ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Flavors and fragrances > Synthetic fragrances > Carboxylic acids and esters > Aliphatic dicarboxylic acid esters > Hexyl acetate
Hexyl acetate Chemical Properties
- Melting point:?80 °C (lit.)
- Boiling point:168-170 °C (lit.)
- Density 0.87 g/mL at 25 °C (lit.)
- vapor pressure 5 hPa (20 °C)
- FEMA 2565 | HEXYL ACETATE
- refractive index n
- Flash point:99 °F
- storage temp. 2-8°C
- solubility 0.4g/l
- form Liquid
- color Clear colorless to pale yellow
- Odor Threshold0.0018ppm
- Water Solubility immiscible
- JECFA Number128
- BRN 1747138
- CAS DataBase Reference142-92-7(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferenceHexyl ethanoate(142-92-7)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemAcetic acid, hexyl ester (142-92-7)
Hexyl acetate Usage And Synthesis
- DescriptionHexyl acetate has a pleasant fruity odor and bittersweet taste suggestive of pear. May be synthesized from n-hexyl alcohol and excess acetic anhydride at the boil or with an excess of acetic acid in the presence of concentrated sulfuric acid.
- Chemical PropertiesHexyl acetate has a pleasant fruity, apple, cherry, pear, floral odor and bittersweet taste suggestive of pear.
- Chemical PropertiesHexyl Acetate is a liquid with a sweet-fruity, pear-like odor. It is present in a number of fruits and alcoholic beverages and is used in fruit aroma compositions.
- Chemical Propertiesclear colorless to pale yellowish liquid
- OccurrenceReported found in fruital aromas (e.g., Fragaria vesca) and essential oils. Also reported found in apple, apricot, banana, sweet cherry, citrus peel oils and juices, blueberry, black currants, guava, grapes, melon, peach, pear, raspberry, blackberry, strawberry, peas, sauerkraut, rye bread, cheeses, roasted beef, beer, rum, cognac, whiskies, cider, sherry, grape wines, coffee, tea, soybean, olive, passion fruit, beans, starfruit, mango, cauliflower, pear and apple brandy, quince, origanum, lovage leaf, corn oil, mangosteen (Garcia mangostana), Bourbon vanilla, clary sage, nectarine, naranjilla fruit, Chinese quince and chamomile oil.
- UsesHexyl Acetate is a flavouring agent due to its fruity odor and it is naturally present in many fruits and alcoholic beverages.
- DefinitionChEBI: The acetate ester of hexan-1-ol.
- Production Methodsn-Hexyl acetate is prepared from n-hexyl alcohol and excess
acetic anhydride or with an excess of acetic acid and
concentrated sulfuric acid . Its is also prepared from
primary and sec-hexyl alcohols .
It is produced by Aldrich Chemical Corp., Milwaukee, WI, and Penta Manufacturing Co., Fairfield, NJ .
- PreparationFrom n-hexyl alcohol and excess acetic anhydride at the boil or with an excess of acetic acid in the presence of concentrated sulfuric acid
- Aroma threshold valuesDetection: 2 to 480 ppb
- Taste threshold valuesTaste characteristics at 15 ppm: fruity, green, fresh, sweet, banana peel, apple and pear.
- Synthesis Reference(s)Tetrahedron Letters, 18, p. 3263, 1977 DOI: 10.1016/S0040-4039(01)83213-5
- General DescriptionA colorless liquid with a mild sweet odor. Flash point 113°F. A moderate fire risk. Inhalation may cause adverse effects. Insoluble in water and very soluble in alcohols and ethers. When heated to high temperatures emits acrid smoke and fumes. Used as a solvent and as a propellant in aerosols.
- Air & Water ReactionsHighly flammable. Insoluble in water.
- Reactivity ProfileHexyl acetate is an ester. Esters react with acids to liberate heat along with alcohols and acids. Strong oxidizing acids may cause a vigorous reaction that is sufficiently exothermic to ignite the reaction products. Heat is also generated by the interaction of esters with caustic solutions. Flammable hydrogen is generated by mixing esters with alkali metals and hydrides.
- Health HazardMay be harmful by inhalation, ingestion, or skin absorption. May cause irritation.
- Fire HazardSpecial Hazards of Combustion Products: Vapor may travel considerable distance to a source of ignition and flash back. Container explosion may occur under fire conditions. Forms explosive mixtures in air.
Hexyl acetate Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Cortisone acetate Dodecyl gallate ISOPULEGYL ACETATE (-)-DIHYDROCARVYL ACETATE Butyl acetate Ethyl acetate ACETATE PHENYL ACETATE Tocopheryl acetate Glatiramer acetate POLY(VINYL ACETATE) L-BORNYL ACETATE Isobornyl acetate Ethylene glycol diacetate Vinyl acetate Methyl acetate Cyclohexyl acetate Hexyl salicylate
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Company Name:3B Pharmachem (Wuhan) International Co.,Ltd.
- Tel:18930552037 821-50328103-801
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar
- Company Name:TCI (Shanghai) Development Co., Ltd.
- Tel:021-67121386 / 800-988-0390