ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Chemical Reagents > Organic reagents > Phenols > 6-tert-Butyl-m-cresol
6-tert-Butyl-m-cresol Chemical Properties
- Melting point:20 °C
- Boiling point:117-118 °C12 mm Hg(lit.)
- Density 0.964 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- refractive index n
- Flash point:222 °F
- storage temp. Inert atmosphere,Room Temperature
- Specific Gravity0.9590.964
- CAS DataBase Reference88-60-8(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferencePhenol, 2-(1,1-dimethylethyl)-5-methyl-(88-60-8)
- EPA Substance Registry System6-tert-Butyl-m-cresol (88-60-8)
6-tert-Butyl-m-cresol Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical Propertiesclear colorless viscous liquid
- Synthesis Reference(s)Tetrahedron Letters, 31, p. 6977, 1990 DOI: 10.1016/S0040-4039(00)97220-4
- General DescriptionA clear colorless liquid. Flash point 116°F. Melting point 74°F. Less dense than water and insoluble in water. Used as a disinfectant, to make rubber, as a lubricating oil additive, and for many other uses.
- Air & Water ReactionsFlammable. Insoluble in water.
- Reactivity ProfilePhenols, such as 6-tert-Butyl-m-cresol, do not behave as organic alcohols, as one might guess from the presence of a hydroxyl (-OH) group in their structure. Instead, they react as weak organic acids. Phenols and cresols are much weaker as acids than common carboxylic acids (phenol has Ka = 1.3 x 10^[-10]). These materials are incompatible with strong reducing substances such as hydrides, nitrides, alkali metals, and sulfides. Flammable gas (H2) is often generated, and the heat of the reaction may ignite the gas. Heat is also generated by the acid-base reaction between phenols and bases. Such heating may initiate polymerization of the organic compound. Phenols are sulfonated very readily (for example, by concentrated sulfuric acid at room temperature). The reactions generate heat. Phenols are also nitrated very rapidly, even by dilute nitric acid.
- Health HazardInhalation or contact with material may irritate or burn skin and eyes. Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases. Vapors may cause dizziness or suffocation. Runoff from fire control or dilution water may cause pollution.
6-tert-Butyl-m-cresol Preparation Products And Raw materials
tert-butyl-p-cresol 6-TERT-BUTYL-M-CRESOL AND SULFUR DICHLORIDE REACTION PRODUCT 4,6 DI-TERT-BUTYL ORTHO-CRESOL,4,6-di-tert-butyl-o-creso 5-tert-butyl-m-cresol 5-tert-butyl-o-cresol 2,4-DI-TERT-BUTYL-M-CRESOL 2,2'-(octahydro-4,7-methano-1H-indenediyl)bis[6-tert-butyl-p-cresol] 4-TERT-BUTYL-O-CRESOL,4-TERT-BUTYL ORTHO-CRESOL,6-Hydroxy-1-methyl-3-tert.-butyl-benzol4-tert-butyl-o-creso TERT-BUTYL-M-CRESOL MEDINOTERB ACETATE 3-tert-butyl-2-hydroxy-6-methylbenzoic acid 1,4-DI-TERT-BUTYL-2,5-DIMETHOXYBENZENE Oxymetazoline hydrochloride 2-tert-butyl-5-methylanisole 4,4'-BUTYLIDENEBIS(6-TERT-BUTYL-M-CRESOL) 3-tert-Butylphenol 3-Ethylphenol tert-Butyldimethylsilyl chloride
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:TCI (Shanghai) Development Co., Ltd.
- Tel:021-67121386 / 800-988-0390
- Company Name:Energy Chemical
- Tel:400-005-6266 021-58432009-
- Company Name:Nanjing Datang Chemical Co., Ltd
- Company Name:Adamas Reagent, Ltd.