Basic information Chemical Properties Uses Chemical Properties Uses Definition General Description Air & Water Reactions Reactivity Profile Health Hazard Fire Hazard Contact allergens Purification Methods Safety Related Supplier
- Product Name:1-Methyl-2-pyrrolidinone
- Synonyms: M-PYROL(R) N-METHYLPYROLIDONE N-METHYLPYRROLID-2-ONE N-METHYLPYRROLIDINONE N-METHYLPYRROLIDNONE N-METHYLPYRROLIDONE NMP-T NMP-EL
- Product Categories: Solvent Bottles Solvents Sure/Seal? Bottles Amines Heterocycles Miscellaneous Reagents Anhydrous Solvents Solvent by Application Alternative Energy Amber Glass Bottles Analytical Reagents Analytical/Chromatography CHROMASOLV Plus Chromatography Reagents & Electrolytes HPLC & HPLC Plus Grade Solvents (CHROMASOLV) HPLC/UHPLC Solvents (CHROMASOLV) Materials Science NOWPak Products Organic Solvents Semi-Bulk Solvents Solvent Bottles Solvent Packaging Options UHPLC Solvents (CHROMASOLV) NMR Spectrophotometric Grade Spectrophotometric Solvents Spectroscopy Solvents (IR UV/Vis) GC Headspace Solvents GC Solvents Solvents for GC applications ACS and Reagent Grade Solvents ACS Grade ACS Grade Solvents Carbon Steel Cans with NPT Threads Heavy Metals Solvents for LC-ICP-MS Toxins (other than pesticide/drug residues) Applications Beverage Analysis Building Blocks C4 to C8 Chemical Synthesis Food & GC-MS Solvents Heterocyclic Building Blocks ICP-OES/-MS Pyrrolidines Reagents for Inorganic Trace Analysis Solvents for Metal Speciation Analysis Solvents for Speciation Analysis (LC-ICP-MS) Spectroscopy Trace Analysis Reagents & Anhydrous Products Returnable Containers Sure/Seal Bottles Biotech Biotech Solvents Chemical raw materials Pyrrolidones NMP
- Mol File:872-50-4.mol
1-Methyl-2-pyrrolidinone Chemical Properties
- Melting point:−24 °C(lit.)
- Boiling point:202 °C(lit.)
- Density 1.028 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- vapor density 3.4 (vs air)
- vapor pressure 0.29 mm Hg ( 20 °C)
- refractive index n
- Flash point:187 °F
- storage temp. 2-8°C
- solubility ethanol: miscible0.1ML/mL, clear, colorless (10%, v/v)
- form Liquid
- color ≤20(APHA)
- PH8.5-10.0 (100g/l, H2O, 20℃)
- explosive limit1.3-9.5%(V)
- Water Solubility >=10 g/100 mL at 20 ºC
- Sensitive Hygroscopic
- Merck 14,6117
- BRN 106420
- Stability:Stable, but decomposes upon exposure to light. Combustible. Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents, strong acids, reducing agents, bases.
- CAS DataBase Reference872-50-4(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry Reference2-Pyrrolidinone, 1-methyl-(872-50-4)
- EPA Substance Registry System2-Pyrrolidinone, 1-methyl-(872-50-4)
1-Methyl-2-pyrrolidinone Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical Properties1-Methyl-2-pyrrolidinone (NMP) has a molecular formula of C5H9NO, and it is a colorless to light yellow transparent liquid with a slight ammonia odor. Its boiling point is 204℃, flash point is 91℃, chroma HaZen≤25, refractive index N20D 1.468-1.471, density is 1.032-1.035. It is miscible in water at any ratio, it is soluble in ethanol, acetone, esters, halogenated hydrocarbons, aromatic hydrocarbons and other organic solvents, and it can completely mix with practically all solvents. It is strongly hygroscopic, chemically stable, not corrosive towards carbon steel and aluminum, and slightly corrosive to copper. It has low adhesiveness, strong chemical and thermal stability, high polarity, and low volatility. This product is slightly toxic, and its permitted concentration limit in air is 100PPM.
- 1-Methyl-2-pyrrolidinone (NMP) is a polar aprotic solvent that has the advantages of low toxicity, high boiling point, outstanding solvency, strong selectivity and good stability. It is widely used in purification of aromatic hydrocarbon extraction, acetylene, olefins, and diolefins.
- It is used in industrial cleaning, and it serves as a solvent for production of pesticides, engineering plastics, coatings, synthetic fibers, and integrated circuits.
- It can also be used as an industrial cleanser, dispersant, dye, lubricant and antifreeze.
- 1-Methyl-2-pyrrolidinone is an excellent solvent, widely used in aromatics extraction, lubricating oil refining, acetylene enrichment, butadiene separation and synthesis gas desulfurization.
- It is used in gas desulfurization, lubricating oil refining, lubricating oil antifreeze, olefin extraction, and as a solvent for insoluble engineering plastics polymerization.
- It can be used in herbicide, to clean insulation materials, semiconductor industry precision instruments and circuit boards, to recycle PVC exhaust, as a detergent, dye supplement and dispersing agent.
- It is used in mediums for polymerization reactions such as engineering plastics and aramid fiber.
- 1-Methyl-2-pyrrolidinone is used as a polyvinylidene fluoride solvent and electrode auxiliary material for lithium ion batteries.
- high purity grade for ICP-MS detection.
- For peptide synthesis.
- Chemical Propertiescolourless or light yellow liquid with an amine odour
- UsesIt is a versatile industrial solvent. NMP is currently approved for use only in veterinary pharmaceuticals. The determination of the disposition and metabolism of NMP in the rat will contribute toward understanding the toxicology of this exogenous chemical which man may likely be exposed to in increasing amounts.
- DefinitionChEBI: A member of the class of pyrrolidine-2-ones that is pyrrolidin-2-one in which the hydrogen attached to the nitrogen is replaced by a methyl group.
- General DescriptionA clear colorless liquid with a "fishlike" odor. Denser than water. Flash point 199°F. Contact may irritate skin, eyes and mucous membranes. May be toxic by ingestion.
- Air & Water ReactionsSoluble in water.
- Reactivity ProfileThis amine is a very mild chemical base. 1-Methyl-2-pyrrolidinone does tend to neutralize acids to form salts plus water. The amount of heat that is evolved per mole of amine in a neutralization is largely independent of the strength of the amine as a base. Amines may be incompatible with isocyanates, halogenated organics, peroxides, phenols (acidic), epoxides, anhydrides, and acid halides. Flammable gaseous hydrogen is generated by amines in combination with strong reducing agents, such as hydrides.
- Health HazardInhalation of hot vapors can irritate nose and throat. Ingestion causes irritation of mouth and stomach. Contact with eyes causes irritation. Repeated and prolonged skin contact produces a mild, transient irritation.
- Fire HazardSpecial Hazards of Combustion Products: Toxic oxides of nitrogen may be formed in fire.
- Contact allergens1-Methylpyrrolidone is an aprotic solvent with a wide range of applications: petrochemical processing, surface coating, dyes and pigments, industrial and domestic cleaning compounds, and agricultural and pharmaceutical formulations. It is mainly an irritant, but it can cause severe contact dermatitis due to prolonged contact.
- Purification MethodsDry the pyrrolidone by removing water as the *benzene azeotrope. Fractionally distil at 10 torr through a 100-cm column packed with glass helices. [Adelman J Org Chem 29 1837 1964, McElvain & Vozza J Am Chem Soc 71 896 1949.] The hydrochloride has m 86-88o (from EtOH or Me2CO/EtOH) [Reppe et al. Justus Liebigs Ann Chem 596 1 1955]. [Beilstein 21 II 213, 21 III/IV 3145, 21/6 V 321.]
