ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Flavors and fragrances > Synthetic fragrances > Carboxylic acids and esters > Aromatic carboxylic acid ester > Methyl phenylacetate
Methyl phenylacetate Chemical Properties
- Melting point:107-115 °C
- Boiling point:218 °C(lit.)
- Density 1.066 g/mL at 20 °C(lit.)
- FEMA 2733 | METHYL PHENYLACETATE
- refractive index n
- Flash point:195 °F
- storage temp. Store below +30°C.
- form neat
- Water Solubility Miscible with water.
- JECFA Number1008
- Merck 14,7268
- BRN 878795
- Stability:Stable. Combustible. Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents, strong bases.
- CAS DataBase Reference101-41-7(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferenceBenzeneacetic acid, methyl ester(101-41-7)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemMethyl phenylacetate (101-41-7)
Methyl phenylacetate Usage And Synthesis
- DescriptionMethyl phenylacetate belongs to an ester compound form between the methanol and phenylacetate. It chemical formula is C6H5CH2COOCH3. It is generally found in brandy, capsicum, honey, pepper, some wine, coca and coca products. It is mainly used as a flavouring agent, and is also supplemented into perfumes to enhance honey scents. It is also applied for the partition coefficient measurement experiments. It can also be used as the precursor for the manufacture of synthetic perfumes. In addition, as an acylating agent, it can participate in the enantioselective acylation reaction of beta-lactam intermediate catalyzed by the penicillin G amidase.
- DescriptionMethyl phenyl acetate is an organic compound that is the ester formed from methanol and phenyl acetic acid, with the structural formula C6H5CH2COOCH3. It is a clear colorless liquid that is only slightly soluble in water, but very soluble in most organic solvents.
Methyl phenyl acetate has a strong odor similar to honey. The odor is so strong that recommended smelling is of a solution with 10% or less methyl phenyl acetate. This compound also naturally occurs in brandy, capsicum, coffee, honey, pepper and some wine.
Methyl phenyl acetate is used in the flavor industry and in perfumes to impart honey scents.
- Chemical PropertiesMethyl phenylacetate has an intense odor suggestive of honey and jasmine with a sweet, honey-like flavor. May be prepared by methanolic esterification of the corresponding acid or nitrile; by reacting HCL over a solution of benzyl nitrile in methanol.
- Chemical PropertiesMethyl phenylacetate has an intense odor suggestive of honey and jasmine. It has a sweet, honey-like flavor.
- Chemical Propertiescolourless liquid
- OccurrenceReported found in cocoa, coffee, strawberry, pineapple, pepper, hop oil, cognac, peanut, honey, starfruit, Bourbon vanilla, mountain papaya, roasted chicory root and rooibus tea (Aspalathus linearis).
- UsesPerfumery, flavors for tobacco, flavoring.
- PreparationBy methanolic esterification of the corresponding acid or nitrile; by reacting HCl over a solution of benzyl nitrile in methanol
- Aroma threshold valuesDetection: 25 ppb
- Taste threshold valuesTaste characteristics at 30 ppm: floral, fruity, honey, spice, waxy and sweet
- Synthesis Reference(s)Journal of the American Chemical Society, 93, p. 4919, 1971 DOI: 10.1021/ja00748a051
Tetrahedron Letters, 30, p. 2945, 1989 DOI: 10.1016/S0040-4039(00)99165-2
- Safety ProfileModerately toxic by ingestion and skin contact. A skin irritant. Combustible liquid. When heated to decomposition it emits acrid smoke and irritating fumes. See also ESTERS.
Methyl phenylacetate Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Raw materialsMethanolSulfuric acid BenzeneacetonitrilePhenylacetic acidMetaclazepam
- Preparation Products2-PHENYLMALONAMIDETROPYL A ORMULPHENYLACETATEFluoxastrobinMETHYL ALPHA-BROMOPHENYLACETATE8-isopropyl-8-azabicyclo[3.2.1]oct-3-yl endo-(±)-formylphenylacetateTropic acidN-ISOPROPYLNORTROPINYL A HYDROXYMETHYL)PHENYLACETATEA-(HYDROXYMETHYL)BENZENACETIC ACID METHYL ESTERMethyl -formylphenylacetate
- Methyl naphthalene-1-acetate ETHYL MANDELATE ETHYL PHENYLCYANOACETATE Methyl 4-hydroxyphenylacetate Methyl phenylacetate Parathion-methyl Methyl p-tert-butylphenylacetate Methyl phenoxyacetate METSULFURON METHYL Methyl cyanoacetate Kresoxim-methyl Methyl benzoylformate Phenylacetic acid Methyl bromide Methyl fluoroacetate Methyl acrylate Methyl isobutyrylacetate Methyl acetate
- Company Name:Kunshan hualuo chemical technology co. LTD Gold
- Company Name:Jinxiang Chemical (Danyang) Products Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:13913839793 025-86819862
- Company Name:Beijing Holiyang Chemical Co. Ltd. Gold
- Tel:13718199399 010-69380220-
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-