ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Chemical Reagents > Organic reagents > Esters > Butyl Ester compounds > Butylparaben
Basic information Chemical properties Production method Uses Toxicity Content analysis Usage limit Hazards & Safety Information Safety Related Supplier
Butylparaben Chemical Properties
- Melting point:67-70 °C(lit.)
- Boiling point:156-157 °C3.5 mm Hg(lit.)
- Density 1.28
- FEMA 2203 | BUTYL P-HYDROXY BENZOATE
- refractive index 1.5115 (estimate)
- Flash point:181℃
- storage temp. 0-6°C
- solubility Soluble in DMSO, ethyl acetate, methanol.
- form Crystalline Powder
- pkapKa 8.5 (Uncertain)
- color White to almost white
- Water Solubility <0.1 g/100 mL at 17 ºC
- JECFA Number870
- Merck 14,1584
- BRN 1103741
- Stability:Stable. Combustible. Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents, strong alkalies.
- CAS DataBase Reference94-26-8(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferenceP-hydroxybenzoic acid, n-butyl ester(94-26-8)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemButylparaben (94-26-8)
Butylparaben Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical propertiesIt appears as white crystal powder, having slightly special odor. It is slightly soluble in water, being soluble in alcohol, ether and chloroform.
- Production methodIt is derived from the esterification between p-hydroxybenzoic acid and butanol. Butanol and p-hydroxybenzoic acid are heated together for being dissolved, slowly added dropwise of sulfuric acid, continue the refluxing for 8h. After cooling, add 4% sodium carbonate solution, separate the water layer, steam out the butanol, let it cool, filter to obtain the crude product, and then carry out ethanol recrystallization (solubility in ethanol: 200g/100ml).
Take sulfuric acid as a catalyst; derive it from the reaction between p-hydroxybenzoic acid and butanol.
- Uses1. Butylparaben can be used for the antibacterial and anticorrosion of drugs, cosmetics and food.
2. As a kind of preservative; Because of the low solubility in water, Butylparaben is usually prepared into ethanol solution, acetic acid solution or sodium hydroxide solution. To improve the solubility, several different esters are often used. For example, three parts of isobutyl, four parts of isopropyl and three parts of butyl are formulated as a co-soluble mixture and the mixture is used as an oil-in-water emulsifier. This preparation is easy to use in soy sauce and other foods, the solubility of butyl ester alone can be increased by 2 to 3 times. For soy sauce, 5% sodium hydroxide solution can be added to the goods of 20% to 25%, and then slowly added to the sauce having been heated to about 80 ℃. Acetic acid solution or ester type emulsifier can also be used. The usage amount of anti-mold soy sauce is 0.05~0.10g/L. Vinegar can be used in acetic acid or sodium hydroxide solution. Soft drinks can be used in the solution of sodium hydroxide, but usually used in combination with benzoic acid and dehydroacetic acid.
3. Used as organic synthesis intermediates; the anti-corrosion additives of medicine, food, cosmetics, film and high-grade products; reagents. Being used as germicide preservative of food is Butylparaben's major application. In the p-hydroxybenzoic acid esters, it can give the strongest anti-corrosion bactericidal effect. Because of its poor water solubility, it is often used with other esters in combination.
4. For preservatives and disinfectants
- ToxicityADI is subject to postponed decision (FAO/WHO, 2001).
LD50: 16.0 g/kg (mouse, subcutaneous injection).
Mice subjecting to short-term toxicity test have gotten inhibited weight increase. There have been reports regarding to the acute dermatitis for human beings. In the p-hydroxybenzoic acid esters, this product gives the best anti-corrosion effect, but also the largest toxicity.
- Content analysis2g (accurate to 0.1mg) was taken and dried in silica gel for 5h before being transferred to the flask. Add 40 mL of 1mol/L of sodium hydroxide, flush flasks with water. Cover the surface of the dish and apply a small fire to boil 1h before cooling. Add 5 drops of bromothymol blue solution (TS-56), titrate the excess sodium hydroxide with 1 mol/L sulfuric acid, and make the color of the solution consistent with the buffer containing the same indicator (pH 6.5). Carry out a blank test at the same time and make the necessary calibration. 1ml/L sodium hydroxide per milliliter corresponds to the 194.2 mg of this product (C11H14O3).
- Usage limitJapan (1998, calculated on p-hydroxybenzoic acid; the data in parentheses is the amount converted into equivalent amount of this product, g/ kg), soy sauce 0.25 g/L (0.35 g/L), vinegar 0.1 g/L (0.14 g/L); Soft drinks and syrup: 0.1 (0.14); fruit sauce: 0.2 (0.28); fruits and vegetables 0.012 (0.016).
- Hazards & Safety InformationCategory :Toxic substances
Toxic classification: poisoning
Acute toxicity: Oral-mouse LD50: 13200 mg/kg; celiac-mouse LD50: 230 mg/kg
Stimulation Data: Skin-Guinea Pig 5%/48 hours Mild
Flammability and Hazardous characteristics: Thermal decomposition; pungent irritation Smoke
Storage and transportation characteristics: Treasury: ventilated, low temperature and dry
Fire extinguishing agent: water, dry powder, foam, carbon dioxide
- Chemical PropertiesButyl p-hydroxy benzoate has little or no odor.