1-Methyl-2-pyrrolidinone Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Raw materialsAcetoneMETHYLAMINEgamma-ButyrolactoneButyramide
- Preparation Productsethyl 2-(4-chloroquinazolin-7-yloxy)acetateTrimethylsilyl cyanide2-(TRIFLUOROMETHYL)-4-ISOCYANATOPYRIDINE6-(TRIFLUOROMETHYL)PYRIDINE-3-CARBOXALDEHYDE1-[6-(Trifluoromethyl)pyridin-2-yl]piperazine4-(PYRROLIDIN-1-YLMETHYL)BENZENEBORONIC ACID, PINACOL ESTER 97%1-[4-(4,4,5,5-TETRAMETHYL-1,3,2-DIOXABOROLAN-2-YL)BENZYL]PYRROLIDINE4-Aminobutyric acid1-BENZOFURAN-5-CARBONITRILE3-Amino-6-chloropyridine-2-carboxylic acid2-Chloro-6-trifluoromethylnicotinic acid4-(Trifluoromethyl)nicotinic acid5-(Trifluoromethyl)pyridine-2-carboxylic acid3,5-DIMETHOXYPHENYLACETIC ACID4-DIMETHYLAMINOBUTYRIC ACID HYDROCHLORIDE2-Trifluoromethyl-6-pyridinecarboxylic acid1-(3-AMINOPROPYL)-2-PYRROLIDINONE2-(DIPHENYLPHOSPHINO)ETHYLTRIETHOXYSILANE3-Amino-2-pyridinecarbonitrile3-AMINO-2-FLUORO-4-PICOLINE2-Furonitrile2-Trifluoromethyl-5-bromopyridineC-(1H-INDOL-5-YL)-METHYLAMINETHIOPHENE-2-THIOCARBOXAMIDEVat Orange 95-Cyanoindole6-chloro-1H-indazol-3-amine2-(TRIFLUOROMETHYL)-PYRIDINE-4-CARBOXALDEHYDE
- 2-Pyrrolidinone Tribenuron methyl Paraquat dichloride METHYL-2-PYRROLIDONE N-Vinyl-2-pyrrolidone Methanol Basic Violet 1 N-Methyl-2-pyrrolidone 1-Methyl-2-pyrrolidinone Methyl acetate 2-[[[[(4-Methoxy-6-methyl-1,3,5-triazin-2-yl)amino]carbonyl]amino]sulfonyl]benzoic acid methyl ester Methyl salicylate 2,5-Dimethylpyrrolidine Acetonitrile Methylparaben Polyvinylpyrrolidone cross-linked Kresoxim-methyl Methyl
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD. Gold
- Tel:400-666-7788 +86-10-82848833
- Products Intro:Product Name:1-Methyl-2-pyrrolidinone, 99.99%, for headspace gas chromatography
- Company Name:Tianjin Zhongxin Chemtech Co., Ltd. Gold
- Products Intro:Purity:99.5%min Package:200kg/Drum
- Company Name:Chengdu RunZeBenTu Chemical Co., Ltd Gold
- Tel:13096311329 028-88469284 qq:616445927
- Products Intro:Product Name:1-Methyl-2-pyrrolidinone
- Company Name:Hefei TNJ Chemical Industry Co.,Ltd. Gold
- Tel:+86 (551) 65418695 65418696
- Products Intro:Product Name:N-Methyl pyrrolidone,N-methyl-2-pyrrolidone,NMP,N-Methylpyrrolidone,N Methyl pyrrolidone
Purity:99.5%min & 99.9%min. Package:200kg/iron drum Remarks:Phamra grade, electronic grade and technical grade
- Company Name:Ring Specialty Chemicals Inc. Gold
- Tel:+1 416 493 6870
- Products Intro:Product Name:1-Methyl-2-Pyrrolidinone, NMP