ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Chemical Reagents > Organic reagents > Esters > Heptyl ester compound > Heptyl 4-hydroxybenzoate
Heptyl 4-hydroxybenzoate Chemical Properties
- Melting point:46-51 °C
- Boiling point:338.77°C (rough estimate)
- Density 1.0717 (rough estimate)
- refractive index 1.5800 (estimate)
- Water Solubility Soluble in alcohol, phenoxyethanol, propylene glycol. Insoluble in water.
- CAS DataBase Reference1085-12-7(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferenceBenzoic acid, 4-hydroxy-, n-heptyl ester(1085-12-7)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemBenzoic acid, 4-hydroxy-, heptyl ester (1085-12-7)
Heptyl 4-hydroxybenzoate Usage And Synthesis
- DescriptionHesperidin is one of a large group of bio-flavonoids isolated from
citrus fruits. Flavonoids comprise a group of naturally occurring
compounds which are among the most ubiquitous in the plant
kingdom. The basic flavone structure consists of 1,4-benzopyrone
with a phenyl substitution in the 2-position. Flavonoids differ in
the number and position of substitutions on the aromatic rings and
in the extent and character of oxidation in the pryone portion of
the molecule. Hydroxyl groups enable flavonoids to combine with
sugars to form glycosides, and it is in this form that the flavonoids
are usually found in nature. Glucose is the most common prosthetic
group, although other sugars, as well as glucuronic and galacturonic
acids, have been identified. Hesperetin is the aglycone
remaining following hydrolysis from the prosthetic group.
Hesperidin complex is a crude hesperidin preparation obtained by extraction of the albedo of orange peel with calcium hydroxide solution. On acidification with hydrochloric acid to pH about 4.5, hesperidin precipitates as a crystalline material along with other co-precipitated flavonoids. The precipitate is washed to remove non-flavonoid ballast, and then spray dried. Average hesperidin content is 72%; naringenin-7-rutinoside, 4.4%; isosakuranetin- 7-rutinoside, 4.2%; and less than 1% naringenin-7-rutinoside-4’- glucoside, eriocitrin, sinensetin, bobeletin, tangeretin, and several unidentified polymethoxylated flavones. It contains no rutin. The powdered precipitate is nonhygroscopic; its weight loss on drying is 2-5%; sulfated ash, 2-4%; and methoxyl content, 3.3-3.7%.
Purified hesperidin is prepared from hesperidin complex by dissolving the crystals in calcium hydroxide solution and precipitating by acidification with hydrochloric acid. More than one cycle of dissolution and precipitation may be needed to achieve the minimum hesperidin content of 80% specified for the purified product. Most purified product is stated to have a hesperidin content of 90%.
Hesperidin is practically tasteless. Presumably through its action as an antioxidant, hesperidin has been reported to delay flavor deterioration of milk-based beverages, thereby extending shelf life by 6-12 months. Hesperidin also is used as a reagent in the refining and reclaiming of lead and zinc, and as a raw material in the production of the dihydrochalcone of neohesperidin, a nonnutritive sweetener.
- Chemical Propertiesslightly yellow to cream crystalline powder
- UsesFood additive.
- UsesHeptyl 4-hydroxybenzoate is a preservative and antimicrobial agent. It is very slightly soluble in water. It may be used in fermented malt beverages to inhibit microbial spoilage and is permitted in beer. It is also termed n-heptyl-para-hydroxybenzoate.
Heptyl 4-hydroxybenzoate Preparation Products And Raw materials
- (-)-ISORESERPINE DECYL GALLATE SYROSINGOPINE Octyl gallate Hexadecyl 3,4,5-trihydroxybenzoate Reserpine 8-(DIETHYLAMINO)OCTYL 3,4,5-TRIMETHOXYBENZOATE HYDROCHLORIDE Dodecyl 4-hydroxybenzoate Heptyl 4-hydroxybenzoate Benzyl benzoate 2'-Hydroxy-3-phenylpropiophenone Butylparaben 3-Hydroxybenzoic acid Salicylic acid 4-Hydroxybenzoic acid Isopropylparaben Methyl salicylate Methylparaben
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar
- Company Name:TCI (Shanghai) Development Co., Ltd.
- Tel:021-67121386 / 800-988-0390
- Company Name:Energy Chemical
- Tel:400-005-6266 021-58432009
- Company Name:Adamas Reagent, Ltd.