Acetazolamide Chemical Properties
- Melting point:256-261°C
- Density 1.610 (estimate)
- refractive index 1.6270 (estimate)
- storage temp. Refrigerator
- solubility Soluble in NH4OH (50 mg/mL), DMSO, Methanol and slightly soluble in Ethanol.
- pka7.2(at 25℃)
- form solid
- Water Solubility <0.1 g/100 mL at 22 ºC
- Merck 14,53
- BRN 212994
- CAS DataBase Reference59-66-5(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry Reference2-Acetylamino-1,3,4-thiadiazole-5-sulfonamide(59-66-5)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemAcetazolamide (59-66-5)
Acetazolamide Usage And Synthesis
- DescriptionAcetazolamide is a drug used for the treatment of glaucoma,epilepsy,altitude sickness,periodic paralysis, chronic macular edema, idiopathic intracranial hypertension, andheart failure. It can also been used for the treatment of altitude sickness, increased intracranial pressure and neuromuscular disorders. In addition, it also has significant effect of diuretic. It belongs to the carbonic anhydrase inhibitorfamilies of medication. It works by decreasing the amount ofhydrogen ionsandbicarbonatein the body.
- ReferencesForwand, S. A., et al. "Effect of acetazolamide on acute mountain sickness." New England Journal of Medicine279.16(1968):839.
Cox, S. N., E. Hay, and A. C. Bird. "Treatment of chronic macular edema with acetazolamide." Archives of Ophthalmology 106.9(1988):1190.
Supuran, Claudiu T. "Acetazolamide for the treatment of idiopathic intracranial hypertension." Expert Review of Neurotherapeutics15.8(2015):851.
Kassamali, R, and D. A. Sica. "Acetazolamide: a forgotten diuretic agent." Cardiology in Review 19.6(2011):276.
Lucas, M., and M. Brown. "Acetazolamide Reduces Hospital Admissions and Length of Stay in Refractory Heart Failure Patients." Heart Lung & Circulation 20.Suppl 2(2011):S6-S6.
- Chemical PropertiesWhite Solid
- Usescarbonic anhydrase inhibitor, diuretic, antiglaucoma
- brand nameDiamox (Duramed).
- General DescriptionWhite to yellowish-white fine crystalline powder. No odor or taste.
- Air & Water ReactionsInsoluble in water.
- Reactivity ProfileA weak acid and a diazo derivative. Azo, diazo, azido compounds can detonate. This applies in particular to organic azides that have been sensitized by the addition of metal salts or strong acids. Toxic gases are formed by mixing materials of this class with acids, aldehydes, amides, carbamates, cyanides, inorganic fluorides, halogenated organics, isocyanates, ketones, metals, nitrides, peroxides, phenols, epoxides, acyl halides, and strong oxidizing or reducing agents. Flammable gases are formed by mixing materials in this group with alkali metals. Explosive combination can occur with strong oxidizing agents, metal salts, peroxides, and sulfides.
- Fire HazardFlash point data for Acetazolamide are not available; however, Acetazolamide is probably combustible.
- Safety ProfilePoison by subcutaneous and intravenous routes. Moderately toxic by intraperitoneal route. Human systemic effects by ingestion: dyspnea. An experimental teratogen by many routes. Other experimental reproductive effects. When heated to decomposition it emits very toxic fumes of NOx, and SOx,. A carbonic anhydrase inhibitor and dmretic used to treat glaucoma.
- Veterinary Drugs and TreatmentsAcetazolamide has been used principally in veterinary medicine
for its effects on aqueous
humor production in the treatment of
glaucoma, metabolic alkalosis, and for its diuretic action. It may
be useful as an adjunctive treatment for syringomyelia in dogs.
Acetazolamide’s use in small animals is complicated by a relatively
high occurrence of adverse effects.
In horses, acetazolamide is used as an adjunctive treatment for hyperkalemic periodic paralysis (HYPP).
In humans, the drug has been used as adjunctive therapy for epilepsy and for acute high-altitude sickness.
- Purification MethodsIt is recrystallised from water. [Roblin & Clapp J Am Chem Soc 72 4890 1950, Beilstein 27 III/IV 8219.]
Acetazolamide Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Acyclovir ACETAZOLAMIDE-D3 Acetazolamide Eur ph.4 acetazolamide adipate ethyl ester Acetazolamide methyl derivative ACICLOVIR IMPURITY A DEXTRANBOUND ACETAZOLAMIDE Acetazolamide for Injection USP Propazolamide BODIPY(R) 558/568 ACETAZOLAMIDE 4-[[5-(AMINOSULFONYL)-1,3,4-THIADIAZOL-2-YL]AMINO]-4-OXO-BUTANOIC ACID ACETAZOLAMIDE SODIUM Acetazolamide N-Acetylsulfanilyl chloride 2,1,3-Benzothiadiazole 2-Mercapto-5-methyl-1,3,4-thiadiazole Sulfanilamide thiadiazole
- Company Name:Nanjing Gold Pharmaceutical Technology Co. Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:INTATRADE GmbH
- Tel:+49 3493/605464
- Company Name:3B Pharmachem (Wuhan) International Co.,Ltd.
- Tel:18930552037 821-50328103-801
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar
- Nov 11，2019