ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Inorganic chemistry > Inorganic salts > Metal halide and Halogen salt > Metal fluoride and salt > Barium fluoride
Barium fluoride Chemical Properties
- Melting point:1354 °C
- Boiling point:2260 °C(lit.)
- Density 4.89 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- refractive index 1.4741
- Flash point:2260°C
- storage temp. Store at +5°C to +30°C.
- solubility 1.2g/l
- form random crystals
- color White
- Specific Gravity4.89
- Water Solubility 1.6 g/L (20 ºC)
- Sensitive Hygroscopic
- Merck 14,974
- Solubility Product Constant (Ksp)pKsp: 6.74
- Stability:Stable. Incompatible with acids.
- CAS DataBase Reference7787-32-8(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferenceBarium fluoride(7787-32-8)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemBarium fluoride (BaF2) (7787-32-8)
Barium fluoride Usage And Synthesis
- DescriptionBarium fluoride (chemical formula: BaF2) is a inorganic salt consisting of barium and fluorine. It appears as a transparent crystal and is presented in the mineral frankdicksonite in nature.
Barium fluoride has many applications. It can be used for the manufacturing of optical components such as lenses as well as the windows of infrared spectroscopy. It can also be used as scintillators for detection of X-rays, Gamma rays and other high energy particles. In aluminium-metallurgy, it is used as additive in aluminium refining process. It can also be used as a flux and opacifying agent during the enamel and glazing first production. Moreover, it is also applied in the production of welding agents. Barium fluoride is made through the reaction between barium carbonate with ammonium fluoride.
- DescriptionBarium fluoride appears as colourless, odourless crystals/white powder and is slightly soluble in water but soluble in ethanol and methanol. When heated, barium fluoride decomposes and emits toxic fumes of fluorine and barium. Barium fluoride is used as a preopacifying agent and in enamel and glazing frits production. Its other use is in the production of welding agents (an additive to some fluxes, a component of coatings for welding rods and in welding powders). It is also used in metallurgy as a molten bath for refining aluminium.
- Chemical PropertiesWhite Fine Powder
- Physical propertiesBarium fluoride (BaF2), also known as barium(II) fluoride, is a solid which can also be a transparent crystal. Its molecular weight is 175.34 g/mol. It occurs in nature as the mineral “Frankdicksonite”. It occurs as a white powder with a melting point of 1290 and a boiling point of 2259°C. It is slightly soluble in water (0.159 at 0.0°C and 0.162 g/100 ml of water at 20°C). The solid generally assumes the fluorite structure, but when subjected to high pressure, changes to the PbCl2 structure. In the vapor phase, the BaF2 molecule is nonlinear with an F–Ba–F angle of approximately 108°C.
- UsesAs a flux and opacifier in vitreous enamels; in the manufacture of carbon brushes for DC motors and generators; in heat-treating metals; in embalming; in glass manufacture.
- Safety ProfileA poison by ingestion and intraperitoneal routes. Moderately toxic by subcutaneous route. An experimental teratogen. See also FLUORIDES and BARIUM COMPOUNDS (soluble). When heated to decomposition it emits toxic fumes of F-.
- Purification MethodsWash it well with distilled H2O and dry it in a vacuum. Its solubility in H2O is 1.6g (10o), 1.6g (20o) and 1.62g (30o) per L, and is soluble in mineral acids and aqueous NH4Cl. It may be stored in glass bottles. [Kwasnik in Handbook of Preparative Inorganic Chemistry (Ed. Brauer) Academic Press Vol I p 234 1963.]
Barium fluoride Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Barium iodide BARIUM FLUORIDE BROMIDE Barium fluoride crystal optic disc, 13mm x 2mm, polished both sides Barium fluoride crystal optic disc, 32mm x 3mm, polished both sides Barium fluoride crystal optic rectangle, 30mm x 15mm x 4mm, polished both sides BARIUM FLUORIDE CHLORIDE POLARISER WITH BARIUM FLUORIDE SUBSTRATE Barium fluoride crystal optic rectangle, 38.5mm x 19.5mm x 4mm, polished both sides Barium fluoride crystal optic disc, 25mm x 4mm, polished both sides Barium chloride dihydrate BARIUM HYDRIDE Barium fluoride Barium sulfate sodium fluoride Barium chloride Barium carbonate FLUORIDE STANDARD Barium
- Company Name:Wuhan jiyesheng Chemical Co., Ltd Gold
- Company Name:Hubei XinRunde Chemical Co., Ltd Gold
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar