Basic information Outline Solubility in water (g/100ml) Related reactions of the formula Toxcity Chemical properties Uses Production method Category Toxicity grading Acute toxicity Flammability hazard characteristics Storage characteristics Extinguishing agent Safety Related Supplier
Ammonium carbonate Chemical Properties
- Melting point:58 °C
- Boiling point:179.58°C (rough estimate)
- Density 1.5
- vapor density 2.7 (vs air)
- vapor pressure 760 mm Hg @ 600C
- refractive index 1.4616 (estimate)
- storage temp. Store at RT.
- solubility H2O: 0.1 g/mL at 25 °C, clear, colorless
- form Solid
- color White to yellow
- Odorstrong odor of NH3
- PH Range9
- Water Solubility SOLUBLE
- Sensitive Hygroscopic
- Merck 14,508
- BRN 3627235
- CAS DataBase Reference506-87-6(CAS DataBase Reference)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemAmmonium carbonate (506-87-6)
Ammonium carbonate Usage And Synthesis
- OutlineAmmonium carbonate is positive ammonium salt of carbonic acid normal salt, the formula is (NH4)2CO3. Pure product is colorless or white cubic crystal or powder, it has strong smell of ammonia. Industrial product is complex salt of ammonium bicarbonate and ammonium carbamate, it is white, flaky or small block of solid product crushed form. It is often with a molecular crystal water, it is hygroscopic, soluble in water, it can decompose in case of hot water. It is insoluble in ethanol and carbon disulfide. Ammonium carbonate can rapidly decompose into ammonia, carbon dioxide and water at 58℃. Ammonium carbonate can be obtained by ammonia introduces into solution of sodium carbonate with half times, the solution crystallizes at 30°C. It gradually loses ammonia to form ammonium bicarbonate in air.
- Solubility in water (g/100ml)The grams which dissolve per 100 ml of water:100g/20 ℃.
- Related reactions of the formulaAt room temperature for significant decomposition: (NH4) 2CO3 → 2NH3 + CO2 + H2O
At low temperature and a certain pressure, carbon dioxide and water with an excess of ammonia, ammonium carbonate can be obtained: 2NH3 + CO2 + H2O → (NH4) 2CO3
Ammonium sulfate and calcium carbonate suspension under heating to generate ammonium carbonate: (NH4) 2SO4 + CaCO3 → (NH4) 2CO3 + CaSO4
Urea in aqueous solution will gradually react with water to form ammonium carbonate: CO (NH2) 2 + 2H2O → (NH4) 2CO3
- ToxcityIf it splashes into the eye accidentally, rinse immediately with plenty of water. It has stimulating effect on the skin. It should pay attention to dust prevention and dust extraction, respiratory protection, skin protection.
- Chemical propertiesIt is matte orthorhombic crystalline powder. It has strong ammonia odor. It usually can not get anhydrous salt, industrial salt is actually a complex of ammonium bicarbonate and ammonium carbamate. The amount of ammonia is 31%, The amount of carbon dioxide is 56%. It is soluble in water, insoluble in ethanol, carbon disulfide, and concentrated ammonia. It is unstable in the air, it will gradually become ammonium bicarbonate and ammonium carbamate. When be dried at 58℃, it can easily decompose, release ammonia and carbon dioxide. Aqueous solution begins to decompose at 70℃. It is unstable for light and heat. It has slightly hygroscopic.
- UsesIt is used as raw material for baking powder, various ammonium salts, buffer agent, auxiliaries, fertilizer and analytical reagent. Edible ammonium carbonate is used as buffer, neutralizing agent, leavening agent, fermentation promoter (manufacture of wine).
It is used for fire fighting, detergents, and used in medicine, rubber, and other industrial fermentation.
The above information is edited by the chemicalbook of Wang Xiaodong.
- Production methodCarbonization method: Carbon dioxide, ammonia and steam synthesized directly sodium carbonate, it passes through the cooling chamber, uses water to direct cooling, and then it is refined to obtain ammonium carbonate products.
2NH3 + CO2 + H2O → (NH4) 2CO3
- CategoryToxic substances.
- Toxicity gradinghighly toxic.
- Acute toxicityIntravenous-Mouse LD50: 96 mg/kg; Intravenous-Dogs LDL0: 200 mg/kg.
- Flammability hazard characteristicsIt can produce toxic fumes of nitrogen oxides and ammonia at high temperature.
- Storage characteristicsTreasury ventilation low-temperature drying.
- Extinguishing agentDry powder, foam, sand, carbon dioxide, water mist.
- Chemical PropertiesAnunonium carbonate is a white water-soluble, volatile solid prepared by reaction of NH4OH and CO2 and crystallizing from dilute alcohol. Ammonium carbonate loses NH3,CO2, and H20 at ordinary temperatures, and rapidly at 58°C.
- Chemical PropertiesAmmonium carbonate is a colorless crystal or white lumpy powder with a strong ammonia odor. The odor specific gravity (gas)52.7; Threshold is ,5 ppm as ammonia gas.
- Physical propertiesColorless or translucent hard crystalline mass or white cubic crystals or powder; sharp taste; odor of ammonia; decomposes at 58°C; slow decomposition at ambient temperatures; readily dissolves in cold water; decomposes in hot water; insoluble in liquid ammonia, alcohol and carbon disulfide.
- UsesAmmonium Carbonate is a dough strengthener, a leavening agent, a ph control agent, and a texturizer. it is prepared by the sublima- tion of a mixture of ammonium sulfate and calcium carbonate, and occurs as a white powder or a hard, white translucent mass.
- UsesPharmaceutic aid (source of ammonia).
- PreparationAmmonium carbonate is obtained by passing carbon dioxide into aqueous ammonia solution in a column or tower. Ammonia, carbon dioxide and water vapor are distilled and the vapors condensed into a solid crystalline mass. It also may be prepared by subliming a mixture of ammonium sulfate and calcium carbonate.
- DefinitionA mixture of ammonium acid carbonate and ammo- nium carbamate.
- Definitionammonium carbonate: A colourlessor white crystalline solid,(NH4)2CO3, usually encountered asthe monohydrate. It is very soluble incold water. The compound decomposesslowly to give ammonia, water,and carbon dioxide. Commercial ‘ammoniumcarbonate’ is a double saltof ammonium hydrogencarbonateand ammonium aminomethanoate(carbamate), NH4HCO3.NH2COONH4.This material is manufactured byheating a mixture of ammoniumchloride and calcium carbonate andrecovering the product as a sublimedsolid. It readily releases ammoniaand is the basis of sal volatile. It isalso used in dyeing and wool preparationand in baking powders.
- General DescriptionA colorless crystalline solid or a white powder with a strong odor of ammonia. Noncombustible. The primary hazard is the threat to the environment. Immediate steps should be taken to limit spread to the environment. Used to make other ammonium compounds, in pharmaceuticals, in food processing.
- Air & Water ReactionsWater soluble.
- Reactivity ProfileAmmonium carbonate decomposes when heated to give gaseous ammonia and gaseous carbon dioxide. Reaction is non-explosvie. Causes decomposition of sodium hypochlorite within a few seconds [Mellor 2 Supp. 1:550 1956].
- HazardEvolves irritating fumes when heated.
- Health HazardInhalation causes irritation of nose and throat. Ingestion may cause gastric irritation. Contact with eyes or skin causes irritation.
- Agricultural UsesAmmonium carbonate, (NH4)2CO3, is an intermediate product formed during the synthesis of urea. Ammonium carbonate on decomposition yields urea and water.
- Safety ProfilePoison by subcutaneous and intravenous routes. When heated to decomposition it emits toxic fumes of NO, and NH3.
- Potential ExposureIt is used in dyeing, tanning, medicines, fire extinguishers; to make casein glue; ammonia salts; and baking powders. A laboratory reagent.
- ShippingUN3077 Environmentally hazardous substances, solid, n.o.s., Hazard class: 9; Labels: 9-Miscellaneous hazardous material, Technical Name Required.
- IncompatibilitiesAcids, acid salts; salts of iron and zinc, alkaloids, calomel and tartar emetic. Keep cool, below 38 C. Contact with inorganic acids may form CO2, heat, and dangerous spattering.
- Waste DisposalSlowly deposit in a large container of water. Add excess amounts of soda ash and let stand for 24 hours. Decant to another container, neutralize with hydrochloric acid, and drain with an excess of water. Ship to landfill.
Ammonium carbonate Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Preparation ProductsGlycineAcetamideBarium carbonateCARAMELStrontium carbonate QuinalphosBenzamideL-Valine4-AMINO-5-BROMO-2-METHYLPYRIDINEAmmonium sulfamate4-SULFAMOYLPHENYLBORONIC ACID, PINACOL ESTERmedium temperature Shift catalystsmedium(high)temperature Shift catalystsAmmonium L-tartrate3-Aminophthalhydrazide4-Bromobenzenesulfonamide2,5-Dimethyl-1H-pyrrole(S)-MEPHENYTOIN5,5-DimethylhydantoinCupferronL-GLUTAMIC ACID, MONOAMMONIUM SALT2-(Dimethylamino)-2-phenylbutyl 3,4,5-trimethoxybenzoate maleate
- Raw materialsAmmonium hydroxideAmmoniaCARBON DIOXIDEAmmonium bicarbonate
- BIS(HYDROXYBENZOTRIAZOLYL) CARBONATE SYROSINGOPINE 3,4-DICHLOROPHENYLGUANIDINE CARBONATE PHENYLGUANIDINE CARBONATE ZIRCONYL AMMONIUM CARBONATE 2-CHLOROPHENYLGUANIDINE CARBONATE Ammonium carbonate Sodium carbonate Lithium carbonate Sodium chloride Ethylene carbonate Calcium carbonate AMMONIUM Carbonate AMMONIUM CARBONATE 99. POLY(BISPHENOL A CARBONATE) Ammonium bicarbonate;acid ammonium carbonate;Ammonium acid carbonate;Ammonium hydrogen carbonate,AMMONIUM CARBONATE TS,AMMONIUM CARBONATE, ACIDIC 8-CHLOROADENOSINE-3',5'-CYCLIC MONOPHOSPHOROTHIOATE, RP-ISOMER SODIUM SALT
- Company Name:Shanghai guanghua technology co., LTD Gold
- Tel:13801626616 021-51098368-807
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar
- Company Name:Beijing dtftchem Technology Co., Ltd.
- Company Name:BeiJing Hwrk Chemicals Limted
- Tel:010-57411838 010-57411839-