ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Surfactant > Non-ionic surfactants > Polyol ester type > Polysorbate 20
Polysorbate 20 Chemical Properties
- Melting point:98.9 °C (decomp)
- Boiling point:100 °C
- Density 1.11 g/mL at 20 °C
- vapor pressure <1.4 hPa (20 °C)
- refractive index n
- FEMA 2915 | POLYSORBATE 20
- Flash point:>230 °F
- storage temp. 0-6°C
- solubility 100 g/L
- form viscous liquid
- color Amber
- Specific Gravity1.090～1.130 (20/20℃)
- PH6-8 (50g/l, H2O, 20℃)
- PH Range7
- Water Solubility 100 g/L
- Hydrophilic-Lipophilic Balance (HLB)16.7
- Stability:Stable. Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents.
- EPA Substance Registry SystemPolysorbate 20 (9005-64-5)
Polysorbate 20 Usage And Synthesis
- DescriptionTween 20, whose common commercial names includes Alkest TW 20 and Polysorbate 20, is a mild nonionic surfactant formed by the ethoxylation of sorbitan before the addition of lauric acid which is a medium-chain fatty acid found mainly in coconut oil. It is allowed to be used as the emulsifier, detergent, dispersant, solvent and stabilizer, etc. in a number of fields such as pharmaceutical, chemical, food, textile and other industries due to its stability and relative non-toxicity.
Tween 20 is widely applied in biological techniques and sciences, which can be added to buffers and reagents for immunohistochemistry, such as Western blots and ELISAs, helping to prevent non-specific antibody binding, decrease background staining and enhance reagent spreading. Besides, Tween 20 also has applications in food production as a common food grade additive which are found in many consumables on the market today. It can also be used as a wetting agent in flavored mouth drops such as Ice Drops, in oral or non-gastrointestinal suspensions and in rubber balers in the elastomer industry.
- Chemical PropertiesPolysorbate 20 is a mixture of laurate partial esters of sorbitol and sorbitol anhydrides condensed with approximately 20 mole of ethylene oxide (C2H4O) for each mole of sorbitol and its mono- and dianhydrides. It has a faint, characteristic odor and a warm, somewhat bitter taste.
- Chemical PropertiesYellow liquid
- UsesPharmaceutic aid (surfactant).
- Usespolysorbate 20 is a solubilizer, emulsifier, viscosity modifier, and stabilizer of essential oils in water.
- DefinitionChEBI: A polymer composed of PEG-ylated sorbitan, where the total number of poly(ethylene glycol) units is 20 (w + x + y + z = 20) and a single terminal is capped by a dodecanoyl group.
- PreparationBy condensing the partial esters of sorbitol and its anhydrides with ethylene oxide to effect an oxyethylene copolymerization at the free hydroxyl groups.
- brand nameTween 20 (ICI Americas).
- Safety ProfileModerately toxic by intravenous route. Mddly toxic by ingestion. A human skin irritant. When heated to decomposition it emits acrid smoke and irritating fumes.
Polysorbate 20 Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Polyoxyethylene octylphenol ether Tween 60 Poly(ethylene glycol) alkyl phenyl polyoxyethylene ether Ascorbic acid 2-glucoside OCTYLPHENYLPOLYETHYLENE GLYCOL Sorbitol Bitumen emulsifier Polysorbate 20 Cremophor EL Polyoxyethylene lauryl ether Span 80 POLYETHYLENE GLYCOL MONOOLEYL ETHER Polyethylene Glycol Monocetyl Ether Span 20 EMULSIFIER Food emulgent -60 TWEEN-60
- Company Name:Guangdong Runhua Chemical Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:13602895725 020-87568805-
- Products Intro:Product Name:Polysprbate20;Tween20
- Company Name:Shanghai Aladdin Bio-Chem Technology Co.,LTD Gold
- Products Intro:Product Name:Tween 20
- Company Name:Zhejiang Lianshuo Biotechnology Co., Ltd. Gold
- Products Intro:Product Name:TWEEN 20, 10% SOLUTION, PEROXIDE-FREE
Purity:PROTEOMICS GRADE Package:10ML-5PK Remarks:M228
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Products Intro:Product Name:Tween 20
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Products Intro:Product Name:Tween 20 (=Polyoxyethylene Sorbitan Monolaurate)