Basic information Physicochemical property Antidote The water solubility (g / 100 ml) Toxicity Limited use Chemical property Uses Methods of production Category Toxicity grading Acute toxicity Stimulus data Explosive hazard characteristics Combustible hazard Storage and transportation characteristics fire extinguishing agent Professional standards Safety Related Supplier
Sodium nitrite Chemical Properties
- Melting point:271 °C(lit.)
- Boiling point:320 °C
- Density 2.17g/cm3
- storage temp. 2-8°C
- solubility aqueous acid: 1 - 2μl acetic acid per ml H2Osoluble
- form powder
- Specific Gravity2.168
- color White or colorless
- PH9 (100g/l, H2O, 20℃)
- PH Range9
- Water Solubility 820 g/L (20 ºC)
- Sensitive Hygroscopic
- Merck 14,8648
- Stability:Stable. Incompatible with reducing agents, strong oxidizing agents, organics and other flammable materials, finely powdered metals. Contact with combustible material may lead to fire. Hygroscopic.
- CAS DataBase Reference7632-00-0(CAS DataBase Reference)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemSodium nitrite (7632-00-0)
- Hazard Codes O,T,N,Xn
- Risk Statements 8-25-50-22-36/38
- Safety Statements 45-61-36-26
- RIDADR UN 3219 5.1/PG 3
- WGK Germany 3
- RTECS RA1225000
- F 10
- Autoignition Temperature914 °F
- TSCA Yes
- HazardClass 5.1
- PackingGroup III
- HS Code 28341000
- Hazardous Substances Data7632-00-0(Hazardous Substances Data)
- ToxicityLD50 orally in rats: 180 mg/kg (Smyth)
Sodium nitrite Usage And Synthesis
- Physicochemical propertyChemical formula is NaNO2, in which N has a valency is + III.It is colorless or yellow crystal, the relative density is 2.168 (0℃), the melting point is 271℃, and it is decomposed when 320℃. It is soluble in water, and aqueous solution is alkaline because of nitrate hydrolysis. Sodium nitrite has the characteristics of reduction and oxidation and is mainly oxidation. In acidic solution, the main performance is oxidation. In alkaline solution or in case of strong oxidizing agent, its performance is reduction. With sulfur, phosphorus, organic matter and other friction or impact can cause combustion or explosion. Sodium nitrite can be placed in the air with the oxygen reaction, and gradually produce sodium nitrate: NaNO2+1/2O2=NaNO3.
When using strong acidic sodium nitrite, it can be nitrited to nitric acid. Nitrite is very unstable, easily decomposed into nitrogen dioxide, nitric oxide and water. The nitrogen atoms and oxygen atoms all have a single pair of electrons, which can be used as ligands, and can be used as ligands to form complexes with many metal ions. Sodium nitrite is toxic, carcinogenic substances, using it must be attention. It is used in printing and dyeing industry and organic synthesis. Sodium nitrite is obtained by the reaction of sodium nitrate and lead in a total of hot condtion.
The reaction mixture obtained by hot water treatment, filtration to remove insoluble lead oxide, concentration and crystallization of sodium nitrite crystal can be obtained.
Figure 1 white sodium nitrite crystal powder
The information of this information is compiled by ChemicalBook Xiao Nan
- AntidoteSodium nitrite is also a kind of antidote, can make the oxidation of hemoglobin to methemoglobin, and is easy to combine with cyanide ions and produce non-toxic cyanide methemoglobin, then after given sodium thiosulfate, it change into non-toxic sulphur cyanogen compounds, and excreted. The detoxification process is similar to methylene blue. And the effect is stronger than the methylene blue. It keeps for a long time. It is used to save cyanide poisoning.
[Mechanism] Cyanide and ferric iron (Fe3 +) of mitochondrial cytochrome oxidasewith have high affinity, after making enzyme lost activity, inhibiting cell respiration and causing cells to lactic acidosis and lack of oxygen.This oxidizing agent can make the ferrous iron in hemoglobin (Fe2 +) oxidized to ferric iron (Fe3 +), forming methemoglobin. Iron Fe3+ of methemoglobin MHb and cyanide (CN) combine stronger than Fe3 + of cytochrome oxidaseis. Even if CN-has combined with cytochrome oxidase can also make release again, and recovery of enzyme activity. But after methemoglobin combined with CN-, the formation of the cyanide methemoglobin gradually disintegrate within a few minutes, later release the CN-, and toxicity of cyanide recover. So this product only for cyanide poisoning has a temporary delay its toxicity.This product is to dilate blood vessels.
- Severe adverse reactions in injection , should immediately stop drug.
- In the treatment of cyanide poisoning, the product with sodium thiosulfate can cause blood pressure to drop, blood pressure change should be paid attention to.
- Injection of large dose of this product cause methemoglobin present violet purple, available methylene blue make methemoglobin reduction.
- This product on cyanide poisoning are only temporary delay its toxicity. So after the application of this product, immediately injection of sodium thiosulfate by the original intravenous needle, make it combine with chlorine, and become less toxic thiocyanate by urine.
- It must be in the poisoning, early application of poisoning time longer, no detoxification.
- The use of drug , the amount is not too small,.It should be developed livestock slightly blue, can quickly and effectively detoxified.
- The dosage is too large, it can be due to formation excessive methemoglobin, presenting purple, breathing difficulties and other hypoxia symptoms.
- The water solubility (g / 100 ml)At different temperature (℃),It dissolve grams per 100 ml of water:
71.2 g/0 ℃;75.1 g/10 ℃;80.8 g/20 ℃;87.6 g/30 ℃.94.9 g/40 ℃;111 g/60 ℃;113 g/80 ℃;160 g/100 ℃
- ToxicityLD50 orally in rats: 180 mg/kg (Smyth)
- Limited useGB 2760-1996 (g/kg): pickled meat of livestock and poultry, canned meat, pickled salted ham 0.15; residue 0.07.
- Chemical propertyIt is white or yellow patch on the orthorhombic crystal or powder. Micro salty and deliquescent. It is soluble in water and liquid ammonia, its aqueous solution is alkaline.
- As send lubricious agent, Sodium nitrite is used in meat products processing.
- Sodium nitrite is used as a common analytical reagent, oxidant and diazotization reagent, also used for the synthesis of nitrite and nitroso compound .
- Used as a mordant, bleach, metal heat treatment, electroplating, corrosion inhibitor, medicine, used as instrument disinfectant and preservative, etc.
- Used as the production for ice dye, sulphur dyes, direct dyes, acid dyes, disperse dyes, basic dyes, hair dye, H hole aid. Also it is used in the production of amino azobenzene, para amino phenol intermediates, etc. Also it is used in production of organic pigments, such as silver bead R, bright red, big red, bright red candle, toluidine mauve, scarlet lake, lithol scarlet, fast bordeaux lake CK, etc. It is used in the manufacture of ethylamine pyrimidine, aminopyrin and so on in the pharmaceutical industry. It is used in the production of vanillin, and used as bleaching for silk and flax and mordant dyeing of fabrics. Also it is used for metal heat treatment and plating corrosion inhibitor. It is used for cutting oil, lubricating oil, antifreeze liquid and hydraulic system.
- Sodium nitrite is allowed to use the hair color agent in China. It is excluded nitrite under the action of lactic acid in the meat, and then decompose the nitroso (N0), the latter with myoglobin can generate nitroso myoglobin of the bright red color, and can produce a special flavor. Sodium nitrite can inhibit a variety of anaerobic clostridium spore bacteria, especially for clostridium botulinum. Regulations in China can be used for canning class livestock and poultry meat and meat products, the maximum amount is 0.15 g/kg, Residues (according to sodium nitrite) shall not be more than 0.03 g/kg in meat products, residues of 0.07 g/kg in pickle brine ham. It can also be used in canned meat, shall not be more than 0.05 g/kg.
- It is used as a hair color agent in meat products processing, and can be used in canned meat and meat products. It has a certain role on inhibit microbial proliferation in the meat products(with special inhibition on clostridium botulinum), and can improve the flavor of bacon. As a preservative.
