ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Organic Chemistry > Ethers and derivatives > Ethers, ether-alcohols > Diethylene Glycol Monoethyl Ether
Diethylene Glycol Monoethyl Ether
Diethylene Glycol Monoethyl Ether Chemical Properties
- Melting point:-80 °C
- Boiling point:202 °C(lit.)
- Density 0.999 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- vapor density 4.63 (vs air)
- vapor pressure 0.12 mm Hg ( 20 °C)
- refractive index n
- Flash point:205 °F
- storage temp. Store below +30°C.
- solubility water: soluble
- form Liquid
- color Clear colorless
- OdorWeakly fruity; mild and characteristic.
- explosive limit1.8-12.2%(V)
- Water Solubility Miscible
- Sensitive Hygroscopic
- Merck 14,1800
- BRN 1736441
- Stability:Stable. Combustible. Note wide explosion limits. Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents, strong acids, acid chlorides, acid anhydrides. Hygroscopic.
- CAS DataBase Reference111-90-0(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferenceEthanol, 2-(2-ethoxyethoxy)-(111-90-0)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemDiethylene glycol monoethyl ether (111-90-0)
Diethylene Glycol Monoethyl Ether Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical PropertiesDiethylene glycol monoethyl ether is a colorless, stable, hygroscopic liquid of a mild, pleasant odor. It is completely miscible with water, alcohols, ethers, ketones, aromatic and aliphatic hydrocarbons, and halogenated hydrocarbons. Owing to the fact that it contains an ether-alcohol-hydrocarbon group in the molecule, it has the power to dissolve a wide variety of substances such as oils, fats, waxes, dyes, camphor and natural resins like copal resin, kauri, mastic, rosin, sandarac, shellac, as well as several types of synthetic resins. It is used as a solvent in synthetic resin coating compositions, and in lacquers, where high-boiling solvents are desired.
- OccurrenceHas apparently not been reported to occur in nature.
- UsesUsually used as solvent for the polymer electrospinning.
- DefinitionChEBI: A primary alcohol that is ethanol substituted by a 2-ethoxyethoxy group at position 2.
- PreparationFrom ethyl alcohol plus ethylene oxide (Arctander, 1969).
- General DescriptionA colorless, slightly viscous liquid with a mild pleasant odor. Flash point near 190°F. Used to make soaps, dyes, and other chemicals.
- Air & Water ReactionsSlightly denser than water and soluble in water. Oxidizes readily in air to form unstable peroxides that may explode spontaneously [Bretherick, 1979 p.151-154, 164].
- Reactivity ProfileMixing 2(2-Ethoxyethoxy)ethanol in equal molar portions with any of the following substances in a closed container caused the temperature and pressure to increase: chlorosulfonic acid and oleum, NFPA 1991.
- Health HazardNone expected.
- Fire Hazard2(2-Ethoxyethoxy)ethanol is combustible.
- Chemical ReactivityReactivity with Water : No reaction; Reactivity with Common Materials: No reaction; Stability During Transport: Stable; Neutralizing Agents for Acids and Caustics: Not pertinent; Polymerization: V; Inhibitor of Polymerization: Not pertinent.
- Safety Profileirritation, and unspecified eye effects, cough,
- MetabolismThe major part of an administered dose of diethylene glycol monoethyl ether is oxidized in the body or excreted as the glucuronate, administration to rabbits orally or by sc injection being followed by a marked increase in the urinary content of glucuronic acid (Fellows, Luduena & Hanzlik, 1947).
- Purification MethodsEthylene glycol can be removed by extracting 250g in 750mL of *benzene with 5mL portions of water, allowing for phase separation, until successive aqueous portions show the same volume increase. Dry, and free from peroxides, as described for diethylene glycol mono-n-butyl ether. [Beilstein 1 IV 2393.]
Diethylene Glycol Monoethyl Ether Preparation Products And Raw materials
- PROPYLENE GLYCOL 1,4-Butanediol Ethyl maltol Ethylene glycol diacetate Trinexapac-ethyl Diethylene glycol diacrylate Ethyl propionate Diethyl ether ISOXADIFEN-ETHYL Hydroxyethyl Cellulose Ethyl formate Diethylene glycol monomethyl ether Dipropylene glycol Triethylsilane 2-(2-Ethoxyethoxy)ethyl acetate 2-(2-Butoxyethoxy)ethanol, Butyldiglycol, DOWANOL(R) DB,DOWANOL DB,DI(ETHYLENE GLYCOL) BUTYL ETHER, 99+% (DOWANOL DB) Ethyl cellulose Ethylene glycol monoethyl ether acetate
Diethylene Glycol Monoethyl EtherSupplierMore
- Company Name:Beijing Holiyang Chemical Co. Ltd. Gold
- Tel:13718199399 010-69380220-
- Company Name:Shandong yousheng chemical co., ltd Gold
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar