Span 60 Chemical Properties
- Melting point:54-57 °C(lit.)
- Boiling point:464.84°C (rough estimate)
- Density 1.00
- vapor pressure <1.4 hPa (20 °C)
- refractive index 1.4593 (estimate)
- FEMA 3028 | SORBITAN MONOSTEARATE
- Flash point:>230 °F
- storage temp. Store below +30°C.
- solubility Practically insoluble, but dispersible in water, slightly soluble in alcohol.
- form Solid
- color Cream coloured flakes
- Water Solubility Soluble in ethanol (50 mg/ml), isopropanol, mineral oil and vegetable oil. Insoluble in water.
- Merck 14,8724
- BRN 6820761
- Hydrophilic-Lipophilic Balance (HLB)4.7
- Stability:Stable. Combustible. Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents.
- CAS DataBase Reference1338-41-6(CAS DataBase Reference)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemSorbitan monostearate (1338-41-6)
Span 60 Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical PropertiesLiquid
- Chemical PropertiesSorbitan monostearate has a bland odor and taste. It is a mixture of partial stearic and palmitic acid esters of sorbitol and its mono- and dianhydrides. For additional details of description, refer to Burdock (1997).
- Usessorbitan stearate is an emulsifier for water-in-oil creams and lotions, and a solubilizer of essential oils in water. It results from the reaction of stearic acid with sorbitol and is, therefore, synthetically produced from naturally derived materials.
- UsesSorbitan Monostearate (Span 60) is a lipophilic emulsifier that is a sorbitan fatty acid ester, being a sorbitol-derived analog of glycerol monostearate. It is a nonionic, oil-dispersible surface-active agent. It is used as a gloss enhancer in chocolate coatings; as a dispersant aid in coffee whiteners; to increase volume in cakes and icings; and often in combination with polysorbates. Typical usage level ranges from 0.30 to 0.70%.
- UsesGlycomul(R) L is a sorbitan ester used for emulsification.
- UsesGlycomul(R) S KFG is used as emulsifier for baked goods, icings & filings and whipped toppings. It is also used as a rehydration aid (production of active dry yeast) and as synthetic flavoring substances and adjuvants. Product Data Sheet
- UsesLonzest(R) SMS is used as a pigment dispersion additive for PP color concentrates and as an antistatic agent for PVC.
- PreparationPrepared by reacting edible commercial stearic acid (usually containing associated fatty acids, chiefly palmitic) with sorbitol.
- Safety ProfileVery mildly toxic by ingestion. Experimental reproductive effects. A skin irritant. When heated to decomposition it emits acrid smoke and irritating fumes.
Span 60 Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Metalaxyl Calcium stearate EMULSIFIER Polyoxyethylene stearate GLYCERYL MONOSTEARATE Magnesium stearate GLYCERYL MONOSTEARATE ETHYLENE GLYCOL MONOSTEARATE SORBITAN TRISTEARATE MANGANESE STEARATE Sorbitan, octadecanoate (2:3) Sorbitan, dioctadecanoate STEARATE Monostearin Tween 80 OCTYLPHENYLPOLYETHYLENE GLYCOL Sorbitol Bitumen emulsifier
Span 60 SupplierMore
- Company Name:GUANGDONG RUNHUA CHEMISTRY CO.,LTD. Gold
- Tel:14749365990 020-36293412-
- Company Name:Nantong Haitian Chemical Co., Ltd Gold
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Company Name:3B Pharmachem (Wuhan) International Co.,Ltd.
- Tel:18930552037 821-50328103-801