- It is used as meat send lubricious agent, Antimicrobial agent, and Preservatives.
- In Japan, It can be used in canned meat, ham, sausage, bacon, corned beef and other meat products. It can be used as ascorbic acid, ascorbic acid, cysteine and nicotinamide as color auxiliary. The Dosage is reference.
- Methods of productionAmmonia is oxidated to nitrous oxide gas, which is with sodium hydroxide or sodium carbonate solution absorption.
The procession of Pb reduction the sodium nitrate The sodium nitrate is heated to melt, adding a small amount of metallic lead, continue to stir and heated to all oxidation of lead. The generated block cooling and divided into small pieces, and several times with hot water extraction generated to lead oxide. Bubbled into carbon dioxide generated lead carbonate precipitation, filtered, with dilute nitric acid and filtrate correctly, the evaporation and crystallization precipitation of concentrated sodium nitrite. After suction, it obtained by dry after washing with ethanol and recrystallization refined again.
2. The method of absorption: The containing tail gas is removed from absorption access to the bottom in the dilute nitric acid production process, the consumption of sodium carbonate solution of 20%~30% down from the tower spray to absorb nox in the exhaust gas, generated neutralization solution. When relative density of the solution is 1.24~1.25, the content of sodium carbonate is 3~5 g/L, the agent of arsenic and heavy metal removal agent purification, filtration to remove impurities such as arsenic and heavy metals, the refined solution by evaporating, cooling crystallization, centrifugal separation, drying, consumption of sodium nitrite was finished. its
Na2CO3 + NO + N02→2NaNO2 + CO2
Na2CO3 + 2N02→NaNO2 + NaNO3 + CO2
The centrifugal separation of the mother liquor, it is used as the material of producing edible sodium nitrate.
3. With caustic soda or soda ash solution absorbing tail gas containing a small amount of NO and NO2 in nitric acid or a nitrate production. In the tail gas of NO/NO2 ratio to adjust to the NaNO2 and NaNO3 in the neutralization liquid ratio below 8. The quality of the liquid in the process of absorption and should avoid acid, so as to avoid corrosion of the equipment. When the relative density of liquid is 1.24~1.25, the content of soda ash is 3~5 g/L and send to evaporation, absorb liquid evaporation concentration at 132 ℃, then cool to 75 ℃, precipitation sodium nitrite in crystallization, then through separation, drying to quick product.
Na2CO3 + NO + NO2→2 NaNO2 + CO2
- Categoryoxidizing agent
- Toxicity gradinghigh toxic
- Acute toxicityOrally administered: rats LD50:85 mg/kg , mice LD50: 175 mg/kg
- Stimulus dataEyes-Rabbit 500 mg mild
- Explosive hazard characteristicsMixed with reducing agent, heat, impact, friction can be explosive
- Combustible hazardThe heat decomposition can produce toxic nitrogen oxide and sodium oxide smoke
- Storage and transportation characteristicsWarehouse ventilation and low temperature drying; separate storage with organic matter, reducing agent, and other flammable materials, food raw materials.
- fire extinguishing agentWater spray, sandy soil
- Professional standardsTWA 1mg/m3 , STET 3mg/m3
- Chemical PropertiesSodium nitrite, NaN02, is a fire-hazardous, air-sensitive, yellowish white powder that is soluble in water and decomposes at temperatures above 320°C (608 °F). Sodium nitrite is used as an intermediate for dye stuffs and for pickling of meat, in dyeing of textiles, in rustproofing, in medicine, and as a reagent in organic chemistry.
- UsesSodium nitrite is a myeloperoxidase inhibitor with IC50 of 1.3 μM
- Usesmanufacture of diazo dyes, nitroso Compounds, and in many other processes of manufacture of organic chemicals; dyeing and printing textile fabrics; bleaching flax, silk, and linen; photography. In meat curing, coloring and preserving; in processing smoked chub. Also as reagent In animal chemistry.
