ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Surfactant > Non-ionic surfactants > Polyol ester type > Polysorbate 20
Polysorbate 20 Chemical Properties
- Melting point:98.9 °C (decomp)
- Boiling point:100 °C
- Density 1.11 g/mL at 20 °C
- vapor pressure <1.4 hPa (20 °C)
- refractive index n
- FEMA 2915 | POLYSORBATE 20
- Flash point:>230 °F
- storage temp. 0-6°C
- solubility 100 g/L
- form viscous liquid
- color Amber
- Specific Gravity1.090～1.130 (20/20℃)
- PH6-8 (50g/l, H2O, 20℃)
- PH Range7
- Water Solubility 100 g/L
- Hydrophilic-Lipophilic Balance (HLB)16.7
- Stability:Stable. Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents.
- EPA Substance Registry SystemPolysorbate 20 (9005-64-5)
Polysorbate 20 Usage And Synthesis
- DescriptionTween 20, whose common commercial names includes Alkest TW 20 and Polysorbate 20, is a mild nonionic surfactant formed by the ethoxylation of sorbitan before the addition of lauric acid which is a medium-chain fatty acid found mainly in coconut oil. It is allowed to be used as the emulsifier, detergent, dispersant, solvent and stabilizer, etc. in a number of fields such as pharmaceutical, chemical, food, textile and other industries due to its stability and relative non-toxicity.
Tween 20 is widely applied in biological techniques and sciences, which can be added to buffers and reagents for immunohistochemistry, such as Western blots and ELISAs, helping to prevent non-specific antibody binding, decrease background staining and enhance reagent spreading. Besides, Tween 20 also has applications in food production as a common food grade additive which are found in many consumables on the market today. It can also be used as a wetting agent in flavored mouth drops such as Ice Drops, in oral or non-gastrointestinal suspensions and in rubber balers in the elastomer industry.
- Chemical PropertiesPolysorbate 20 is a mixture of laurate partial esters of sorbitol and sorbitol anhydrides condensed with approximately 20 mole of ethylene oxide (C2H4O) for each mole of sorbitol and its mono- and dianhydrides. It has a faint, characteristic odor and a warm, somewhat bitter taste.
- Chemical PropertiesYellow liquid
- UsesPharmaceutic aid (surfactant).
- Usespolysorbate 20 is a solubilizer, emulsifier, viscosity modifier, and stabilizer of essential oils in water.
- DefinitionChEBI: A polymer composed of PEG-ylated sorbitan, where the total number of poly(ethylene glycol) units is 20 (w + x + y + z = 20) and a single terminal is capped by a dodecanoyl group.
- PreparationBy condensing the partial esters of sorbitol and its anhydrides with ethylene oxide to effect an oxyethylene copolymerization at the free hydroxyl groups.
- brand nameTween 20 (ICI Americas).
- Safety ProfileModerately toxic by intravenous route. Mddly toxic by ingestion. A human skin irritant. When heated to decomposition it emits acrid smoke and irritating fumes.
Polysorbate 20 Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Ascorbic acid 2-glucoside Tween 80 Sorbitan Polyoxyethylene octylphenol ether Tween 60 Poly(ethylene glycol) alkyl phenyl polyoxyethylene ether OCTYLPHENYLPOLYETHYLENE GLYCOL Sorbitol Bitumen emulsifier Polysorbate 20 Cremophor EL Polyoxyethylene lauryl ether Span 80 POLYETHYLENE GLYCOL MONOOLEYL ETHER Polyethylene Glycol Monocetyl Ether Span 20 EMULSIFIER
- Company Name:GUANGDONG RUNHUA CHEMISTRY CO.,LTD. Gold
- Tel:14749365990 020-36293412
- Products Intro:Product Name:Polysorbate 20
- Company Name:Shanghai Aladdin Bio-Chem Technology Co.,LTD Gold
- Tel:400-620-6333 021-20337333-801
- Products Intro:Product Name:Tween 20
- Company Name:Zhejiang Lianshuo Biotechnology Co., Ltd. Gold
- Products Intro:Product Name:TWEEN 20, 10% SOLUTION, PEROXIDE-FREE
Purity:PROTEOMICS GRADE Package:10ML-5PK Remarks:M228
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Products Intro:Product Name:Tween 20
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Products Intro:Product Name:Tween 20 (=Polyoxyethylene Sorbitan Monolaurate)