Mineral oil Chemical Properties
- Density 0.85 g/mL at 20 °C
- vapor pressure 0.0001 hPa (20 °C)
- refractive index n
- Flash point:185 °C
- storage temp. room temp
- form light oil
- color white
- OdorVery faint.
- Water Solubility insoluble
- λmaxλ: 260 nm Amax: 0.7
λ: 280 nm Amax: 1.0
- EPA Substance Registry SystemWhite mineral oil (petroleum) (8042-47-5)
Mineral oil Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical PropertiesHeavy white oil
- Chemical PropertiesMineral oil mist is a colorless, oily liquid aerosol dispersed in air with an odor like burned lubricating oil. The odor threshold is 1.0 ppm.
- UsesFor routine PCR amplifications. Minimizes evaporation of reactions run in PCR instruments without heated lids.
- Usesmineral oil is an emollient cleanser and demulsifier of dirt trapped in pores. Mineral oil is excellent for use in cleansers. In leave-on cosmetics, its comedogenicity or lack thereof appears related to the level of raw material refinement; therefore, some suppliers state that their product is non-comedogenic. When used in leave-on preparations, mineral oil’s occlusive capability is considered to help improve the epidermal barrier function. This is a clear, odorless oil derived from petroleum and is not known to cause allergic reactions.
- IndicationsFecal softeners are substances that are not absorbed from the alimentary canal and act by increasing the bulk of the feces and softening the stool so that it is easier to pass. Mineral oil has been in use for many years, either as the oil or as a white emulsion; it is a mixture of liquid hydrocarbons. Its use has been criticized for many reasons. It dissolves the fat-soluble vitamins and prevents their absorption.
- brand nameBalneol (Solvay Pharmaceuticals); Neo-Cultol (Fisons); Nujol (Schering-Plough HealthCare).
- Health HazardRecommended Personal Protective Equipment: Goggles or face shield; Symptoms Following Exposure: Ingestion of liquid can cause very loose bowel movements; General Treatment for Exposure: EYES: wash with water; Toxicity by Inhalation (Threshold Limit Value): Not pertinent; Short-Term Inhalation Limits: Not pertinent; Toxicity by Ingestion: Grade 1, LD50 = 5 to 15 g/kg; Late Toxicity: None; Vapor (Gas) Irritant Characteristics: None; Liquid or Solid Irritant Characteristics: None; Odor Threshold: Not pertinent.
- Chemical ReactivityReactivity with Water No reaction; Reactivity with Common Materials: No reaction; Stability During Transport: Stable; Neutralizing Agents for Acids and Caustics: Not pertinent; Polymerization: Not pertinent; Inhibitor of Polymerization: Not pertinent.
- Side effectsIt is itself absorbed slightly and appears in the mesenteric lymph nodes, and if it is inhaled into the lungs (which it may be in elderly or debilitated patients), it may produce inflammatory responses such as lipoid pneumonia. Its continual use, therefore, is contraindicated, although its occasional administration in otherwise well patients is not harmful. It is employed primarily in patients who must avoid straining at stool, including persons with hemorrhoids and other painful anal lesions. Leakage of mineral oil past the anal sphincter may lead to soiling of clothing. Docusate dioctyl sodium sulfosuccinate (Colace),
- Safety ProfileHighly purified food grades are of low toxicity. Questionable carcinogen. When heated to decomposition it emits acrid smoke and irritating fumes.
- Potential ExposureMineral oil is used in cosmetics, pharmaceutical bases; food, and fiber production; as carriers and bases; as a lubricating oil and as a solvent for inks in the printing industry. Oil mist would be encountered in quenching of hot metal parts and in metal machining operations.
- Veterinary Drugs and TreatmentsMineral oil is commonly used in horses to treat constipation and
It is also employed as a laxative in other species
as well, but used less frequently. Mineral oil has been administered
after ingesting lipid-soluble toxins (e.g., kerosene, metaldehyde) to
retard the absorption of these toxins through its laxative and solubility
Petrolatum containing products (e.g., Felaxin?, Laxatone?, Kat- A-Lax?, etc.) may be used in dogs and cats as a laxative or to prevent/ reduce “hair-balls” in cats.
- IncompatibilitiesIncompatible with oxidizers (chlorates, nitrates, peroxides, permanganates, perchlorates, chlorine, bromine, fluorine, etc.); contact may cause fires or explosions. Keep away from alkaline materials, strong acids (especially nitric acid), strong bases.
- Waste DisposalDissolve or mix the material with a combustible solvent and burn in a chemical incinerator equipped with an afterburner and scrubber. All federal, state, and local environmental regulations must be observed.
Mineral oil Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Raw materialsSulfuric acid Sodium chlorideParaffin waxSulfonated castor oilLubricating oilmontmorillonite K 10RAPESEED OIL
- Preparation ProductsMethanesulfonyl chlorideGraphiteFumaric acidPyrroleNorfloxacin4-HydroxycoumarinGemfibrozilXANTHURENIC ACIDBentoniteSilk softener LCALCIUM HYDRIDEHeat stabilizer for PVCSpining lubricant agentChlorinated paraffinoil agent for synthetic fiberSEMOTIADILCandesartandacron oiling agent JD5B-2softener TC7-CHLORO-4-HYDROXY-3-QUINOLINECARBOXYLIC ACIDdefoaming agent OTDsoftener 101Synthetic greasing agent2-Amino-4-ethylpyridineDAOREYOU7-Chloroquinolin-4-olCitaloprampolyacrylamide emulsifier7-CHLORO-4-HYDROXY-QUINOLINE-3-CARBOXYLIC ACID METHYL ESTERdefoamin gagent [for coating] FBX-01, FBX-023-CYCLOHEXYL-1-PROPYNEtextile oil agentdefoaming agent TS-103lubricating oil for food machinedefoaming agent CW-0601Chlorinated paraffin
- Cutting oil Glycerol Mineral oil, petroleum distillates catalytic dewaxed light naphthenic (severe solvent-refiningand/or hydrotreatment) Lithium WASTE MINERAL OIL - PCBS (LOW LEVEL)(CRM STANDARD) BASIC BARIUM DINONYLNAPHTHALENE SULFONATE IN MINERAL OIL SULFUR IN LIGHT MINERAL OIL (20 CST) WASTE MINERAL OIL - PCBS (HIGH LEVEL)(CRM STANDARD) Potassium deuteride 20-25% in mineral oil, isotopic purity 98+% Iron(III) 2-ethylhexanoate 2,2-BIS(TERT-BUTYLPEROXY)BUTANE, 50 WT. % SOLUTION IN MINERAL OIL POTASSIUM IN MINERAL OIL Aluminium powder epoxy asphalt anti-mineral oil primer MINERAL OIL, HEAVY NAPHTHENIC, NEUTRALIZED DISTILLATES SODIUM ACETYLIDE, 18 WT. % SLURRY IN XYL ENE/LIGHT MINERAL OIL, 95%,Sodium acetylide, 95%, 17.3% wt min in xylene/mineral oil Zirconium 2-Chlorophenothiazine, contains 3% mineral oil, 97% Heavy liquid paraffin
- Company Name:Shanghai Aladdin Bio-Chem Technology Co.,LTD Gold
- Tel:400-620-6333 021-20337333-801
- Company Name:Shaanxi Jiandu Pharmaceutical Chemical Co. Ltd. Gold
- Tel:17691182729 029-87576359-
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Company Name:BeiJing Hwrk Chemicals Limted
- Tel:18516978288 0757-86329057-