ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Organic Chemistry > Carboxylic acids and derivatives > Acyclic carboxylic acid > Nonanoic acid
Nonanoic acid Chemical Properties
- Melting point:9 °C (lit.)
- Boiling point:268-269 °C (lit.)
- Density 0.906 g/mL at 25 °C (lit.)
- vapor density 5.5 (vs air)
- vapor pressure <0.1 mm Hg ( 20 °C)
- refractive index n
- FEMA 2784 | NONANOIC ACID
- Flash point:212 °F
- storage temp. 2-8°C
- solubility 0.3g/l
- form Liquid
- pka4.96(at 25℃)
- color Clear colorless
- PH4.4 (0.1g/l, H2O, 25℃)
- explosive limit0.8-9%(V)
- Water Solubility NEGLIGIBLE
- Merck 14,7070
- JECFA Number102
- BRN 1752351
- CAS DataBase Reference112-05-0(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferenceNonanoic acid(112-05-0)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemNonanoic acid (112-05-0)
- Hazard Codes C
- Risk Statements 34
- Safety Statements 26-28-36/37/39-45-28A
- RIDADR UN 3265 8/PG 3
- WGK Germany 1
- RTECS RA6650000
- Autoignition Temperature405 °C
- TSCA Yes
- HazardClass 8
- PackingGroup III
- HS Code 29159080
- Hazardous Substances Data112-05-0(Hazardous Substances Data)
- ToxicityLD50 i.v. in mice: 224±4.6 mg/kg (Or, Wretlind)
Nonanoic acid Usage And Synthesis
- DescriptionNonanoic acid (also known as pelargonic acid; chemical formula: CH3 (CH2)7COOH) is a kind of organic carboxylic acid compound. It is naturally existed in the oil of pelargonium in the form of esters. It is commonly used in conjunction with glyphosate which is a kind of non-selective herbicide in order to obtain a quick burn-down effect in the control of weeds in turfgrass. It is also a potent antifungal agent which can inhibit spore germination and mycelial growth of pathogenic fungi. Its synthetic esters, such as methyl nonanoate can be used as flavorings. Moreover, it can also be used in the preparation of plasticizers and lacquers. It can also be potentially used for the treatment of seizures.
- DescriptionNonanoic acid , also called pelargonic acid, is an organic compound composed of a nine - carbon chain terminating in a carboxylic acid with structural formula CH3(CH2)7COOH. Nonanoic acid forms esters—nonanoates. It is a clear, oily liquid with an unpleasant, rancid odor. It is nearly insoluble in water, but very soluble in chloroform, ether, and hexane.
Its refractive index is 1.4322. Its critical point is at 712 K ( 439 °C ) and 2.35 MPa.
- Chemical Propertiesclear colorless liquid
- Chemical PropertiesColorless or yellowish, combustible, oily liquid. Faint odor.
- Chemical PropertiesNonanoic acid has a fatty, characteristic odor and a corresponding unpleasant taste. May be prepared by oxidation of methylnonyl ketone; by oxidation of oleic acid; or from heptyl iodide via malonic ester synthesis.
- Chemical PropertiesNonanoic acid has a fatty, characteristic odor and a corresponding unpleasant taste. This compound is also reported as having a cheese, waxy flavor
- OriginatorPellar,Crookes Barnes, US ,1960
- OccurrenceNonanoic acid is a fatty acid which occurs naturally as esters in the oil of pelargonium. Synthetic esters, such as methyl nonanoate, are used as flavorings.
Nonanoic acid is also used in the preparation of plasticizers and lacquers.
The derivative 4-nonanoylmorpholine is an ingredient in some pepper sprays.
The ammonium salt of nonanoic acid, ammonium nonanoate, is used as an herbicide.
- UsesThe primary uses of this acid are in organic synthesis and in the manufacture of lacquers, plastics, pharmaceuticals, synthetic odors and flavorings, gasoline additives, flotation agents, lubricants, and vinyl plasticizers. Nonanoic acid has found some use in pharmaceutical preparations and as a topical bactericide and fungicide. It is also used in herbicides.
- UsesIntermediates of Liquid Crystals
- UsesIn the production of hydrotropic salts (hydrotropic salts form aqueous solutions which dissolve sparingly soluble substances to a greater extent than water); in the manufacture of lacquers, plastics.
- DefinitionChEBI: A C9 straight-chain saturated fatty acid which occurs naturally as esters of the oil of pelargonium. Has antifungal properties, and is also used as a herbicide as well as in the preparation of plasticisers and lacquers.
