ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > API > Antipyretic analgesics > Antipyretic analgesics > Salicylamide
Salicylamide Chemical Properties
- Melting point:140-144 °C(lit.)
- Boiling point:270°C
- Density 1,175 g/cm3
- refractive index 1.5323 (estimate)
- Flash point:181°C/14mm
- storage temp. Inert atmosphere,Room Temperature
- solubility methanol: 0.1 g/mL, clear
- pkapKa 8.13(H2O t = 37) (Uncertain)
- form Crystalline Powder
- color White
- PH Range5 (0.2% aq soln)
- Water Solubility <0.1 g/100 mL at 20 ºC
- Decomposition 270°C
- Merck 14,8328
- BRN 742439
- Stability:Stable. Light sensitive. Incompatible with strong bases, strong oxidizing agents.
- CAS DataBase Reference65-45-2(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferenceBenzamide, 2-hydroxy-(65-45-2)
- EPA Substance Registry Systemo-Hydroxybenzamide (65-45-2)
Salicylamide Usage And Synthesis
- DescriptionSalicylamide is less acidic (pKa 8.2) than other salicylic acid derivatives. Although poorly soluble in water, stable solutions can be formed at pH 9 through ionization of the phenolic group. It is absorbed from the GI tract on oral administration and is rapidly metabolized to inactive metabolites by intestinal mucosa, but not by hydrolysis. Activity appears to reside in the intact molecule. Salicylamide is approximately 40 to 55% plasma protein bound, and it competes with other salicylates and acetaminophen for glucuronide conjugation, decreasing the extent of conjugation of these other drugs.
- Chemical Propertieswhite or light pink crystals or powder
- UsesMedicine (analgesic).
- Usessalicylamide is an analgesic, fungicide, and anti-inflammatory ingredient used to soothe the skin. Salicylamide is an aromatic amide.
- DefinitionChEBI: The simplest member of the class of salicylamides derived from salicylic acid.
- General DescriptionSalicylamide, o-hydroxybenzamide, is a derivative of salicylicacid that is fairly stable to heat, light, and moisture. Itreportedly exerts a moderately quicker and deeper analgesiceffect than aspirin because of quicker CNS penetration. Its metabolismdiffers from aspirin, because it is not metabolized tosalicylic acid but rather excreted exclusively as the ether glucuronideor sulfate. Thus, as a result of lack of contributionfrom salicylic acid, it has a lower analgesic and antipyretic efficacythan that of aspirin. However, it can be used in place ofsalicylates for patients with a demonstrated sensitivity to salicylates.It is also excreted much more rapidly than other salicylates,which accounts for its lower toxicity. It is available inseveral nonprescription products, in combination with acetaminophenand phenyltoloxamine (e.g., Rid-A Pain compound,Cetazone T, Dolorex, Ed-Flex, Lobac) or with aspirin,acetaminophen, and caffeine (e.g., Saleto, BC Powder).
- General DescriptionOdorless white or slightly pink crystals. Bitter taste, leaves a sensation of warmth on the tongue. pH (saturated aqueous solution at 82°F) about 5. Sublimation begins at the melting point.
- Air & Water ReactionsSalicylamide darkens on exposure to air. . Insoluble in water.
- Reactivity ProfileSalicylamide is an amide. Amides/imides react with azo and diazo compounds to generate toxic gases. Flammable gases are formed by the reaction of organic amides/imides with strong reducing agents. Amides are very weak bases (weaker than water). Imides are less basic yet and in fact react with strong bases to form salts. That is, they can react as acids. Mixing amides with dehydrating agents such as P2O5 or SOCl2 generates the corresponding nitrile. The combustion of these compounds generates mixed oxides of nitrogen (NOx). Salicylamide may be sensitive to prolonged exposure to light.
- Fire HazardFlash point data for Salicylamide are not available; however, Salicylamide is probably combustible.
- Clinical UseWhereas salicylamide is reported to be as effective as aspirin as an analgetic/antipyretic and is effective in relieving pain associated with arthritic conditions, it does not appear to possess useful anti-inflammatory activity. Thus, indications for the treatment of arthritic disease states are unwarranted, and its use is restricted to the relief of minor aches and pain at a dosage of 325 to 650 mg three or four times per day. Its effects in humans are not reliable, however, and its use is not widely recommended.
- Purification MethodsCrystallise the amide from water or repeatedly from CHCl3 [Nishiya et al. J Am Chem Soc 108 3880 1986]. [Beilstein 10 IV 169.] The anilide [87-17-2] M 213.2, m 135o crystallises from H2O. [Beilstein 12 H 500, 12 I 268, 12 II 256, 12 944.]
Salicylamide Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Salicylanilide 3-Methyl-4H-1,2,4-benzothiadiazine 1,1-dioxide Benzenesulfonamide, 4-amino-2-chloro- 6,7-Dichloro-3-methyl-2H-1,2,4-benzothiadiazine 1,1-dioxide 4-AMINO-6-CHLORO-BENZENE-1,3-DISULFONYL DICHLORIDE HYDROCHLOROTHIAZIDE-3,3-D2 Hydrochlorothiazide-13C,d2 Hydrochlorothiazide Impurity 4 1-CHLOROPHTHALAZINE 5-Chloroorthanilic acid 5-Chloro Hydrochlorothiazide RARECHEM AL BO 1272 Chlorothiazide NSC525339 Hydrochlorothiazide Impurity 15 Hydrochlorothiazide Related Compound (N-[(2-Aminophenyl)sulfonyl] Acetamide) 4-Amino-6-chlorobenzene-1,3-disulfonamide Hydrochlorothiazide Impurity 6
- Company Name:Nanjing Jiangyan Chemical Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:15850530966 15850530966
- Company Name:Panjin pulefei trading co. LTD Gold
- Tel:15184272369 0427-6572597-
- Company Name:JinJin Le Chemical Co., Ltd Gold
- Company Name:Jinan Wald Chemical Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:13210588999 0531-88773586-
- Company Name:Henan kunsuo Trade Co., Ltd Gold
- Tel:18039395137 0371-53300399-