- UsesSodium Nitrite is the salt of nitrous acid that functions as an anti- microbial agent and preservative. it is a slightly yellow granular powder or nearly white, opaque mass or sticks. it is deliquescent in air. it has a solubility of 1 g in 1.5 ml of water. it is used in meat cur- ing for color fixation and development of flavor. see nitrite.
- Definitionsodium nitrite: A yellow hygroscopiccrystalline compound, NaNO2,soluble in water, slightly soluble inether and in ethanol; rhombohedral;r.d. 2.17; m.p. 271°C; decomposesabove 320°C. It is formed by the thermal decomposition of sodium nitrateand is used in the preparation of nitrousacid (reaction with cold dilutehydrochloric acid). Sodium nitrite isused in organic diazotization and asa corrosion inhibitor.
- Production MethodsSodium nitrite, yellowish-white solid, soluble, formed (1) by reaction of nitric oxide plus nitrogen dioxide and sodium carbonate or hydroxide, and then evaporating, (2) by heating sodium nitrate and lead to a high temperature, and then extracting the soluble portion (lead monoxide insoluble) with H2O and evaporating. Used as an important reagent (diazotizing) in organic chemistry.
- DefinitionChEBI: An inorganic sodium salt having nitrite as the counterion. Used as a food preservative and antidote to cyanide poisoning.
- General DescriptionA yellowish white crystalline solid. Noncombustible but will accelerate the burning of combustible material. If large quantities are involved in a fire or if the combustible material is finely divided, an explosion may result. If contaminated by ammonium compounds, spontaneous decomposition can occur and the resulting heat may ignite surrounding combustible material. Prolonged exposure heat may result in an explosion. Toxic oxides of nitrogen are produced in fires involving Sodium nitrite. Used as a food preservative, and to make other chemicals.
- Air & Water ReactionsSoluble in water.
- Reactivity ProfileSodium nitrite is an oxidizing agent. Mixtures with phosphorus, tin(II) chloride or other reducing agents may react explosively [Bretherick 1979 p. 108-109]. If contaminated by ammonium compounds, spontaneous decomposition can occur and resulting heat may ignite surrounding combustible material. Reacts with acids to form toxic nitrogen dioxide gas. Mixing with liquid ammonia forms dipotassium nitrite, which is very reactive and easily explosive [Mellor 2, Supp. 3:1566 1963]. Melting together wilh an ammonium salt leads to a violent explosion [Von Schwartz 1918 p. 299]. A mixture with potassium cyanide may cause an explosion. Noncombustible but accelerates the burning of all combustible material. If large quantities are involved in fire or if the combustible material is finely divided, an explosion may result. When a little ammonium sulfate is added to fused potassium nitrite, a vigorous reaction occurs attended by flame [Mellor 2:702. 1946-47].
- HazardDangerous fire and explosion risk when heated to 537C (1000F) or in contact with reducing materials; a strong oxidizing agent. Carcinogen in test animals; its use in curing fish and meat products is restricted to 100 ppm.
- Health HazardIngestion (or inhalation of excessive amounts of dust) causes rapid drop in blood pressure, persistent and throbbing headache, vertigo, palpitations, and visual disturbances; skin becomes flushed and sweaty, later cold and cyanotic; other symptoms include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea (sometimes), fainting, methemoglobinemia. Contact with eyes causes irritation.
- Safety ProfileHuman poison by ingestion. Experimental poison by ingestion, inhalation, subcutaneous, intravenous, and intraperitoneal routes. Human systemic effects by ingestion: motor activity changes, coma, decreased blood pressure with possible pulse rate increase without fall in blood pressure, arteriolar or venous dlation, nausea or vomiting, and blood me themoglo binemiacarboxyhemoglobinemia. Experimental teratogenic and reproductive effects. An eye irritant. Questionable carcinogen with experimental neoplas tigenic and tumorigenic data. Human mutation data reported. It may react with organic amines in the body to form carcinogenic nitrosamines. Flammable; a strong oxidizing agent. In contact with organic matter, will ignite by friction. May explode when heated to over 100O0F or on contact with cyanides, NH4' salts, cellulose, LI, (K + NH3), Na2S203. Incompatible with aminoguanidine salts, butadene, phthalic acid, phthalic anhydride, reductants, sodlum amide, sodmm disulfite, sodium thocyanate, urea wood. When heated to decomposition it emits toxic fumes of NOx and NaaO. See also NITRITES.