- Manufacturing ProcessA body of liquid, 18 inches high, comprising a 35% (by weight) solution of technical (95%) oleic acid in n-propanol, is maintained at a temperature of 86°C in a reactor. The solution also contains dissolved therein 0.042% by weight of cobalt, in the form of cobalt naphthenate. From the bottom of the reactor very fine bubbles of air are passed into and through the solution at the rate of about 0.3 cubic feet per minute, measured at standard conditions, per square foot for 72 hours. The gases leaving the reactor are first passed through an ice water reflux condenser and then vented to the atmosphere. At the end of the 72 hour period the reaction mixture is separated into its components. It is found that 60% of the oleic acid has been consumed in the reaction. For each pound of oleic acid consumed there are obtained 0.30 pound of azelaic acid (representing an efficiency of 46%, calculated on the basis that the technical oleic acid is 100% oleic acid), 0.13 pound of pelargonic acid (representing an efficiency of 23%) and 0.21 pound of 9,10dihydroxystearic acid (representing an efficiency of 19%).
- Therapeutic FunctionFungicide
- Aroma threshold valuesDetection: 3 to 9 ppm
- Taste threshold valuesTaste characteristics at 10 ppm: fatty, waxy, and cheesy with a mild, sweet, creamy background
- Synthesis Reference(s)Journal of the American Chemical Society, 93, p. 195, 1971 DOI: 10.1021/ja00730a033
Organic Syntheses, Coll. Vol. 2, p. 474, 1943
Tetrahedron Letters, 9, p. 5689, 1968
- Agricultural UsesHerbicide, Fungicide: Pelargonic acid occurs naturally in many plants and animals. It is used to control the growth of weeds and as a blossom thinner for apple and pear trees. It is also used as a food additive; as an ingredient in solutions used to commercially peel fruits and vegetables
- Trade nameCIRRASOL®-185A; ECONOSAN®; EMERY® 202 (mixture with n-octoic acid); EMFAC®-1202; HEXACID® C-9; PELARGON®; SCYTHE®; WEST AGRO ACID SANITIZER®
- Safety ProfilePoison by intravenous route. Moderately toxic by ingestion. A severe skin and eye irritant. When heated to decomposition it emits acrid smoke and irritating fumes.
- Chemical SynthesisBy oxidation of methylnonyl ketone; by oxidation of oleic acid; or from heptyl iodide via malonic ester synthesis
- Potential ExposurePelargonic acid, a naturally occurring fatty acid herbicide/fungicide. It is used to control the growth of weeds and as a blossom thinner for apple and pear trees. It is also used as a food additive; as an ingredient in solutions used to commercially peel fruits and vegetables; in the manufacture of lacquers, plastics and pharmaceuticals.
- Purification MethodsEsterify the acid with ethylene glycol and distil the ester. (This removes dibasic acids as undistillable residues.) The acid is regenerated by hydrolysing the ester in the usual way and is distilled in vacuo. [Beilstein 2 IV 1018.]
- IncompatibilitiesHeated vapors may form explosive mixture with air. May react violently with strong oxidizers, bromine, 90% hydrogen peroxide, phosphorus trichloride, silver powders or dust. Incompatible with strong bases and silver compounds; mixture with some silver compounds may form explosive salts of silver oxalate.
- Waste DisposalDo not discharge into drains or sewers. Dispose of waste material as hazardous waste using a licensed disposal contractor to an approved landfill. Contact a licensed disposal facility about surplus and non-recyclable solutions. Burn in a chemical incinerator equipped with an afterburner and scrubber. Extra care must be exercised as the material in an organic solvent is highly flammable. Consult with environmental regulatory agencies for guidance on acceptable disposal practices. Incineration with effluent gas scrubbing is recommended. Containers must be disposed of properly by following package label directions or by contacting your local or federal environmental control agency, or by contacting your regional EPA office.
Nonanoic acid Preparation Products And Raw materials
- n-Butylboronic acid Decanoic acid Hexanal 12-Bromododecanoic acid DODECANOIC ACID-1-13C METHYL O-METHYLPODOCARPATE OCTADECANOIC ACID-1-13C Tetradecanedioic acid 11-Bromoundecanoic acid HEPTADECANOIC ACID BRASSIDIC ACID 16-HYDROXYHEXADECANOIC ACID 11-CYANO-1-UNDECANOIC ACID 12-HYDROXYDODECANOIC ACID 11-PHENOXYUNDECANOIC ACID 1,11-Undecanedicarboxylic acid TRIDECANOIC ACID NONADECANOIC ACID
- Company Name:Chengdu HuaXia Chemical Reagent Co. Ltd Gold
- Tel:18981987031 400-1196-196
- Products Intro:CAS:112-05-0
Purity:AR Package:10g;50g;100g;500g;1kg;5kg;25kg Remarks:99kg
- Company Name:Nanjing Zhipu Chemical Co., Ltd Gold
- Tel:13813022170 025-83172967-
- Products Intro:Product Name:Nonanoic Acid;Grantrico n-Nonanoic acid;Pelargonic acid;Nonoic acid
- Company Name:Jinan Century Tongda Chemical Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:15605418165 156-05418165-
- Products Intro:Product Name:Nonanoic Acid
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Products Intro:Product Name:Pelargonic acid, 98%
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Products Intro:Product Name:Pelargonic acid
Purity:98.5% Package:500Ml;1L Remarks:B63018