ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Biochemical Engineering > Amino Acids and Derivatives > Glycine derivative > N,N-Dimethylglycine
N,N-Dimethylglycine Chemical Properties
- Melting point:178-182 °C(lit.)
- Boiling point:193.35°C (rough estimate)
- Density 1 g/cm3
- refractive index 1.4674 (estimate)
- storage temp. Keep in dark place,Sealed in dry,Room Temperature
- pka9.89(at 25℃)
- form Crystalline Powder
- color White to slightly yellow
- Water Solubility soluble
- Sensitive Hygroscopic
- Merck 14,3244
- BRN 1700261
- CAS DataBase Reference1118-68-9(CAS DataBase Reference)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemGlycine, N,N-dimethyl- (1118-68-9)
N,N-Dimethylglycine Usage And Synthesis
- DescriptionN,N-Dimethylglycine (DMG) is a N-methylated product of the amino acid glycine. It is found in beans and liver. It is used in comparative analysis with other N-methylated glycines. N,N-Dimethylglycine is used in the development of glycine-based ionic liquids and emulsifiers, and as a substrate to identify, differentiate and characterize amino acid methyltransferase(s). It can be used also as an athletic performance enhancer, immunostimulant, and to treat autism, epilepsy, or mitochondrial disease. N,N-Dimethylglycine is potentially useful as a biomarker of protein degradation in COPD patients.
- ReferencesJ. K. Kern, V. S. Miller, L. Cauller, R. Kendall, J. Mehta, M. Dodd, Effectiveness of N,N-Dimethylglycine in Autism and Pervasive Developmental Disorder, Journal of Child Neurology, 2001, vol. 16, pp. 169-173
- DescriptionDimethyl glycine (DMG) is a derivative of the amino acid glycine with the structural formula (CH3)2NCH2COOH. It can be found in beans and liver. It can be formed from trimethylglycine upon the loss of one of its methyl groups. It is also a byproduct of the metabolism of choline.
When DMG was first discovered, it was referred to as vitamin B16, but, unlike true B vitamins, deficiency of DMG in the diet does not lead to any ill-effects meaning it does not meet the definition of a vitamin.
- Chemical Propertieswhite to slightly yellow crystalline powder
- UsesDimethylglycine has been suggested for use as an athletic performance enhancer, immunostimulant, and a treatment for autism, epilepsy, or mitochondrial disease . Published studies on the subject have shown little to no difference between DMG treatment and placebo in autism spectrum disorders.
- PreparationN,N-Dimethylglycine is commercially available as the free form amino acid, and as the hydrochloride salt [2491-06-7 ]. DMG may be prepared by the alkylation of glycine via the Eschweiler–Clarke reaction. In this reaction, glycine is treated with aqueous formaldehyde in formic acid that serves as both solvent and reductant. Hydrochloric acid is added thereafter to give the hydrochloride salt. The free amino acid may been obtained by neutralization of the acid salt, which has been performed with silver oxide.
H2NCH2COOH + 2 CH2O + 2 HCOOH →(CH3)2NCH2COOH + 2 CO2 + 2 H2O.
- DefinitionChEBI: An N-methylglycine that is glycine carrying two N-methyl substituents.
N,N-Dimethylglycine Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Preparation Products4-(IMIDAZOL-1-YL)PHENOL
- DIMETHYLGLYCINE HCL,N,N-DIMETHYLGLYCINE HCL,N,N-DIMETHYLGLYCINE HYDROCHLORIDE 2,2-DIMETHYLGLYCINE METHYL ESTER HYDROCHLORIDE N-DODECYL-N,N-DIMETHYLGLYCINE,N-(ALKYL C10-C16)-N,N-DIMETHYLGLYCINE BETAINE 4-Hydroxy-D-(-)-2-phenylglycine TRIETHYLENETETRAMINE-N,N,N',N'',N''',N'''-HEXAACETIC ACID N-Methyliminodiacetic acid N-BENZYLIMINODIACETIC ACID ETHYLENEDIAMINE-N,N'-DIACETIC-N,N'-DIPROPIONIC ACID 1,3-DIAMINO-2-PROPANOL-N,N,N',N'-TETRAACETIC ACID Z-L-PROLINE Thymolphthalein Complexone Creatine 1,2-Diaminopropane-N,N,N',N'-tetraacetic acid 2-OXO-1-PYRROLIDINEACETIC ACID METHYL ESTER N,N-Dimethylglycine Sarcosine Ethyl 2-(Chlorosulfonyl)acetate 4-Aminophenylacetic acid
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar
- Company Name:TAIYUAN RHF CO.,LTD.
- Tel:+86 351 7031519
- Company Name:TCI (Shanghai) Development Co., Ltd.
- Tel:021-67121386 / 800-988-0390