ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Flavors and fragrances > Synthetic fragrances > Ketones spices > Acyclic aliphatic Ketones > 2-Nonanone
2-Nonanone Chemical Properties
- Melting point:−21 °C(lit.)
- Boiling point:192 °C743 mm Hg(lit.)
- Density 0.82 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- vapor density 4.9
- refractive index n
- FEMA 2785 | 2-NONANONE
- Flash point:151 °F
- storage temp. Store below +30°C.
- solubility 0.37g/l
- form Liquid
- color Clear slightly yellow
- Water Solubility ca 0.5 g/L
- JECFA Number292
- BRN 1743645
- CAS DataBase Reference821-55-6(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry Reference2-Nonanone(821-55-6)
- EPA Substance Registry System2-Nonanone (821-55-6)
2-Nonanone Usage And Synthesis
- Description2-Nonanone has a characteristic rue odor and a rose and teα-like flavor. May be prepared by dry distillation of barium caprylate and barium acetate at 0.5 - 2 mmHg; or by oxidation of methyl heptyl carbinol at room temperature using chromic acid; it can be isolated also from natural products by fractional distillation.
- Chemical Properties2-Nonanone has a characteristic rue odor. It has a rose and tea-like flavor.
- Chemical PropertiesClear slightly yellow liquid
- OccurrenceReported found in the essential oil of rue (Ruta angustifolia Pers., R. bracteosa, R. Montana L. and R. gravelolens); also identified in the oil of carnation, in coconut oil and in the distillate from leaves of a variety of Boronia ledifolia; reported found in mixture with methyl nonyl ketone in the essential oil of Ruta chalepensis. Also reported found in banana, lemon peel oil, guava, grapes, raisin, melon, raspberry, strawberry fruit and jam, asparagus, leek, onion, cooked potato, tomato, clove, ginger, wheat bread, many cheeses, butter, yogurt, milk, cream, caviar, fatty fish, meats, hop oil, beer, rum, malt whiskey, grape wines, cognac, cocoa, coffee, tea, roasted filberts and peanuts, pecans, potato chips, soybean, coconut products, olive, passion fruit, trassi, Brazil nut, rice, quince, jackfruit, buckwheat, sweet corn, corn oil, wort, dried bonito, krill, cherimoya, Bourbon vanilla, shrimp, clams, scallop, crayfish, maté and mastic gum leaf and fruit oil
- DefinitionChEBI: A methyl ketone that is nonane in which the methylene hydrogens at position 2 are replaced by an oxo group.
- PreparationBy dry distillation of barium caprylate and barium acetate at 0.5 to 2 mmHg; by oxidation of methylheptyl carbinol at room temperature using chromic acid; it can be isolated also from natural products by fractional distillation
- Aroma threshold valuesDetection: 5 to 200 ppb
- Taste threshold valuesTaste characteristics at 20 ppm: cheesy, green, fruity, dairy, dirty, and buttery
- Synthesis Reference(s)Journal of the American Chemical Society, 90, p. 5936, 1968 DOI: 10.1021/ja01023a070
Tetrahedron Letters, 29, p. 2885, 1988 DOI: 10.1016/0040-4039(88)85238-9
The Journal of Organic Chemistry, 58, p. 5003, 1993 DOI: 10.1021/jo00070a044
- General DescriptionColorless liquid.
- Air & Water ReactionsHighly flammable. Water insoluble.
- Reactivity ProfileKetones, such as 2-Nonanone, are reactive with many acids and bases liberating heat and flammable gases (e.g., H2). The amount of heat may be sufficient to start a fire in the unreacted portion of the ketone. Ketones react with reducing agents such as hydrides, alkali metals, and nitrides to produce flammable gas (H2) and heat. Ketones are incompatible with isocyanates, aldehydes, cyanides, peroxides, and anhydrides. They react violently with aldehydes, HNO3, HNO3 + H2O2, and HClO4.
- Health HazardMay be harmful by inhalation, ingestion, or skin absorption. May cause eye and skin irritation.
- Safety ProfileModerately toxic by ingestion.Combustible when exposed to heat or flame; can reactwith oxidizing materials. To fight fire, use foam, CO2, drychemical. When heated to decomposition it emits acridsmoke and irritating fumes.
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Company Name:Beijing Donghualituo Techonlogy Development Co.,Ltd.
- Company Name:INTATRADE GmbH
- Tel:+49 3493/605464
- Company Name:3B Pharmachem (Wuhan) International Co.,Ltd.
- Tel:18930552037 821-50328103-801