ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Organic Chemistry > Carboxylic acids and derivatives > Carboxylic acid derivatives > 2-Chloropropionic acid
Basic information Description Preparation Application Biochemical Action Safety Safety Related Supplier
2-Chloropropionic acid Chemical Properties
- Melting point:-12--14 °C
- Boiling point:170-190 °C(lit.)
- Density 1.182 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- vapor pressure 4 mm Hg ( 20 °C)
- refractive index n
- Flash point:215 °F
- storage temp. Store below +30°C.
- solubility H2O: soluble
- PH<1 (200g/l, H2O, 20℃)
- Water Solubility freely soluble
- BRN 1720259
- Stability:Stable. Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents, strong bases.
- CAS DataBase Reference598-78-7(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferencePropanoic acid, 2-chloro-(598-78-7)
- EPA Substance Registry System2-Chloropropionic acid (598-78-7)
2-Chloropropionic acid Usage And Synthesis
- Description2-Chloropropionic acid is a colorless to white crystalline solid or liquid that is denser than water; therefore, can sink and mix with water. It has a slight odor and is the simplest chiral chlorocarboxylic aid.
- Preparation2-Chloropropionic acid is prepared from diazotization of L-alanine in hydrochloric acid.
- Application2-Chloropropionic acid is employed in the production of propargyl 2-chloropropionate (PCP), which is an atom transfer radical polymerization (ATRP) initiator, by the esterification of propargyl alcohol.
The chemical is also used in the synthesis of benzimidazole derivatives when treated with o-phenylenediamine phosphate.
It can also be used in the preparation of biologically active chitin derivative (1-carboxyethyl) chitosan.
It is used as a building block for the preparation of herbicides, dyestuffs, pesticides, as well as forestand agro-chemicals.
- Biochemical Action2-Chloropropionic acid induces necrosis of granule cell layer of rat cerebellum when administered orally.
- Safety2-Chloropropionic acid is a neurotoxin, as such it should be handled with utmost care. When inhaled, the chemical can irritate the nose, throat, and lungs, causing wheezing and coughing.
The chemical is a corrosive substance, which may occur by ingestion. Contact of the chemical with the eyes and skin may cause pain, irritation, redness, and severe burns.
- Chemical Propertiescolourless liquid
- UsesIntermediate for weed killers.
- General DescriptionA pale liquid with a slight odor. Sinks in and mixes with water. Only aluminum, stainless steel or steel covered with a protective lining or coating may contact the liquid or vapor.
- Air & Water ReactionsWater soluble.
- Reactivity Profile2-Chloropropionic acid is neutralized in exothermic reactions by all bases. Reacts with aqueous solutions containing a chemical base and dissolves if neutralization generates a soluble salt. May react with active metals to form gaseous hydrogen and a metal salt. May corrode or dissolve iron, steel, and aluminum parts and containers. Reacts with cyanide salts to generate gaseous hydrogen cyanide. Reacts with diazo compounds, dithiocarbamates, isocyanates, mercaptans, nitrides, and sulfides to generate flammable and/or toxic gases and heat. Reacts with sulfites, nitrites, thiosulfates (to give H2S and SO3), dithionites (SO2), to generate flammable and/or toxic gases and heat. Reacts with carbonates and bicarbonates to generate a harmless gas (carbon dioxide) but some heat. Can be oxidized by strong oxidizing agents and reduced by strong reducing agents. These reactions generate heat. A wide variety of products is possible. May initiate polymerization reactions or catalyze other chemical reactions. Fire produces highly toxic chloride fumes [USCG, 1999].
- HazardCombustible. Toxic by skin contact. Male reproductive damage.
- Health HazardHarmful if inhaled. Irritating to throat. May cause severe skin and eye burns. Harmful if absorbed through skin.
- Safety ProfilePoison by skin contact. A corrosive. Combustible when exposed to heat or flame. To fight fire, use water, foam, alcohol foam. When heated to decomposition it emits toxic fumes of Cl-. See also 3-CHLOROPROPIONIC ACID.
- Purification MethodsDry it with P2O5 and fractionally distil it under vacuum. [Beilstein 2 IV 745.]
2-Chloropropionic acid Preparation Products And Raw materials
- (S)-(-)-2-CHLOROPROPIONIC ACID 98% OPTICAL95%,(S)-(-)-2-Chloropropionic acid, ChiPros(tm 98%, ee 96+%,(S)-(-)-2-Chloropropanoic acid, L-α-Chloropropionic acid Beclomethasone dipropionate A-CHLOROPHENYLACETIC ACID 2-Chlorobutyric acid METHYL 2-CHLOROBUTYRATE CHLOROSUCCINIC ACID Ethyl 2-chloroacetoacetate Diethyl chloromalonate METHYL A-CHLOROPHENYLACETATE 2,3-Dichloropropionic acid ALPHA,BETA-DICHLOROISOBUTYRIC ACID SODIUM SALT ETHYL 2-CHLORO-3-OXO-3-PHENYLPROPANOATE Methyl 2,3-dichloropropionate Ethyl 2-chloro-4,4,4-trifluoroacetoacetate ETHYL-2,3-DICHLOROPROPIONATE ETHYL ALPHA-CHLOROPHENYLACETATE Methyl 2-chloroacetoacetate 2,2-DICHLOROPROPIONIC ACID SODIUM SALT
- Company Name:Changzhou Liren Medical Technology Co. Ltd. Gold
- Tel:13915836899 0519-85859058
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar
- Company Name:TCI (Shanghai) Development Co., Ltd.
- Tel:021-67121386 / 800-988-0390
- Company Name:Energy Chemical
- Tel:400-005-6266 021-58432009-