ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Inorganic chemistry > Oxides and peroxides > non-metals oxides and peroxides > Silica gel
Silica gel Chemical Properties
- Melting point:1610°C
- Boiling point:2230℃
- Density 2.6
- Flash point:23°C
- storage temp. 2-8°C
- form powder or granules
- color blue
- Specific Gravity0.88g/ml
- PH~6.8 (10% in aq. suspension)
- PH RangeAbout 7.0
- Water Solubility Insoluble in water
- Hydrolytic Sensitivity6: forms irreversible hydrate
- Merck 14,8493
- CAS DataBase Reference112926-00-8
- EPA Substance Registry SystemSilica gel, pptd., cryst.-free (112926-00-8)
- Hazard Codes Xi,T,N,Xn
- Risk Statements 20-37-42/43-49-36/37-48/20-51/53-68-50/53-41-22-60
- Safety Statements 22-24/25-45-36/37-53-26-36-61-60-39
- RIDADR 1993
- WGK Germany 2
- RTECS VV7315000
- F 3
- Hazard Note Harmful/Irritant
- TSCA Yes
- Language:EnglishProvider:Silica gel
Silica gel Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical Propertieswhite to off-white powder
- Chemical PropertiesAmorphous silica, the noncrystalline form of SiO2, is a transparent to gray, odorless, amorphous powder
- UsesSilica gel was used on glass plates for preparative TLC and on aluminium sheets for analytical TLC. Silica gel was used in vacuum chromatography and TLC. Silica gel was used in column chromatography.
- DefinitionA gel made by coagulating sodium silicate sol. The gel is dried by heatheating and used as a catalyst support and as a drying agent. The silica gel used in desiccators and in packaging to remove moisture is often colored with a cobalt salt to indicate whether it is still active (blue=dry; pink=moist).
- DefinitionA rigid gel made by coagulatinga sol of sodium silicate andheating to drive off water. It is usedas a support for catalysts and also asa drying agent because it readily absorbsmoisture from the air. The gelitself is colourless but, when used indesiccators, etc., a blue cobalt salt isadded. As moisture is taken up, thesalt turns pink, indicating that thegel needs to be regenerated (by heating).
- Agricultural UsesA hard granular hygroscopic form of hydrated silica is called silica gel. It is made by heating a coagulated sol of sodium silicate. It is used as a catalyst and a desiccant.
- Potential ExposureAmorphous fumed silica is used as a mineral, natural or synthetic fiber. A potential danger to those involved in the production and handling of fumed silica for paint pigments or catalysts. Diatomaceous earth is used in clarifying liquids, in manufacture of fire brick and heat insulators; used as a filtering agent; as a filler in construction materials; pesticides, paints, and varnishes. A potential danger to those involved in mining of diatomaceous earth or fabrication of products there from.
- Purification MethodsBefore use as a drying agent, silica gel is heated in an oven, then cooled in a desiccator. Conditions in the literature range from heating at 110o for 15hours to 250o for 2-3hours. Silica gel has been purified by washing with hot acid (in one case successively with aqua regia, conc HNO3, then conc HCl; in another case it was digested overnight with hot conc H2SO4), followed by exhaustive washing with distilled water (one week in a Soxhlet apparatus has also been used), and prolonged oven drying. Alternatively, silica gel has been extracted with acetone until all soluble material was removed, then dried in a current of air, washed with distilled water and oven dried. Silica gel has also been washed successively with water, M HCl, water, and acetone, then activated at 110o for 15hours. Silicon monoxide [10097 -28 -6] M 44.1, m > 1700o, d 4 2.18. Purify the monoxide by sublimation in a porcelain tube in a furnace at 1250o (4hours) in a high vacuum (10-4mm) in a stream of N2. It is obtained as brownish black scales. [Schenk in Handbook of Preparative Inorganic Chemistry (Ed. Brauer) Academic Press Vol I p 696 1963.]
- IncompatibilitiesSilica, amorphous is a noncombustible solid. Generally unreactive chemically. Incompatible with fluorine, oxygen difluoride, chlorine trifluoride. Soluble in molten alkalis and reacts with most metallic oxides at high temperature.
- Waste DisposalSanitary landfill.
Silica gel Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Preparation Products(2-(TRIFLUOROMETHYL)PYRIMIDIN-5-YL)METHANAMINE3-Nitroisonicotinic acidDodecanamineSEMOTIADIL2-(TRIFLUOROMETHYL)PYRIMIDIN-5-AMINE4-ISOCYANOBENZOPHENONE(2-(TRIFLUOROMETHYL)PYRIMIDIN-5-YL)METHANOL2'-BENZYLOXYACETOPHENONE2-(TRIFLUOROMETHYL)PYRIMIDINE-5-CARBOXAMIDE2-(TRIFLUOROMETHYL)PYRIMIDINE-5-CARBONYL CHLORIDE4-DIMETHYLAMINOBUTYLAMINE4-(DIETHYLAMINO)BUTYLAMINE3-Methyl-4-(methylthio)phenolLamivudine[2-(17-ethoxycarbonyloxy-11-hydroxy-10,13-dimethyl-3-oxo-7,8,9,11,12,14,15,16-octahydro-6H-cyclopenta[a]phenanthren-17-yl)-2-oxo-ethyl] propanoateCarbon tetrafluoride BUCILLAMINE2-(TRIFLUOROMETHYL)PYRIMIDINE-5-CARBOXYLIC ACIDETHYL 2-(TRIFLUOROMETHYL)PYRIMIDINE-5-CARBOXYLATE4-Amino-2-chloropyrimidine2-MethylbutaneVINYL FLUORIDEPyribenzoximTacalcitol1-(2-Methoxyphenyl)piperazine2-(Methylamino)pyridineCladribineMontelukastDecylamineCidofovirSertaconazole nitrateLanoconazoleUbidecarenoneBis(pyridine)iodonium tetrafluoroboratePirarubicinPaclitaxelNaphthalene oxidation catalystnitrobenzene hydrogenation catalyst for making anilineFNG silica gelsilver nickel catalyst
- Raw materialsCobalt chlorideSilica gel,microporous roundnessPoly(ethylene glycol) dimethacrylatesilica gel fine-pored lumpSILICA
- Company Name:Qingdao xinlida silicone co., ltd Gold
- Company Name:Kingfirst Chemical (Nanjing) Co.,Ltd Gold
- Tel:+86-025-84522992 84524602 13805186390
- Company Name:Wuhan jiyesheng Chemical Co., Ltd Gold
- Company Name:Shanghai Boyle Chemical Co., Ltd.
- Tel:Mr Qiu:021-50182298(Demestic market) Miss Xu：021-50180596（Abroad market）
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-