ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > API > Antipyretic analgesics > Antipyretic analgesics > Sodium salicylate
Sodium salicylate Chemical Properties
- Melting point:>300 °C(lit.)
- Density 0.32 g/cm3 (20℃)
- storage temp. +15C to +30C
- solubility 1000g/l
- form Crystals or Crystalline Powder
- color White
- PH6.5 (100g/l, H2O, 20℃)
- Water Solubility 1000 g/L (20 ºC)
- Sensitive Light Sensitive
- Merck 14,8332
- BRN 3732792
- Stability:Stable. Incompatible with mineral acids, metallic salts, iodine. May be light-sensitive.
- CAS DataBase Reference54-21-7(CAS DataBase Reference)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemSodium salicylate (54-21-7)
Sodium salicylate Usage And Synthesis
- DescriptionSodium salicylate is a sodium salt of salicylic acid. It can be prepared from sodium phenolate and carbon dioxide under higher temperature and pressure. Historically, it has been synthesized from methyl salicylate (found in wintergreen plants or the bark of sweet birch tree) by reacting it with an excess of sodium hydroxide and heating it under reflux.
- Chemical PropertiesSodium salicylate, HOC6H4COONa, is a shiny, white powder with sweetish taste and mild aromatic aroma that is soluble in water,glycerol, and alcohol.Used in medicine and as a preservative.
- Chemical PropertiesSodium salicylate is of the salicylate family and this compound is known to trigger Reye's Syndrome in children and adults, usually following a viral infection such as influenza or chicken pox. Products containing such salicylates should not be given to children under the age of 19.
- UsesIn manufacture of aspirin, methyl salicylate, and other salicylates. Coupling agent for azo dyes. Has been used as food preservative.
- UsesIt is used in medicine as an analgesic and antipyretic. Sodium salicylate also acts as non - steroidal anti - inflammatory drug (NSAID), and induces apoptosis in cancer cells and also necrosis. It is also a potential replacement for aspirin for people sensitive to it. It may also be used as a phosphor for the detection of vacuum ultra violet radiation and electrons.
- DefinitionA salt or ester of salicylic acid.
- brand nameAlysine (Marion Merrell Dow).
- General DescriptionSodium salicylate may be prepared by the reaction, in aqueoussolution, by adding equal molar ratio of salicylic acidand sodium bicarbonate; evaporating to dryness yields thewhite salt. In solution, particularly in the presence of sodiumbicarbonate, the salt will darken on standing. This is the saltof choice for salicylate medication and usually is administeredwith sodium bicarbonate to lessen gastric distress, or itis administered in enteric coated tablets. However, the useof sodium bicarbonate is ill advised, because it decreases theplasma levels of salicylate and increases the excretion offree salicylate in the urine.
Sodium salicylate, even though not as potent as aspirinfor pain relief, also has less GI irritation and is useful for patientswho are hypersensitive to aspirin.
- Safety ProfileExperimental poison by subcutaneous route. Moderately toxic to humans by ingestion. Moderately toxic experimentally by ingestion, intraperitoneal, and intravenous routes. An experimental teratogen. Human systemic effects by multiple and unspecified routes: toxic psychosis, excitement, respiratory stimulation, nausea or vomiting, and sweating. Experimental reproductive effects. Mutation data reported. A powerful irritant which affects the central nervous system. Incompatible with ferric salts, mineral acids, iodme, lead acetate, silver nitrate, sodium phosphate powder. When heated to decomposition it emits toxic fumes of Na2O.
Sodium salicylate Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Methyl salicylate Diclofenac sodium Mordant Blue 3 Mordant Yellow 12 SODIUM GAMMA-RESORCYLATE Mordant Blue 29 2-HYDROXY-3-METHYL-5-[(4-SULFOPHENYL)AZO]BENZOIC ACID SODIUM SALT Sodium gentisate 2-HYDROXY-5-METHOXYBENZOIC ACID SODIUM 4,4'-Methylenebis(3-hydroxy-2-naphthoic acid) disodium salt Mordant Yellow 10 SOLOCHROME ORANGE NAPHTHOCHROME GREEN Mordant Yellow 3 Olsalazine sodium Sodium 4-hydroxybenzoate Sodium benzoate Sodium bicarbonate
- Company Name:Yixing City Shengguang Pharmaceutical and Chemical Co., Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:Wuhai Shuou Technology Co., Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:Nanjing Jiangyan Chemical Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:15850530966 15850530966
- Company Name:wuhan dingxingtong Chemical Technology Co., Ltd Co., Ltd Gold
- Company Name:Foshan DaoQi Biological Co., Ltd. Gold