ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Flavors and fragrances > Synthetic fragrances > Carboxylic acids and esters > Aromatic carboxylic acid ester > AMYL FORMATE
AMYL FORMATE Chemical Properties
- Melting point:-73.5℃
- Boiling point:132 °C (lit.)
- Density 0.884 g/mL at 25 °C (lit.)
- vapor pressure 70 hPa (50 °C)
- FEMA 2068 | AMYL FORMATE
- refractive index n
- Flash point:83 °F
- storage temp. Store below +30°C.
- explosive limit1.7-10%(V)
- Water Solubility 2.904g/L(22 ºC)
- JECFA Number119
- CAS DataBase Reference638-49-3(CAS DataBase Reference)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemFormic acid, pentyl ester (638-49-3)
AMYL FORMATE Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical PropertiesColorless liquid composed of a mixture of isomeric amyl formates with isoamyl formate in predominance. Plum-like odor. Less odoriferous and more active solvent than amyl acetate. It also has both a lower boiling point and a higher rate of evaporation. Miscible with oils, hydrocarbons, alcohols, ketones; slightly soluble in water.
- Chemical PropertiesAmyl formate has a fruit-like aroma
- OccurrenceIdentified in apple, strawberry, tomato, fried cured pork, cognac, honey and Pyrus malus
- UsesSolvent for cellulose esters, resins; solvent mixtures; films and coatings; perfume for leather; flavoring.
- PreparationFrom n-amyl alcohol and formic acid in the presence of H2SO4
- General DescriptionA clear colorless liquid with a plum-like odor. Flash point 79°F. Less dense than water and insoluble in water. Vapors are heavier than air.
- Air & Water ReactionsHighly flammable. Insoluble in water.
- Reactivity ProfileAMYL FORMATE is an ester. Esters react with acids to liberate heat along with alcohols and acids. Strong oxidizing acids may cause a vigorous reaction that is sufficiently exothermic to ignite the reaction products. Heat is also generated by the interaction of esters with caustic solutions. Flammable hydrogen is generated by mixing esters with alkali metals and hydrides.
- HazardFlammable, dangerous fire risk. Toxic by ingestion and inhalation.
- Health HazardMay cause toxic effects if inhaled or absorbed through skin. Inhalation or contact with material may irritate or burn skin and eyes. Fire will produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases. Vapors may cause dizziness or suffocation. Runoff from fire control or dilution water may cause pollution.
- Fire HazardHIGHLY FLAMMABLE: Will be easily ignited by heat, sparks or flames. Vapors may form explosive mixtures with air. Vapors may travel to source of ignition and flash back. Most vapors are heavier than air. They will spread along ground and collect in low or confined areas (sewers, basements, tanks). Vapor explosion hazard indoors, outdoors or in sewers. Runoff to sewer may create fire or explosion hazard. Containers may explode when heated. Many liquids are lighter than water.
- Safety ProfileVery low toxicity by several routes. A skin irritant. See also ESTERS. Dangerously flammable; reacts vigorously with heat, flame, oxidizing materials. To fight fire, use foam, Co2, dry chemical.
AMYL FORMATE Preparation Products And Raw materials
N-AMYL FORMATE, (FORMIC ACID N-AMYL ESTER) ISO-AMYL-FORMATE FCC 2-furoic acid amyl ester HEXYL CHLOROFORMATE (-)-DIHYDROCARVYL ACETATE Cholesteryl chloroformate Octyl gallate CHLOROFORMIC ACID N-OCTYL ESTER Cholesteryl oleyl carbonate Cholesteryl acetate (-)-CARVYL PROPIONATE Cortisone acetate CHOLESTERYL CHLOROACETATE L-CARVYL ACETATE Pregnenolone acetate ISOPULEGYL ACETATE Dodecyl gallate FEMA 2348
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Company Name:TCI (Shanghai) Development Co., Ltd.
- Tel:021-67121386 / 800-988-0390
- Company Name:Energy Chemical
- Tel:400-005-6266 021-58432009-
- Company Name:Adamas Reagent, Ltd.