ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Inorganic chemistry > Inorganic salts > Metal halide and Halogen salt > Metal fluoride and salt > Calcium fluoride
Calcium fluoride Chemical Properties
- Melting point:1402 °C
- Boiling point:2500 °C(lit.)
- Density 3.18 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- refractive index 1.434
- Flash point:2500°C
- storage temp. -20°C
- solubility Slightly soluble in acid; insoluble in acetone.
- form rod
- color white
- Specific Gravity3.18
- Water Solubility INSOLUBLE
- Sensitive Hygroscopic
- Merck 14,1667
- Solubility Product Constant (Ksp)pKsp: 8.28
- Stability:Stable. Incompatible with acids.
- CAS DataBase Reference7789-75-5(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferenceCalcium fluoride(7789-75-5)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemCalcium difluoride (7789-75-5)
Calcium fluoride Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical PropertiesCalcium fluoride is the main ingredient of fluorspar or fluorite, the chemical formula is CaF2, it is colorless cubic crystal or white powder. The relative density is 3.18, the melting point is 1423℃, boiling point is about 2500 ℃. The solubility in water is minimal , 100g water can dissolve only 0.0016g at 18 ℃, it is insoluble in acetone, but soluble in hydrochloric acid, hydrofluoric acid, sulfuric acid, nitric acid and ammonium salt solution, and it can not react with dilute acid, but can react with hot concentrated sulfuric acid and generate hydrofluoric acid, it can form a complex when dissolves in aluminum and iron salts (Fe3 +) solution.
Natural calcium fluoride is mineral fluorite or fluorspar, often shows gray, yellow, green, purple and other colors, sometimes it is colorless, transparent, shiny glass, brittle, and the relative density is 3.01~3.25, it has significant phenomenon of fluorescence. It can be used as the source of fluorine and the material to make hydrofluoric acid system, fluoride; and it can also be used in terms of the manufacture of glass, enamel, glaze. Fluorite is mainly used as a flux in metallurgy, the very pure fluorspar can be used to make specialty lenses. Water when contains (1~1.5) × 10-6 calcium fluoride can prevent dental problems. In addition, it can be used in smelting iron and steel, chemicals, glass, ceramics manufacturing. Pure product can be used for catalyst of dehydration, dehydrogenation. By the effect of soluble calcium salts (calcium carbonate or calcium hydroxide) and sodium fluoride or hydrofluoric acid, ammonium fluoride, calcium fluoride can be obtained.
- Uses▼▲IndustryApplicationRole/benefitChemical manufactureProduction of hydrofluoric acid and fluorideRaw material/source of fluorideProduction of fluorine fine chemicals and synthetic cryoliteRaw material/source of fluorideArchitectural materialProduction of glassFluxing agent/promote the melting of raw materialsProduction of cementMineralization agentProduction of ceramic glazeFluxes and coloring aidsMetallurgyIron and steel smelting, ferroalloy production,etc.Fluxing agent/reduce the melting point of refractory substancesMedicineTreatment, control, prevention, & improvement of allergic reactionsPromoting new bone formationThermal imaging systems, spectroscopy, telescopes and excimer lasersManufacture of optical components, such as windows and lensesRaw material/broad range of transmission light frequencies; low refractive index; high thermo stabilityOthersProduction of welding agentsImportant components in coatings of welding rods and welding powdersDehydration and dehydrogenation reactionCatalyst/accelerate the process of reactionManufacture of brake liningAdditive/helps reduce abrasion caused by high heat and friction
- Production methodThe fluorite deposits which have been found in china, are main used the mine using underground mining method, or shallow open-pit mining, and underground deep mining, for ore body most tilt vein, the extending is also large. Mining method is based in shallow hole Shrinkage Method based. Mining process sees "phosphate rock." Beneficiation methods have two types generally, the one is raw ore can become qualified ore concentrate by handling select, the second is hand-selected lean ore and tailings.
- Chemical PropertiesCalcium fluoride, CaF2, also known as fluorite and feldspar, is a colorless solid composed of cubic crystals. It has a low water solubility, but is readily soluble in ammonium salt solutions. Calcium fluoride is used in the synthesis of hydrofluoric acid and in etching glass.
- Chemical PropertiesCalcium fluoride is colorless crystalline or white, powdery substance.
- Physical propertiesWhite cubic crystal or powder; refractive index 1.434; density 3.18 g/cm3; hardness 4 Mohs; melts at 1,418°C; vaporizes at 2,533°C; insoluble in water (16 mg/L at 20°C); Ksp 3.9x10-11; slightly soluble in dilute mineral acid; soluble in concentrated acids (with reaction).
- UsesNaturally occurring CaF2 is the principal source of
hydrogenfluoride, a commodity chemicalusedto produce
a wide range of materials. Fluoride is liberated from the
mineral by the action of concentrated sulfuric acid:
CaF2 (solid)＋H2SO4 (liq)→CaSO4 (solid)＋2HF (gas)
CaF2 is used as an optical component because of its chemical stability under adverse conditions.Calcium fluoride is commonly used as a window material for both infrared and ultraviolet wavelengths, since it is transparent in these regions (about 0.15 to 9 mm) and exhibits an extremely low-refractive index.
Calcium Fluoride is a water insoluble calcium source for use in oxygen-sensitive applications, such as metal production. In extremely low concentrations (ppm), fluoride compounds are used in health applications. Fluoride compounds also have significant uses in synthetic organic chemistry. They are also commonly used to alloy metal and for optical deposition.
