLonzest(R) SMO-20 is used as an emulsifier for textiles, personal care and industrial applications.
- UsesLonzest(R) SMO-5 is a general purpose mid-range HLB, ethoxylated, nonionic surfactant suggested for use in textile chemicals (emulsifier, lubricant), household products and cosmetic formulations (o/w emulsifier, viscosity modifier).
- UsesGlycolube(R) AFA-1 is used as an antistat for PVC and as an antifog for PP, PE, PVC, PS.
- UsesVinylube(R) 38 is an external lubricant for PVC bottle, film, and sheet components with excellent processing abilities and final clarity. It is also used as an antistatic agent. Product Data Sheet
- UsesGlycosperse(R) O-20 KFG is used as an emulsifier (ice cream, whipped topping) and as a solubilizing and dispersing agent in pickles and special vitamin-mineral preparations. Product Data Sheet
- UsesA non ionic detergent for cell lysis
- UsesAs emulsifiers and dispersing agents in medicinal products; as defoamers and emulsifiers in foods. Pharmaceutic aid (surfactant).
- DefinitionChEBI: A polymer composed of PEG-ylated sorbitan, where the total number of poly(ethylene glycol) units is 20 (w + x + y + z = 20) and a single terminal is capped by an oleoyl group.
- brand nameSorlate (Abbott); Tween 80 (ICI Americas).
- General DescriptionAmber-colored viscous liquid. pH (5% aqueous solution) 5-7. Faint odor and bitter taste.
- Air & Water ReactionsWater soluble.
- Reactivity ProfileTween 80 is incompatible with strong alkalis and oxidizers.
- Fire HazardTween 80 is probably combustible.
- Safety ProfileModerately toxic by intravenous route. Mildly toxic by ingestion. Experimental reproductive effects. Questionable carcinogen with experimental tumorigenic data. Human mutation data reported. An eye irritant. When heated to decomposition it emits acrid smoke and irritating fumes.
Tween 80 Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Span 80 TERT-BUTYL ISOCYANIDE COBALT(II) ACETYLACETONATE 2,4-PENTANEDIONE, SILVER DERIVATIVE Aluminum acetylacetonate SALCOMINE Ethyl isocyanoacetate TRIS(2,2,6,6-TETRAMETHYL-3,5-HEPTANEDIONATO)DYSPROSIUM(III) N-BUTYLISOCYANIDE COBALT ETHYLENE DIAMINE CHLORIDE DICHLORO(ETHYLENEDIAMINE)PLATINUM(II) 1,1,3,3-TETRAMETHYLBUTYL ISOCYANIDE PHENYLSELENOL Cupric acetylacetonate BENZYL ISOCYANIDE Tosylmethyl isocyanide METHYL ISOCYANOACETATE Tris(2,4-pentanedionato)chroMiuM(III)
- Company Name:Nantong jinlai chemical co. LTD Gold
- Tel:13806276680 0513-88789156-
- Company Name:Shanghai Aladdin Bio-Chem Technology Co.,LTD Gold
- Tel:400-620-6333 021-20337333-801
- Company Name:Spectrum Chemical Manufacturing Corp. Gold
- Company Name:Valiant Co., Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:GUANGDONG RUNHUA CHEMISTRY CO.,LTD. Gold
- Tel:14749365990 020-36293412-