- Purification MethodsCrystallise NaNO2 from hot water (0.7mL/g) by cooling to 0o, or from its own melt. Dry it over P2O5. (See KNO2.)
Sodium nitrite Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Raw materialsSodium hydroxideNitric acidSodium carbonateAmmonium hydroxideCARBON DIOXIDE4-ChlorobenzaldehydeSodium nitrateLead monoxideNITRIC OXIDENITROGEN DIOXIDENITROUS ACIDMETALI LEAD
- Preparation Products2-Fluoro-6-methylpyridine9-DIETHYLAMINO-2-HYDROXY-5H-BENZ(A)-4-Hydroxy-2,6-dimethylpyridine6-Fluoronicotinic acidChelidamic acid5-(4-Bromophenyl)furfuralDL-ALPHA-HYDROXYCAPROIC ACID, 95(S)-(+)-2-HYDROXY-3-METHYLBUTYRIC ACIDDIRECT FAST BLACK G2 BASIC ORANGE 23-CHLORO-5-NITRO-1H-INDAZOLE4-Iodopyridine5-[4-(TRIFLUOROMETHOXY)PHENYL]-2-FURALDEHYDE2-HYDROXY-4-PYRIDINECARBOXALDEHYDE5-AMINOINDAZOLEETHYL 2-CHLORO-4-METHYL-1,3-THIAZOLE-5-CARBOXYLATE3-BROMO-6-NITROINDAZOLE2-Bromo-5-nitrothiazole5-[4-FLUORO-3-(TRIFLUOROMETHYL)PHENYL]-2-FURALDEHYDE6-Hydroxyindazole2-Fluoro-5-methylpyridine7-NitroindazoleReactive Red 15Mordant Black 91,3-DIMETHOXY-5-FLUOROBENZENE4-FluorobenzotrifluoridePigment Yellow 144-(N,N-Diethyl)-2-methyl-p-phenylenediamine monohydrochloridePigment Red 1464-(N-Ethyl-N-2-hydroxyethyl)-2-methylphenylenediamine sulfate1-Methyl-4-Ethoxycarbonyl Pyrazole-5-Sulfonamide1H-INDAZOLE-3-CARBOXYLIC ACID ETHYL ESTER6-NitroindazoleNITROMALONALDEHYDE SODIUM3-FluorobenzotrifluorideSodium benzotriazoleN,N-DIETHYL-P-PHENYLENEDIAMINE MONOHYDROCHLORIDE8-AZAXANTHIN2-Fluorobenzotrifluoride 1H-INDAZOLE-3-CARBONITRILE
- POTASSIUM NITRITE Sodium chloride Sodium bicarbonate Sodium 3-nitrobenzenesulphonate MORDANT BROWN 1 NITROSULFONAZO III, INDICATOR GRADE 2,4-DINITROBENZENESULFONIC ACID SODIUM SALT ACID ORANGE 74 nitrazine yellow ACID YELLOW 65 2,4,6-TRINITROBENZENESULFONIC ACID SODIUM SALT Eriochrome Black T Mordant Brown 33 ACID BLUE 29 ACID YELLOW 99 CHROMOTROPE 2B 4-CHLORO-3-NITROBENZENESULFONIC ACID, SODIUM SALT NAPHTHOL YELLOW S
- Company Name:Wen tong potassium salt group co. LTD Gold
- Company Name:Shanghai Aladdin Bio-Chem Technology Co.,LTD Gold
- Tel:400-620-6333 021-20337333-801
- Company Name:ChemStrong Scientific Co.,Ltd Gold
- Tel:15920483169 0755-66853366-
- Company Name:Zhejiang langbo medicine technology co., ltd Gold
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-