It is also used as a flux for melting and liquid processing of iron, steel and their composites. Its action is based on its similar melting point to iron, on its ability to dissolve oxides and on its ability to wet oxides and metals.
- UsesFluorspar is the main primary source of fluorine and its Compounds. In ferrous metallurgy it is used as a flux to increase the fluidity of the slag. The steel industry is the largest consumer; the chemical industry, second and glass and ceramics, third. Synthetic fluorspar is used in the optical industry (transmits u.v. rays), and pure calcium fluoride is used as catalyst in dehydration and dehydrogenations. Used to fluoridate drinking water.
- DefinitionA pure naturally occurring form of calcium fluoride.
- Production MethodsThe commercial product is obtained from naturally occurring mineral fluorspar, which is purified and powdered. Also, it may be precipitated by mixing a solution of sodium fluoride with a soluble calcium salt:
Ca(NO3)2 + 2NaF → CaF2 + NaNO3
Alternatively, it may be obtained by treating calcium carbonate with hydrofluoric acid：CaCO3 + 2HF → CaF2 + CO2 + H2O.
- DefinitionA mineral form of calcium fluoride (CaF2), used in making some cements and types of glass.
- General DescriptionOdorless gray powder or granules. Sinks in water.
- Reactivity ProfileCalcium fluoride has weak oxidizing or reducing powers. Redox reactions can however still occur. The majority of compounds in this class are slightly soluble or insoluble in water. If soluble in water, then the solutions are usually neither strongly acidic nor strongly basic. These compounds are not water-reactive.
- HazardAn irritant.
- Health HazardLittle acute toxicity
- Industrial usesAlso called fluorite, fluorspar is a crystalline or massive granular mineral of the composition CaF2, used as a flux in the making of steel, for making hydrofluoric acid, in opalescent glass, in ceramic enamels, for snaking artificial cryolite, as a binder for vitreous abrasive wheels,and in the production of white cement. It is a better flux for steel than limestone, making a fluid slag, and freeing the iron of sulfur and phosphorus.
Acid spar is a grade used in making hydrofluoric acid. It is also used for making refrigerants, plastics, and chemicals, and for aluminum reduction. Optical fluorspar is the highest grade but is not common. Fluoride crystals for optical lenses are grown artificially from acid-grade fluorspar. Pure calcium fluoride, Ca2F6, is a colorless crystalline powder used for etching glass, in enamels, and for reducing friction in machine bearings. It is also used for ceramic parts resistant to hydrofluoric acid and most other acids. Calcium fluorite has silicon in the molecule and is a crystalline powder used for enamels. The clear rhombic fluoride crystals used for transforming electric energy into light are lead fluoride, PbF2.
- Safety ProfileModerately toxic by intraperitoneal route. Mildly toxic by ingestion. An experimental teratogen. Other experimental reproductive effects. Mutation data reported. See also FLUORIDES and CALCIUM COMPOUNDS. When heated to decomposition it emits toxic fumes of F-.
- Potential ExposureCalcium fluoride is used for production of hydrofluoric acid; as a flux in steel manufacture; in smelting; electric arc welding, making glass and ceramics; and to fluoridate drinking water.
- ShippingCalcium fluoride is not specifically covered by DOT in its Performance-Oriented Packaging Standards.
- IncompatibilitiesDust may form explosive mixture with air. Reacts with water, moist air, and steam, releasing flammable hydrogen gas; and may self-ignite in air. A strong reducing agent; incompatible with oxidizers (chlorates, nitrates, peroxides, permanganates, perchlorates, chlorine, bromine, fluorine, etc.); contact may cause fires or explosions. Keep away from alkaline materials, strong bases, strong acids, oxoacids, epoxides. Incompatible with metal halogenates, silver fluoride, and tetrahydrofuran
Calcium fluoride Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Preparation ProductsHydrofluoric acidBoron trifluoride etheratePotassium dihydrogen phosphateHexafluorosilicic acidCalcium cyanamideSodium fluorideTrisodium hexafluoroaluminateAluminum fluoridebastnasiteCarbon tetrafluoride Sodium fluoroaluminateZINC SILICOFLUORIDEMAGNESIUM HEXAFLUOROACETYLACETONATE DIHYDRATE
- Raw materialsHydrofluoric acidCalcium hydroxide CARBON MONOXIDESilicon dioxideAcetic acid calcium saltcalcium magnesium phosphate(CMP)
- Calcium fluoride Aluminum fluoride Calcium fluoride crystal optic disc, 32mm x 3mm, polished both sides Calcium chloride phosphate (Ca5Cl(PO4)3), solid soln. with calcium fluoride phosphate (Ca5F(PO4)3) Calcium fluoride crystal optic rectangle, 30mm x 15mm x 4mm (drilled), polished both sides Calcium fluoride crystal optic disk, 25mm x 4mm, polished both sides Calcium fluoride crystal optic rectangle, 38.5mm x 19.5mm x 4mm (drilled), polished both sides calcium fluoride phosphate Calcium fluoride crystal optic disc, 25mm x 2mm, polished both sides Calcium fluoride crystal optic rectangle, 30mm x 15mm x 4mm, polished both sides ALUMINUM CALCIUM FLUORIDE,aluminium calcium fluoride CALCIUM HYDRIDE Calcium carbonate sodium fluoride FLUORIDE STANDARD Calcium Propionate Silicic acid, calcium salt Calcium gluconate
- Company Name:Linyi Fude Fine Chemical Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:0539-2361189 18653979428
- Company Name:Sinopharm Chemical Reagent Co,Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:Wuhan Mengqi Technology Co., Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar
- Dec 3，2019