ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Flavors and fragrances > Synthetic fragrances > Carboxylic acids and esters > Aromatic carboxylic acid ester > Methyl phenylacetate
Methyl phenylacetate Chemical Properties
- Melting point:107-115 °C
- Boiling point:218 °C (lit.)
- Density 1.066 g/mL at 20 °C (lit.)
- FEMA 2733 | METHYL PHENYLACETATE
- refractive index n
- Flash point:195 °F
- storage temp. Store below +30°C.
- form neat
- Water Solubility Miscible with water.
- JECFA Number1008
- Merck 14,7268
- BRN 878795
- Stability:Stable. Combustible. Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents, strong bases.
- CAS DataBase Reference101-41-7(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferenceBenzeneacetic acid, methyl ester(101-41-7)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemMethyl phenylacetate (101-41-7)
- Hazard Codes Xn
- Risk Statements 21-R21
- Safety Statements 23-24/25
- WGK Germany 2
- RTECS AJ3175000
- TSCA Yes
- HS Code 29163500
- Hazardous Substances Data101-41-7(Hazardous Substances Data)
- ToxicityThe acute oral LD50 in rats was reported as 2.55 g/kg (1.67-3.43 g/kg) and the acute dermal LD50 in rabbits as 2.4 g/kg (0.15-4.7 g/kg) (Moreno, 1974).
Methyl phenylacetate Usage And Synthesis
- UsesMethyl Phenylacetate is used as a reagent in the synthesis of various organic reactions, one of which is the synthesis of Vulpinic Acid; a lichen metabolite with anti-inflammatory properties.
- DescriptionMethyl phenylacetate belongs to an ester compound form between the methanol and phenylacetate. It chemical formula is C6H5CH2COOCH3. It is generally found in brandy, capsicum, honey, pepper, some wine, coca and coca products. It is mainly used as a flavouring agent, and is also supplemented into perfumes to enhance honey scents. It is also applied for the partition coefficient measurement experiments. It can also be used as the precursor for the manufacture of synthetic perfumes. In addition, as an acylating agent, it can participate in the enantioselective acylation reaction of beta-lactam intermediate catalyzed by the penicillin G amidase.
- DescriptionMethyl phenyl acetate is an organic compound that is the ester formed from methanol and phenyl acetic acid, with the structural formula C6H5CH2COOCH3. It is a clear colorless liquid that is only slightly soluble in water, but very soluble in most organic solvents.
Methyl phenyl acetate has a strong odor similar to honey. The odor is so strong that recommended smelling is of a solution with 10% or less methyl phenyl acetate. This compound also naturally occurs in brandy, capsicum, coffee, honey, pepper and some wine.
Methyl phenyl acetate is used in the flavor industry and in perfumes to impart honey scents.
- Chemical PropertiesMethyl phenylacetate has an intense odor suggestive of honey and jasmine with a sweet, honey-like flavor. May be prepared by methanolic esterification of the corresponding acid or nitrile; by reacting HCL over a solution of benzyl nitrile in methanol.
- Chemical PropertiesMethyl phenylacetate has an intense odor suggestive of honey and jasmine. It has a sweet, honey-like flavor.
- Chemical Propertiescolourless liquid
- OccurrenceReported found in cocoa, coffee, strawberry, pineapple, pepper, hop oil, cognac, peanut, honey, starfruit, Bourbon vanilla, mountain papaya, roasted chicory root and rooibus tea (Aspalathus linearis).
- UsesPerfumery, flavors for tobacco, flavoring.
- UsesMethyl phenylacetate is utilized for partition coefficient measurement experiments. It is mainly used in the flavor industry and in perfumes to impart honey scents. Further, it acts as a precursor to prepare synthetic perfumes. It acts as an acylating agent and involved in the enantioselective acylation of beta-lactam intermediate using penicillin G amidase.
- PreparationBy methanolic esterification of the corresponding acid or nitrile; by reacting HCl over a solution of benzyl nitrile in methanol
- Aroma threshold valuesDetection: 25 ppb
- Taste threshold valuesTaste characteristics at 30 ppm: floral, fruity, honey, spice, waxy and sweet
- Synthesis Reference(s)Journal of the American Chemical Society, 93, p. 4919, 1971 DOI: 10.1021/ja00748a051
Tetrahedron Letters, 30, p. 2945, 1989 DOI: 10.1016/S0040-4039(00)99165-2
- Biochem/physiol ActionsMethyl phenylacetate undergoes decomposition on photolysis in methanol. Methyl phenylacetate acts as acylating agent and causes the enantioselective acylation of beta-lactam intermediate using penicillin G amidase. Methyl phenylacetate is the starting material in manufacture of synthetic perfumes.
- Safety ProfileModerately toxic by ingestion and skin contact. A skin irritant. Combustible liquid. When heated to decomposition it emits acrid smoke and irritating fumes. See also ESTERS.
Methyl phenylacetate Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Raw materialsMethanolSulfuric acid BenzeneacetonitrilePhenylacetic acidMetaclazepam
- Preparation Products2-PHENYLMALONAMIDETROPYL A ORMULPHENYLACETATEFluoxastrobinMETHYL ALPHA-BROMOPHENYLACETATE8-isopropyl-8-azabicyclo[3.2.1]oct-3-yl endo-(±)-formylphenylacetateTropic acidN-ISOPROPYLNORTROPINYL A HYDROXYMETHYL)PHENYLACETATEA-(HYDROXYMETHYL)BENZENACETIC ACID METHYL ESTERMethyl -formylphenylacetate
Methyl isobutyrylacetate Methyl benzoylformate Methyl phenoxyacetate Methyl p-tert-butylphenylacetate Parathion-methyl Methyl phenylacetate Methyl 4-hydroxyphenylacetate ETHYL PHENYLCYANOACETATE ETHYL MANDELATE Methyl naphthalene-1-acetate Methyl benzilate Methyl DL-mandelate Methyl (tetrahydrofuryl)methyl phenylacetate H-D-PHG-OME HCL METHYL 3-METHOXYPHENYLACETATE Methyl cyclopentylphenylglycolate METHYL 4-FLUOROBENZOYLACETATE
- Company Name:Kunshan hualuo chemical technology co. LTD Gold
- Company Name:Jinxiang Chemical (Danyang) Products Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:13913839793 025-86819862
- Company Name:Beijing Holiyang Chemical Co. Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:+86-18621169078 +86-021-61259100