ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Inorganic chemistry > Inorganic salts > Borides, borates and borate > Boron nitride
Boron nitride Chemical Properties
- Melting point:2700℃
- Boiling point:sublimes sl below 3000℃ [MER06]
- Density 2.29
- storage temp. -20°C
- form Powder
- color White
- Specific Gravity3.48
- PH5-8 (100g/l, H2O, 20℃)(slurry)
- Water Solubility Soluble in water (slightly soluble) at 20°C, and water (soluble) at 95°C.
- Sensitive Hygroscopic
- Merck 14,1346
- Stability:Stable. Incompatible with oxidizing agents, water.
- CAS DataBase Reference10043-11-5(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferenceBoron nitride(10043-11-5)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemBoron nitride (BN) (10043-11-5)
Boron nitride Usage And Synthesis
- DescriptionBoron nitride is a material in which the extra electron of nitrogen (with respect to carbon) enables it to form structures that are isoelectronic with carbon allotropes.
- Chemical Propertieswhite powder(s), 1μm or less 99.5% pure; hexagonal, most common form: a=0.2504 nm, c=0.6661nm; fcc: a=0.3615nm; hardness: hexagonal like graphite,?cub approaches that of diamond; band gap ~7.5 eV at 300K; dielectric 7.1; used in furnace insulation and in crucibles for melting aluminum, boron, iron, and silicon, also as sputtering target for dielectrics, diffusion masks, passivation layers [KIR81] [HAW93] [MER06] [CER91]
- Physical propertiesWhite powder, hexagonal graphite-like form or cubic crystal; cubic form similar to diamond in its crystal structure, and reverts to graphite form when heated above 1,700°C; density 2.18 g/cm3; melts at 2,975°C (under nitrogen pressure); sublimes at 2,500°C at atmospheric pressure; insoluble in water and acid; attacked by hot alkalies and fused alkali carbonates; not wetted by most molten metals or glasses.
- UsesBoron nitride is a material in which the extra electron of nitrogen (with respect to carbon) enables it to form structures that are isoelectronic with carbon allotropes. Also used in manufacture of alloys; in semiconductors, nuclear reactors, lubricants.
- Usesboron nitride is a synthetically manufactured white, talc-like powder that can reflect light, giving a product a sparkle effect. It is Copyright 2014 Cengage Learning. All Rights Reserved. May not be copied, scanned, or duplicated, in whole or in part. Due to electronic rights, some third party content may be suppressed from the eBook and/or eChapter(s). Editorial Review has deemed that any suppressed content does not materially affect the overall learning experience. Cengage Learning reserves the right to remove additional content at any time if subsequent rights restrictions require it. primarily used in color cosmetics to provide subtle shimmer; however, it can also be found in skin care formulations for enhancing product smoothness and slip.
- Definitionboron nitride: A solid, BN, insolublein cold water and slowly decomposedby hot water; r.d. 2.25 (hexagonal);sublimes above 3000°C. Boronnitride is manufactured by heatingboron oxide to 800°C on an acid-solublecarrier, such as calcium phosphate,in the presence of nitrogen orammonia. It is isoelectronic with carbonand, like carbon, it has a veryhard cubic form (borazon) and asofter hexagonal form; unlikegraphite this is a nonconductor. It isused in the electrical industrieswhere its high thermal conductivityand high resistance are of especialvalue.
- PreparationBoron nitride is prepared by heating boric oxide with ammonia:
B2O3 + 2NH3 → 2BN + 3H2O
Alternatively, the compound can be prepared by heating boric oxide or boric acid with ammonium chloride or an alkali metal cyanide. Purified product can be obtained by high temperature reaction of boron halide with ammonia:
BCl3 + NH3 → BN + 3HCl
Boron nitride can also be made from the elements by heating boron and nitrogen at red heat.
- Production MethodsIn tonnage production, acetaldehyde may be manufactured by:
1. The direct oxidation of ethylene, requiring a catalytic solution of copper chloride plus small quantities of palladium chloride Cl2Pd.
2. The oxidation of ethyl alcohol C2H6O with sodium dichromate Cr2Na2O7, and
3. The dry distillation of calcium acetate C4H6CaO4 with calcium formate C2H2CaO4.
- Industrial usesBoron nitride (BN) has many potential commercial applications. It is a white, fluffy powder with a greasy feel. It is used for heat-resistant parts by molding and pressing the powder without a binder to a specific gravity of 2.1 to 2.25.
BN may be prepared in a variety of ways, for example, by the reaction of boron oxide with ammonia, alkali cyanides, and ammonium chloride, or of boron halides and ammonia. The usually high chemical and thermal stability, combined with the high electrical resistance of BN, suggests numerous uses for this compound in the field of high-temperature technology. BN can be hot-pressed into molds and worked into desired shapes.
BN powders can be used as mold-release agents, high-temperature lubricants, and additives in oils, rubbers, and epoxies to improve thermal conductance of dielectric compounds. Powders also are used in metal- and ceramicmatrix composites (MMC and CMC) to improve thermal shock and to modify wetting characteristics.
The platy habit of the particles and the fact that boron nitride is not wet by glass favors use of the powder as a mold wash, e.g., in the fabrication of high-tension insulators. It is also useful as thermal insulation in induction heating. A cubic form of boron nitride (Borazon) similar to diamond in hardness and structure has been synthesized by the high-temperature, high-pressure process for making synthetic diamonds. Any uses it may find as a substitute for diamonds will depend on its greatly superior oxidation resistance.
Boron nitride Preparation Products And Raw materials
- MONOCRYSTALLINE POWDER Silicon carbide Boron nitride nanopowder Boron nitride sputtering target BORON NITRIDE SPUTTERING TARGET, 50.8MM (2.0IN) DIA X 6.35MM (0.250IN) THICK, 99.99% (METALS BASIS) BORON NITRIDE, REFRACTORY BRUSHABLE PAINT, BN 5% B-TRIBROMOBORAZINE BORON NITRIDE SPUTTERING TARGET, 50.8MM (2.0IN) DIA X 3.18MM (0.125IN) THICK, 99.99% (METALS BASIS) BORON NITRIDE-TITANIUM DIBORIDE CERAMIC EVAPORATOR CRUCIBLE BORON NITRIDE, REFRACTORY BRUSHABLE PAINT, B BORON NITRIDE SPUTTERING TARGET, 25.4MM (1.0IN) DIA X 3.18MM (0.125IN) THICK, 99.99% (METALS BASIS) BORON NITRIDE SPUTTERING TARGET, 76.2MM (3.0IN) DIA X 3.18MM (0.125IN) THICK, 99.99% (METALS BASIS) BORON NITRIDE PASTE BORON NITRIDE SPUTTERING TARGET, 76.2MM (3.0IN) DIA X 6.35MM (0.250IN) THICK, 99.99% (METALS BASIS) Borane ammonia complex Boron nitride BORON CITRATE Boron
- Company Name:Nanjing XFNano Material Tech Co., Ltd Gold
- Tel:13260851877 025-68256996-
- Company Name:Forsman Scientific ( Beijing ) Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:18301106921 10-64646565
- Company Name:Shanghai Worldyang Chemical Co.,Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:Shenzhen Hongyuan Import and Export Trade Co., Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:Yingkou Tianyuan Chemical Research Institute Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:13528414664 0755-26406100-7171