ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Chemical Reagents > Organic reagents > Bicyclic compound > Trimethyl borate
Trimethyl borate Chemical Properties
- Melting point:-34 °C (lit.)
- Boiling point:68-69 °C (lit.)
- Density 0.932 g/mL at 20 °C (lit.)
- vapor density 3.59 (vs air)
- refractive index n
- Flash point:8 °F
- storage temp. Flammables area
- solubility Miscible with tetrahydrofuran, ether, isoporpylamine, hexane and methanol.
- form Liquid
- Specific Gravity0.915
- color Colorless
- Specific Gravity0.883
- Water Solubility reacts
- Sensitive Moisture Sensitive
- Hydrolytic Sensitivity7: reacts slowly with moisture/water
- Merck 14,9712
- BRN 1697939
- Stability:Stable. Incompatible with oxidizing agents. Decomposes slowly in the presence of moisture, rapidly in water. Flammable.
- CAS DataBase Reference121-43-7(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferenceBoric acid, trimethyl ester(121-43-7)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemBoric acid (H3BO3), trimethyl ester (121-43-7)
- Hazard Codes Xn,F,T
- Risk Statements 11-21-23/25-36/37/38-10-36-61-60
- Safety Statements 16-27-36/37/39-45-25-23-2-26-53
- RIDADR UN 2416 3/PG 2
- WGK Germany 3
- RTECS ED5600000
- F 21
- TSCA Yes
- HazardClass 3
- PackingGroup II
- HS Code 29209085
- Hazardous Substances Data121-43-7(Hazardous Substances Data)
- ToxicityLD50 orally in rats: 6.14 ml/kg (Smyth)
Trimethyl borate Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical PropertiesWater-white liquid. Miscible with ether, methanol, hexane, tetrahydrofuran; decomposes in presence of water.
- UsesAs solvent for waxes, resins, oils; catalyst in the manufacture of ketones; analysis of paint and varnish ingredients; as neutron detector gas in the presence of a scintillation counter; as a promoter of diborane reactions.
- DefinitionChEBI: A member of the class of borate esters obtained by the formal condensation of three equivalents of methanol with boric acid.
- General DescriptionA water-white liquid. Denser than water. Flash point 80°F. Vapors heavier than air. Used as a solvent and fungicide for fruit.
- Air & Water ReactionsHighly flammable. Rapidly decomposes in water.
- Reactivity ProfileBorates, such as Trimethyl borate, behave similarly to esters in that they react with acids to liberate heat along with alcohols and acids. Strong oxidizing acids may cause a vigorous reaction that is sufficiently exothermic to ignite the reaction products. Heat is also generated by the interaction of esters with caustic solutions. Flammable hydrogen is generated by mixing esters/borates with alkali metals and hydrides.
- Health HazardMay cause toxic effects if inhaled or absorbed through skin. Inhalation or contact with material may irritate or burn skin and eyes. Fire will produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases. Vapors may cause dizziness or suffocation. Runoff from fire control or dilution water may cause pollution.
- Fire HazardHIGHLY FLAMMABLE: Will be easily ignited by heat, sparks or flames. Vapors may form explosive mixtures with air. Vapors may travel to source of ignition and flash back. Most vapors are heavier than air. They will spread along ground and collect in low or confined areas (sewers, basements, tanks). Vapor explosion hazard indoors, outdoors or in sewers. Runoff to sewer may create fire or explosion hazard. Containers may explode when heated. Many liquids are lighter than water.
- Safety ProfileModerately toxic by ingestion, skin contact, and intraperitoneal routes. An eye irritant. A very dangerous fire hazard when exposed to heat, flame, or oxidizers. Moderately explosive when exposed to flame. Will react with water or steam to produce toxic and flammable vapors. To fight fire, use dry chemical, CO2, spray, foam. When heated to decomposition it emits acrid smoke and irritating fumes. See also ESTERS and BORON COMPOUNDS.
- Purification MethodsCarefully fractionate the borate through a gauze-packed column. Re-distil and collect it in weighed glass vials and seal them. Keep it away from moisture. It undergoes alkyl exchange with alcohols and forms azeotropes, e.g. with MeOH the azeotrope consists of 70% (MeO)3B and 30% MeOH with b 52-54o/760mm, d 0.87. [Charnley et al. J Chem Soc 2288 1952, Gerrard & Lappert Chem Ind (London) 53 1952, Schlesinger et al. J Am Chem Soc 75 213 1953.] It has also been dried with Na and then distilled. [Beilstein 1 IV 1269.]
Trimethyl borate Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Preparation Products2-ISOPROPOXYPHENYLBORONIC ACID3,4,5-Trifluorophenol1-Methyl-1H-pyrazole-5-boronic acid pinacol ester2-(Methanesulfonylamino)phenylboronic acid1-METHYL-1H-INDOLE-5-BORONIC ACID 2,2-DIMETHYL PROPANE DIOL-1,3-CYCLIC ESTER8-Quinolineboronic acid2,3-Dimethylphenylboronic acid4-FLUORO-2-NITROPHENYLBORONIC ACID1-Methyl-4-(4,4,5,5-tetramethyl-1,3,2-dioxaborolan-2-yl)-1H-pyrazole4-FLUORO-3-(HYDROXYMETHYL)BENZENEBORONIC ACIDSodium tetraphenylboron3,5-Dimethylisoxazole-4-boronic acid5-METHOXYBENZOFURAN-2-BORONIC ACID4-Benzyloxybenzeneboronic acid2-Benzyloxyphenylboronic acidMethyl 4-boronobenzoate2,2'-BITHIOPHENE-5-BORONIC ACID3-Methoxymethylphenylboronic acid4-Isopropylbenzeneboronic acid(4-PHENYLAMINOCARBONYLPHENYL)BORONIC ACID1,4-Phenylenebisboronic acid2,6-Difluorophenol4-Cyanophenylboronic acid2-Naphthaleneboronic acid5-Indolylboronic acid4-(Methylthio)phenylboronic acidQuinoline-5-boronic acid4-PHENOXYPHENYLBORONIC ACID2-Methoxypyridine-3-boronic acidBiphenyl-3-boronic acid2-Benzothienylboronic acid2,5-Dichlorophenylboronic acid2-(N,N-DIETHYLAMINOCARBONYL)PHENYLBORONIC ACID3,4-METHYLENEDIOXYPHENYLBORONIC ACIDIsopropenylboronic acid pinacol ester4-tert-Butylphenylboronic acidBenzofuran-2-boronic acid2-Fluorophenylboronic acid2-FLUOROPHENYLBORONIC ACIDBenzylboronic acid
- Raw materialsTetramethyl orthosilicate
- Trimethoxymethane Methyl acetate Trimethyl phosphate Boric acid Thiophanate-methyl Boron BORON CITRATE Boron nitride TRIS(TRIMETHYLSILYL) PHOSPHATE Triisopropyl borate BUTYL OLEATE Tribenuron methyl Boric acid powder Methyl trifluoroacetate Sodium methanolate Trimethyl borate Methyl Trimethyl orthoacetate
- Company Name:Jiangsu hongzi new energy technology co. LTD Gold
- Company Name:Zhangjiagang Aixin Chemical Co.,Ltd. Gold
- Tel:13915703810 0512-58583037
- Company Name:Shanghai Song Yuan Chemical Technology Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:18521000990 010-1234567
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-