ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Chemical Reagents > Organic reagents > Aliphatic aldehydes > Methacrolein
Methacrolein Chemical Properties
- Melting point:-81 °C
- Boiling point:69 °C
- Density 0.85 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- vapor density 2.4 (vs air)
- vapor pressure 121 mm Hg ( 20 °C)
- refractive index n
- Flash point:5 °F
- storage temp. 2-8°C
- form Liquid
- color Pale yellow
- Odor Threshold0.0085ppm
- Water Solubility 6 g/100 mL (20 ºC)
- Sensitive Light Sensitive
- BRN 1209258
- Stability:Stable. Incompatible with strong bases, strong oxidising agents, strong reducing agents. Light and air-sensitive. Hazardous polymerisation may occur.
- CAS DataBase Reference78-85-3(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry Reference2-Propenal, 2-methyl-(78-85-3)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemMethacrolein (78-85-3)
Methacrolein Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical Propertiescolourless to light yellow liquid
- UsesAn unsaturated aldehyde used in the manufacture of polymers and synthetic resin. Cancer studies revealed consumption and release of this volatile organic compound in human small cell lung cancer line, a potential cancer biomarker.
- UsesMethacrolein was used to study the effect of parts per billion levels of limonene oxidation products and the terpene oxidation product, methacrolein on human eye blink frequency. It was also used in determination of rate constants and the products of the reactions between atomic chlorine and acrolein, methacrolein and methyl vinyl ketone.
- General DescriptionA colorless liquid. Flash point 35°F. Less dense than water. May be toxic by ingestion, inhalation and skin absorption. Severely irritating to skin and eyes. Used to make plastics.
- Air & Water ReactionsHighly flammable. Soluble in water.
- Reactivity ProfileMethacrolein is an aldehyde. Aldehydes are frequently involved in self-condensation or polymerization reactions. These reactions are exothermic; they are often catalyzed by acid. Aldehydes are readily oxidized to give carboxylic acids. Flammable and/or toxic gases are generated by the combination of aldehydes with azo, diazo compounds, dithiocarbamates, nitrides, and strong reducing agents. Aldehydes can react with air to give first peroxo acids, and ultimately carboxylic acids. These autoxidation reactions are activated by light, catalyzed by salts of transition metals, and are autocatalytic (catalyzed by the products of the reaction). The addition of stabilizers (antioxidants) to shipments of aldehydes retards autoxidation.
- HazardFlammable, dangerous fire risk. Strong irritant.
- Health HazardTOXIC; may be fatal if inhaled, ingested or absorbed through skin. Inhalation or contact with some of these materials will irritate or burn skin and eyes. Fire will produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases. Vapors may cause dizziness or suffocation. Runoff from fire control or dilution water may cause pollution.
- Fire HazardHIGHLY FLAMMABLE: Will be easily ignited by heat, sparks or flames. Vapors may form explosive mixtures with air. Vapors may travel to source of ignition and flash back. Most vapors are heavier than air. They will spread along ground and collect in low or confined areas (sewers, basements, tanks). Vapor explosion and poison hazard indoors, outdoors or in sewers. May polymerize explosively when heated or involved in a fire. Runoff to sewer may create fire or explosion hazard. Containers may explode when heated. Many liquids are lighter than water.
- Safety ProfilePoison by ingestion and sktn contact. Moderately toxic by inhalation. Severe eye and skin irritant. Mutation data reported. Dangerously flammable liquid when exposed to heat, flame, or oxidizers. Can react vigorously with oxidizing materials. To fight fire, use CO2, alcohol foam, foam, dry chemical. When heated to decomposition it emits acrid smoke and irritating fumes. See also ALDEHYDES.
- Purification MethodsFractionally distil it under nitrogen through a short Vigreux column (p 11). Store it in sealed ampoules. (Slight polymerisation may occur.) [Beilstein 1 IV 3455.]
Methacrolein Preparation Products And Raw materials
- 3-AMINO-2-METHYLACROLEIN 3-Ethoxy-2-methylacrolein,β-Ethoxy-α-methylacrolein METHACROLEIN-DNPH, 1X1ML, ACN 100UG/ML Methacrolein dimer TRANS-2-METHYL-2-BUTENAL 2-CHLORO-3-METHYLACROLEIN 2-(Methoxymethyl)-2-propenal METHACROLEIN-DNPH 1X1ML ACN 100UG/ML METHACROLEIN POLYMER 2-Methoxypropene 2-Ethylacrylaldehyde 2,2-Bis(hydroxymethyl)propionic acid polyisobutylene rubber 2,4,4-TRIMETHYL-1-PENTENE Methyl ITACONYL CHLORIDE DIPHENYLCYCLOPROPENONE (-)-2-[METHYLAMINO]-1-PHENYLPROPANE
- Company Name:Shanghai GAOXIANG Chemical Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:18930243658 021-57816257-
- Company Name:Weifang Qianyuan Biotechnology Co., Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:Wuhan Xinyangruihe Chemical Technology Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:13720274133 027-83850377-
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-