- Chemical PropertiesWhite or almost white, crystalline powder or colourless crystals.
- Chemical PropertiesButylparaben occurs as colorless crystals or a white, crystalline, odorless or almost odorless, tasteless powder.
- UsesAn antimicrobial
- Usesantifungal, preservative
- Usespreservative in many creams, lotions, ointments and other cosmetics, foods (salad dressings, mayonnaise, spiced sauces, mustard, frozen dairy products, baked products), pharmaceutical preparations and dentifrices. It is active against molds, fungi and yeasts, but less active against bacteria. ICU.
- PreparationButyl paraben is prepared by esterifying p-hydroxybenzoic acid with butyl alcohol in the presence of an acid catalyst, such as sulfuric acid, and an excess of the specific alcohol.
- Production MethodsButylparaben is prepared by esterification of p-hydroxybenzoic acid with n-butanol.
- General DescriptionOdorless white crystals or crystalline powder. Tasteless, but numbs the tongue. Aqueous solutions slightly acidic to litmus.
- Air & Water ReactionsInsoluble in water.
- Reactivity ProfileButylparaben is incompatible with strong oxidizing agents and strong caustics.
- Fire HazardFlash point data for Butylparaben are not available; however, Butylparaben is probably combustible.
- Pharmaceutical ApplicationsButylparaben is widely used as an antimicrobial preservative in
cosmetics and pharmaceutical formulations.
It may be used either alone or in combination with other paraben esters or with other antimicrobial agents. In cosmetics, it is the fourth most frequently used preservative.
As a group, the parabens are effective over a wide pH range and have a broad spectrum of antimicrobial activity, although they are most effective against yeasts and molds.
Owing to the poor solubility of the parabens, paraben salts, particularly the sodium salt, are frequently used in formulations. However, this may raise the pH of poorly buffered formulations. See Methylparaben for further information.
- Contact allergensThis substance is one of the parabens family. Parabens are esters formed by p-hydroxybenzoic acid and an alcohol. They are largely used as biocides in cosmetics and toiletries, medicaments, or food. They have synergistic power with other biocides. Parabens can induce allergic contact dermatitis, mainly in chronic dermatitis and wounded skin.
- SafetyButylparaben and other parabens are widely used as antimicrobial
preservatives in cosmetics and oral and topical pharmaceutical
Systemically, no adverse reactions to parabens have been reported, although they have been associated with hypersensitivity reactions generally appearing as contact dematitis. Immediate reactions with urticaria and bronchospasm have occurred rarely. See Methylparaben for further information.
LD50 (mouse, IP): 0.23 g/kg
LD50 (mouse, oral): 13.2 g/kg
- storageAqueous butylparaben solutions at pH 3–6 can be sterilized by autoclaving, without decomposition. At pH 3–6, aqueous solutions are stable (less than 10% decomposition) for up to about 4 years at room temperature, while solutions at pH 8 or above are subject to rapid hydrolysis (10% or more after about 60 days at room temperature).
- IncompatibilitiesThe antimicrobial activity of butylparaben is considerably reduced
in the presence of nonionic surfactants as a result of micellization.
Absorption of butylparaben by plastics has not been reported but
appears probable given the behavior of other parabens. Some
pigments, e.g. ultramarine blue and yellow iron oxide, absorb
butylparaben and thus reduce its preservative properties.
Butylparaben is discolored in the presence of iron and is subject to hydrolysis by weak alkalis and strong acids.
- Regulatory StatusIncluded in the FDA Inactive Ingredients Database (injections; oral capsules, solutions, suspensions, syrups and tablets; rectal, and topical preparations). Included in nonparenteral medicines licensed in the UK. Included in the Canadian List of Acceptable Nonmedicinal Ingredients.
Butylparaben Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Ethylparaben Sodium propylparaben Methylparaben TRIS(TRIMETHYLSILYL) PHOSPHATE Cyhalofop-butyl Butyl acetate Pralmorelin Nonylphenol Methyl salicylate Butylparaben ETHYLENEDIAMINE TETRAKIS(PROPOXYLATE-BLOCK-ETHOXYLATE) TETROL Heptyl 4-hydroxybenzoate Tributyl phosphate Propylparaben 4-(Diethylamino)salicylaldehyde 2-Butoxyethanol Buprofezin Phenol
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Products Intro:Product Name:Butyl 4-hydroxybenzoate, 99%
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Products Intro:Product Name:Butyl 4-Hydroxybenzoate [for BiocheMical Research]
Purity:>99.0%(GC)(T) Package:5g;25g Remarks:B3771
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar
- Products Intro:Product Name:n-Butyl 4-hydroxybenzoate, 99+%
- Company Name:TCI (Shanghai) Development Co., Ltd.
- Tel:021-67121386 / 800-988-0390
- Products Intro:Product Name:Butyl 4-Hydroxybenzoate [for Biochemical Research]
Purity:99.0% GC&T Package:25G,5G
- Company Name:BeiJing Hwrk Chemicals Limted
- Tel:010-57411838 010-57411839-
- Products Intro:Product Name:Butyl 4-hydroxybenzoate
Purity:0.98 Package:100g Remarks:HWG55947b