ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Flavors and fragrances > Synthetic fragrances > Carboxylic acids and esters > Aliphatic dicarboxylic acid esters > Isobornyl acetate
Isobornyl acetate Chemical Properties
- Melting point:29°C
- Boiling point:229-233 °C(lit.)
- Density 0.983 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- vapor pressure 0.13 hPa (20 °C)
- refractive index n
- FEMA 2160 | ISOBORNYL ACETATE
- Flash point:190 °F
- storage temp. Store below +30°C.
- solubility 0.16g/l
- Specific Gravity0.98
- Water Solubility Not miscible or difficult to mix with water.
- JECFA Number1388
- BRN 3197572
- Stability:Stable. Flammable. Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents.
- CAS DataBase Reference125-12-2(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferenceIsobornyl acetate(125-12-2)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemIsobornyl acetate (125-12-2)
Isobornyl acetate Usage And Synthesis
- DescriptionIsobornyl acetate is a kind of acetate ester. It can be manufactured through the esterification between acetate and camphene. It is a kind of flavoring agent with fragrance. It can be used as the intermediate needed for producing medical synthetic camphor.
- ReferencesNing, Chunli, et al. "Study on the catalyst for the synthesis of isobornyl acetate." Industrial Catalysis (2012). Opdyke, D. L. J. "Monographs on fragrance raw materials: Isobornyl acetate." Food & Cosmetics Toxicology 13.5(1975): 552-552. Chimal-Valencia, O, et al. "Ion exchange resins as catalyst for the isomerization of alpha-pinene to camphene. " Bioresource Technology 93.2(2004): 119-123.
- DescriptionIsobornyl acetate has a pleasant, camphor-like odor reminiscent of some varieties of pine needles and hemlock, and a fresh, burning taste. May be prepared by treatment of camphene with acetic acid, usually in the presence of a catalyst; also by acetylation of isobomeol; depending on the starting material (d-camphene or ι-camphene), the resulting acetate may exhibit a slight optical activity; the commercial product is considered to be optically inactive.
- Chemical PropertiesIsobornyl acetate has a pleasant, camphor-like odor reminiscent of some varieties of pine needles and hemlock and a fresh, burning taste
- Chemical PropertiesColorless liquid; pine-needle odor.Soluble in most fixed oils and in mineral oil; insoluble in glycerol and water. Combustible.
- Chemical PropertiesIsobornyl Acetate has
been identified in a number of essential oils. It is a colorless liquid with a pleasant, pine-needle odor. Isobornyl acetate is prepared from camphene and
acetic acid in the presence of acidic catalysts (e.g., sulfuric acid) or on a
styrene–divinylbenzene acid ion-exchanger.
Isobornyl acetate is used in large amounts for perfuming soaps, bath products, and air fresheners. However, the major use of isobornyl acetate is as an intermediate in the production of camphor.
- OccurrenceReported found in thymus, Parmesan cheese, dill herb, Ocimum basilicum, rosemary and custard apple
- UsesCompounding pine-needle odors, toilet waters, bath preparations, antiseptics, theater sprays, soaps, making synthetic camphor, flavoring agent.
- PreparationBy treatment of camphene with acetic acid, usually in the presence of a catalyst; also by acetylation of isoborneol; depending on the starting material (d-camphene or l-camphene), the resulting acetate may exhibit slight optical activity; the commercial product is considered to be optically inactive
- Aroma threshold valuesAroma characteristics at 1.0%: camphoraceous woody,sweet, citrus and herbal with “Irish Spring” soapy nuances
- Taste threshold valuesTaste characteristics at 2 to 10 ppm: camphoraceous, woody, terpy and piney with a spicy, herbal and slightly citrus nuance
Isobornyl acetate Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Benzyl acetate POLY(VINYL ACETATE) Ethyl acrylate 1-Methylcyclopentanol Tocopheryl acetate Ethyl acetate ACETATE Sodium acetate Butyl acetate Ethyl phenylacetate L-BORNYL ACETATE Ethyl formate Ethyl acetoacetate INDOPHENOL ACETATE Isobornyl acetate Vinyl acetate Potassium Acetate Ethyl chloroformate
- Company Name:上海炎泽化工有限公司 Shanghai Yanze Chemical Co., Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Company Name:3B Pharmachem (Wuhan) International Co.,Ltd.
- Tel:18930552037 821-50328103-801
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar