ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Chemical Reagents > Organic reagents > fatty acid > Dehydroacetic acid
Dehydroacetic acid Chemical Properties
- Melting point:111-113 °C (lit.)
- Boiling point:270 °C (lit.)
- Density 1.1816 (rough estimate)
- vapor pressure 0.001 hPa (20 °C)
- refractive index 1.4611 (estimate)
- Flash point:157°C
- storage temp. Store below +30°C.
- solubility 2g/l
- form Fine Crystalline Powder
- color Light yellow or cream
- PH4 (2g/l, H2O, 20℃)
- Merck 14,2865
- BRN 6129
- Stability:Stable. Incompatible with oxidizing agents, bases, reducing agents.
- CAS DataBase Reference520-45-6(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferenceDehydroacetic Acid(520-45-6)
- EPA Substance Registry System3-Acetyl-6-methyl-2H-pyran-2,4(3H)-dione (520-45-6)
Dehydroacetic acid Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical PropertiesDehydroacetic acid is a white to cream-coloured powder that is only very slightly soluble in water (less than 0.1 %). However, the sodium salt hydrate (CSH7Na04.H20) has a solubility of 33% in water at 25°C, and 48% in propylene glycol. The acid is 22% soluble in acetone, 18% in benzene, and I g dissolves in about 35 ml of ethanol.It is used to reduce pickle bloating, and as a pesticide and preservative for squash and strawberries. Its permissible use level is 65ppm.
Dehydroacetic acid is one of the food additives found in red wine and was determined by ultra-fast liquid chromatography-tandem quadrupole mass spectrometry (UFLC-MS/MS).
To assay dehydroacetic acid, add 500 mg to a 250-ml Erlenmeyer flask and dissolve in 75 ml of neutral alcohol. Following the addition of phenolphthalein T.S., titrate with 0.1 N NaOH to a pink end-point that persists for at least 30 s. Each ml of 0.1 N NaOH = 16.82 mg of dehydroacetic acid (National Academy of Sciences, 1963).
Dehydroacetic acid is a synthetic chemical (no plant-based preservatives that meet our efficacy standards currently exist) that is considered to be a low hazard for human health and for the environment.
- UsesDehydroacetic Acid (DHA) is a preservative that is a crystalline powder with a solubility of less than 0.1 g in 100 g of water at 25°C. It can undergo a variety of chemical reactions which give it utility in many applications. It is used at 0.01–0.5% for microbiological growth inhibition in various foods. It is used for cut or peeled squash, with no more than 65 ppm remaining in or on the prepared squash.
- UsesDehydroacetic acid (DHS) is used as stabilizer for cosmetic and pharmaceutical products due to its fungicide and bactericide activity, as additive for PVC-stabilizers and for the syntheses of veterinary medicines. Product Data Sheet
- UsesGeogard(R) 111a preservative is based on dehydroacetic acid (DHA) and therefore are recognized by major cosmetic, toiletry and fragrance regulatory authorities worldwide for use in cosmetic and personal care products.
- UsesGeogard(R) 221 preservative is based on dehydroacetic acid (DHA) and benzyl alcohol, and therefore is recognized by major cosmetic, toiletry and fragrance regulatory authorities worldwide for use in cosmetic and personal care products.
- UsesGeogard(R) 361 preservative is based on six synergistic components, all with wide global regulatory acceptance: dehydroacetic acid (DHA); salicylic acid; benzoic acid; phenoxyethanol; benzyl alcohol; and benzethonium chloride.
- Usesantifungal, antibacterial
- Usesdehydroacetic acid is a preservative with low sensitizing potential. This is a weak acid used as a fungi-and bacteria-destroying agent in cosmetics. The presence of organic matter decreases its effective ness. It is not irritating or allergy causing when applied on the skin.
- Synthesis Reference(s)The Journal of Organic Chemistry, 49, p. 5105, 1984 DOI: 10.1021/jo00200a018
- Safety ProfilePoison by ingestion. Moderately toxic by intraperitoneal route. Questionable carcinogen with experimental tumorigenic data. Combustible when exposed to heat or flame. When heated to decomposition it emits acrid smoke and irritating fumes.
Dehydroacetic acid Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Phenyl salicylate Sodium diacetate Benzoic acid Ethylene carbonate Trichloroacetic acid Methylparaben 4-Hydroxy-6-methyl-2-pyrone 4-HEXENOIC ACID TETRAHYDRO-2-(2-PROPYNYLOXY)-2H-PYRAN Ethyl 2-(Chlorosulfonyl)acetate tributyl acetocitrate Hyaluronic acid Acetyl-resveratrol Methyl Ascoric Acid Parathion-methyl Tetrahydro-4H-pyran-4-one CHLOROPHOSPHONAZO III
- Company Name:Wuhan yuqing jiaheng pharmaceutical co. LTD Gold
- Tel:13545340383 027-83855389-
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Company Name:3B Pharmachem (Wuhan) International Co.,Ltd.
- Tel:18930552037 821-50328103-801
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar