ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Chemical Reagents > Organic reagents > Fatty alcohols > Trimethylolpropane
Trimethylolpropane Chemical Properties
- Melting point:56-58 °C(lit.)
- Boiling point:159-161 °C2 mm Hg(lit.)
- Density 1.176
- vapor density 4.8 (vs air)
- vapor pressure <1 mm Hg ( 20 °C)
- refractive index 1.4850 (estimate)
- Flash point:172 °C
- storage temp. Store below +30°C.
- solubility H2O: 0.1 g/mL, clear
- form Flakes
- color White
- PH6.5 (100g/l, H2O, 20℃)(External MSDS)
- explosive limit2-11.8%(V)
- Water Solubility soluble
- BRN 1698309
- CAS DataBase Reference77-99-6(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry Reference1,3-Propanediol, 2-ethyl-2-(hydroxymethyl)-(77-99-6)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemTrimethylolpropane (77-99-6)
Trimethylolpropane Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical PropertiesTrimethylolpropane is a Colorless, hygroscopic crystals. Soluble in water and alcohol. Combustible.The three primary hydroxyl groups undergo the normal OH group reactions.
- UsesConditioning agent, manufacture of varnishes, alkyd resins, synthetic drying oils, urethane foams and coatings, silicone lubricant oils, lactone plasticizers, textile finishes, surfactants, epoxidation products.
- UsesLarge quantities of trimethylolpropane and its ethoxylated derivatives are used as precursors for urethanes and polyester resins. Another important field of application is in medium-oil and short-oil alkyd resins (→Alkyd Resins). The resulting lacquers are characterized by excellent resistance to alkali, detergents, and water, combined with outstanding impact resistance and flexibility, as well as excellent clearness and clearness retention.
Reaction products with fatty acids (C5 –C10) are components of synthetic lubricants. A strongly growing market will be the use of these blended polyol esters in chlorine-free, purely fluorocarbon based refrigerant systems. Powder and high-solids coatings represent a strong potential market for TMP, because it contributes to low viscosity. TMP acrylates are used as reactive diluents in UV-cured systems for inks and coatings, and TMP allyl ethers in unsaturated polyesters.
- Chemical SynthesisTrimethylolpropane is made by the base-catalyzed aldol addition of butyraldehyde with formaldehyde followed by Cannizzaro reaction of the intermediate 2,2-bis(hydroxymethyl) butanal with additional formaldehyde and at least a stoichiometric quantity of base.
- Purification MethodsCrystallise it from acetone and ether and it distils at high vacuum. [Beilstein 1 III 2349.]
Trimethylolpropane Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Fatty acids, C8-18-branched and linear, esters with trimethylolpropane Fatty acids, coco, mixed esters with heptanoic acid and trimethylolpropane Hexaglycerol trimethacrylate 2-ethyl-2-[[(1-oxooleyl)oxy]methyl]-1,3-propanediyl dioleate Trimethylolpropane Propane CHLOROETHANE Diethyl ether Ethyl cellulose Ethyl acetate Ethyl acrylate Ethylparaben Ethylbenzene 1,1,1-Tris(hydroxymethyl)ethane Trihydroxymethylpropyl trioleate Di(trimethylol propane) TRIMETHYLOLPROPANE Tris Base
- Company Name:Shandong Kaimike Environmental Protection Technology Co., Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:Creasyn Finechem(Tianjin) Co., Ltd.
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar