ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Organic Chemistry > Ethers and derivatives > Ethers, ether-alcohols > Butyldiglycol
- Product Name:Butyldiglycol
- Synonyms: 2-(2-Butoxyethoxy)ethanol, Butyldiglycol, DB Solvent 2-(2-Butoxyethoxy)ethanol, Butyldiglycol 2-(2-Butoxyethoxy)ethanol, Butyldiglycol, DOWANOL(R) DB O-Butyl diethyl glycol 2-(2-Butoxyetoxy)ethanol Butyldiglycol DB Solvent Diethylene glycol monobutyl ether,2-(2-Butoxyethoxy)ethanol, Butyldiglycol Diethylene glycol monobutyl ether, synthesis grade
- Product Categories: Alcohols Building Blocks C7 to C8 Chemical Synthesis Organic Building Blocks Oxygen Compounds - Colorless liquid with a mild pleasant odor. Mixes with water. Ethylene Glycols & Monofunctional Ethylene Glycols Monofunctional Ethylene Glycols
- Mol File:112-34-5.mol
Butyldiglycol Chemical Properties
- Melting point:-68 °C(lit.)
- Boiling point:231 °C(lit.)
- Density 0.967 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- vapor density 5.6 (vs air)
- vapor pressure 30 mm Hg ( 130 °C)
- refractive index n
- Flash point:212 °F
- storage temp. Store below +30°C.
- OdorMild, characteristic; pleasant.
- explosive limit0.7-5.9%(V)
- Water Solubility soluble
- Merck 14,1557
- BRN 1739225
- Stability:Stable. Combustible. Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents, strong bases.
- CAS DataBase Reference112-34-5(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry Reference2-(2-Butoxyethoxy)ethanol(112-34-5)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemEthanol, 2-(2-butoxyethoxy)-(112-34-5)
Butyldiglycol Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical PropertiesDiethylene glycol monobutyl ether is a colorless, high-boiling liquid with a mild odour. It is miscible in proportions with water, alcohol (methanol), ketones (acetone), ethers (ethyl ether), aromatic hydrocarbons (benzene), paraffinic hydrocarbons (n-heptane), and halogenated hydrocarbons (carbon tetrachloride). As it is an ether-alcohol type compound it possesses solvent action for many substances such as oils, dyes, gums, and natural and synthetic resins. It is used as a high-boiling solvent in nitrocellulose lacquers and other synthetic coatings, baking lacquers, flash-dry printing inks, and dye bath.
- UsesDiethylene glycol monobutyl ether (DGBE)is used as a solvent for cellulose ester,lacquers, varnishes, and dyes; as a primarycomponent of the aqueous film-forming foam that is used by the U.S. Navy in shipboardfirefighting systems (Hobson et al. 1987).
- General DescriptionColorless liquid with a mild pleasant odor. Mixes with water.
- Air & Water ReactionsOxidizes readily in air to form unstable peroxides that may explode spontaneously [Bretherick, 1979 p.151-154, 164]. Water soluble.
- Reactivity ProfileButyldiglycol is a ether-alcohol derivative. The ether being relatively unreactive. Flammable and/or toxic gases are generated by the combination of alcohols with alkali metals, nitrides, and strong reducing agents. They react with oxoacids and carboxylic acids to form esters plus water. Oxidizing agents convert alcohols to aldehydes or ketones. Alcohols exhibit both weak acid and weak base behavior. They may initiate the polymerization of isocyanates and epoxides.
- Health HazardInhalation for brief periods has no significant effect. Contact with liquid causes moderate irritation of eyes and corneal injury. Prolonged contact with skin causes only minor irritation.
- Health HazardDGBE showed low toxicity in test species.Toxic symptoms are similar to those ofother glycol ethers containing two etherealoxygen atoms. The routes of entry into thebody are ingestion and absorption throughthe skin. Hobson and coworkers (1987)investigated the subchronic oral toxicity ofDGBE in rats. The toxic effects observedwere lowering of food consumption, elevatedliver and spleen weights, lowered redblood cell counts and lymphocyte counts,and a dose-related decrease in corpuscularhemoglobin concentration. The high dosescaused pulmonary congestion. No renaldamage was reported.
LD50 value, oral (guinea pigs): 2000 mg/kg
DGBE is an eye irritant. There is no reporton teratogenicity of this compound.
- Fire HazardButyldiglycol is combustible.
- Chemical ReactivityReactivity with Water No reaction; Reactivity with Common Materials: No reaction; Stability During Transport: Stable; Neutralizing Agents for Acids and Caustics: Not pertinent; Polymerization: Not pertinent; Inhibitor of Polymerization: Not pertinent.
- Contact allergensThis organic solvent belongs to the carbitols group and is included in waterbased liquids such as paints, surface cleaners, polishes, and disinfectants. It is considered to be an exceptional allergen.
- Safety ProfileModerately toxic by ingestion and intraperitoneal routes. Mddly toxic by skin contact. A severe eye irritant. Combustible when exposed to heat or flame; can react with oxidizing materials. To fight fire, use alcohol foam, CO2, or dry chemical. When heated to decomposition it emits acrid smoke and irritating fumes. See also GLYCOL ETHERS.
- Purification MethodsDry the ether with anhydrous K2CO3 or CaSO4, filter and fractionally distil it. Peroxides can be removed by refluxing with stannous chloride or a mixture of FeSO4 and KHSO4 (or, less completely, by filtration under slight pressure through a column of activated alumina). [Beilstein 1 IV 2394.]
- Waste DisposalDGBE is mixed with a combustible solventand burned in a chemical incinerator. Smallamounts may be disposed down the drainwith large amounts of water.
Butyldiglycol Preparation Products And Raw materials
- tert-Butyl peroxyacetate Diethylene Glycol Monoethyl Ether DIETHOXYMETHANE Tetrabutyl titanate 2-Ethoxyethanol Butyl acrylate Ethoxyquin Butyldiglycol Ethylene glycol diacetate Ethoxyethyne TRIETHYLENE GLYCOL MONOBUTYL ETHER 2-(2-Methoxyethoxy)ethanol BUTYL OLEATE Dipropylene glycol 2-Phenoxyethanol butyl rubber Tetrabutylammonium bromide Diethylene glycol diacrylate
- Company Name:Dalian Rivin Technology Co., Ltd Gold
- Company Name:Shanghai Aladdin Bio-Chem Technology Co.,LTD Gold
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 +86-10-82848833
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:+86-(0)21-61259100(Shanghai) +86-(0)755-86170099(ShenZhen) +86-(0)10-62670440(Beijing)
- Company Name:future industrial shanghai co., ltd