ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > API > Nervous system drugs > Sedative and hypnotic > Potassium thiocyanate
Basic information Outline Solubility in water (g / 100ml) Reference quality standards Chemical properties Uses Production method Safety Related Supplier
Potassium thiocyanate Chemical Properties
- Melting point:173 °C(lit.)
- Boiling point:500°C
- Density 1.886
- vapor pressure <0.001 hPa (20 °C)
- Flash point:500°C
- storage temp. Store at RT.
- solubility H2O: 8 M at 20 °C, clear, colorless
- form Liquid
- color colorless or white
- Specific Gravity1.886
- PH5.3-8.7 (25℃, 50mg/mL in H2O)
- PH Range5.3 - 8.7 at 97.2 g/l at 25 °C
- Water Solubility 2170 g/L (20 ºC)
- Sensitive Hygroscopic
- Merck 14,7691
- BRN 3594799
- Stability:Stable. Incompatible with nitric acid, strong oxidizing agents, active halogen compounds.
- CAS DataBase Reference333-20-0(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferencePotassium thiocyanate(333-20-0)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemPotassium thiocyanate (333-20-0)
Potassium thiocyanate Usage And Synthesis
- OutlinePotassium thiocyanate, molecular formula is KSCN, it is also known as KSCN, English is Potassium Thiocyanate, it is colorless monoclinic crystal. The relative density is 1.886. Melting point is about 172.3 ℃. It is soluble in water and it can cool because of the absorption of heat, it is also soluble in alcohol (ethanol) and acetone. Crystalline hemihydrate (KSCN.0.5H2O) can be obtained at low temperature, it is steady at-29-6.8℃, and it can turn blue when be broiled at about 430℃, but it then re-becomes colorless when be colded. When be heated to 500℃, it can decompose. The blood red ferric thiocyanate complex ion FeSCN2 + (iron thiocyanate) can generate in case of Fe3 + (ferric), which is the sensitive method to test the Fe3 + ion, the method can eliminate the influence of all other known metal ions. And it can not react with ferrous salts. It is hygroscopic, and it should be sealed. It has low toxicity. But potassium cyanate is highly toxic substances, the country has limited its production.
- Solubility in water (g / 100ml)The grams which dissolved in per 100 ml of water at different temperatures (℃) :
177g/0 ℃; 198g/10 ℃; 224g/20 ℃; 255g/30 ℃; 289g/40 ℃
372g/60 ℃; 492g/80 ℃; 571g/90 ℃; 675g/100 ℃
- Reference quality standards
- Chemical propertiesIt is colorless monoclinic crystal. It is soluble in water, and it can cool because of the absorption of heat. It is also soluble in alcohol and acetone.
The above information is edited by the chemicalbook of Wang Xiaodong.
- UsesIt can be used in electroplating industry for stripping agent, it can also be used refrigerant. It can also be used in the dye industry, photographic industry, pesticides and steel analysis.
- Production methodThe mothod of ammonium thiocyanate transformation which is the pressurized synthesis reaction of carbon disulfide and ammonia can generate ammonium thiocyanate and the by-product is ammonium hydrosulfide, and then by desulfurization, ammonium hydrosulfide can evaporate and remove which is decomposed into hydrogen sulfide, when potassium carbonate solution is added into the temperature of 105℃ liquid, it can generates potassium thiocyanate. The reaction process will produce large amount of carbon dioxide and ammonia. Ammonia is recyclable, the reaction solution is filtered to remove insoluble material, and then reduction vaporization is proceeded, and then cooling and crystallization, centrifugal separation is proceeded to obtain industrial potassium thiocyanate.
CS2 + 3NH3 → NH4SCN + NH4HS
NH4HS → NH3 ↑ + H2S ↑
2NH4SCN + K2CO3 → 2KSCN + (NH4) 2CO3
(NH4) 2CO3 → 2NH3 ↑ + CO2 ↑ + H2O
- Chemical PropertiesPotassium thiocyanate, potassium sulfocyanide, potassium sulfocyanate, potassium rhodanate, KCNS, white solid, formed by fusing potassium cyanide and sulfur, and then crystallizing.
- Chemical PropertiesPotassium thiocyanate, KSCN,also known as potassium sulfocyanate and potassium rhodanide, is a colorless deliquescent crystalline solid that melts at 173°C (343 OF) and decomposes at 500°C(932 OF). Soluble in water and alcohol,it has no odor and a saline taste.Potassium thiocyanate is used in printing and dyeing textiles, freezing mixtures, manufacturing chemicals, photography and medicine.
- Physical propertiesColorless rhombohedral crystals; deliquesces; density 1.886 g/cm3at 15°C;melts at 173.2°C, the color of the fused salt changing from brown to green and then blue; turns white again on cooling; decomposes at about 500°C; very soluble in water, 177 g/100mL at 0°C and 217 g/100mL at 20°C; solution cools upon dissolution; aqueous solution neutral; readily dissolves in acetone and liquid ammonia; moderately soluble in hot alcohol.
- UsesAnalysis of siliver ion; indirect determination of chloride, bromide, and iodide.
- Usesmanufacture of artificial mustard oil; printing and dyeing textiles; in photography as intensifier; in analytical chemistry. The sodium salt now is replacing it for most of these uses.
- UsesUsed as a source of thiocyanate.
- DefinitionA colorless hygroscopic solid. Its solution is used in a test for iron(III) compounds, with which it turns a blood-red color.
- DefinitionChEBI: A potassium salt which is the monopotassium salt of thiocyanic acid.
- PreparationPotassium thiocyanate may be made by adding caustic potash to a solution of ammonium thiocyanate, followed by evaporation of the solution. NH4SCN + KOH →KSCN + NH4OH
Also, the compound can be prepared by heating potassium cyanide with sulfur:KCN + S →KSCN.
- HazardToxic by ingestion.
- Safety ProfileA human poison by ingestion. Poison experimentally by intravenous route. An experimental teratogen. Moderately toxic by subcutaneous and ingestion routes. Large doses can cause slun eruptions, psychoses, and collapse. Incompatible with calcium chlorite and perchloryl fluoride. When heated to decomposition it emits very toxic fumes of CN-, K2O, SOx, and NOx. See also THIOCYANATES.
- Purification MethodsCrystallise it from H2O if much chloride ion is present in the salt, otherwise from EtOH or MeOH (optionally by addition of Et2O). Filter off on a Büchner funnel without paper, and dry it in a desiccator at room temperature before heating for 1hour at 150o, with a final 10-20minutes at 200o to remove the last traces of solvent [Kolthoff & Lingane J Am Chem Soc 57 126 1935]. Store it in the dark.
Potassium thiocyanate Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Raw materialsAmmoniaCARBON DIOXIDECarbon disulphide4-ChlorobenzaldehydeHYDROGEN SULFIDEAmmonium thiocyanateAmmonium hydrogen sulfide
- Preparation ProductsAllyl isothiocyanate(6R,7R)-7-[[(2E)-2-(2-Amino-1,3-thiazol-4-yl)-2-methoxyiminoacetyl]amino]-3-[(2-methyl-5,6-dioxo-1H-1,2,4-triazin-3-yl)sulfanylmethyl]-8-oxo-5-thia-1-azabicyclo[4.2.0]oct-2-ene-2-carboxylic acid4-Imidazolemethanol hydrochlorideRhodanine-3-acetic acidEthyl imidazole-4-carboxylate1-METHYL-1H-IMIDAZOLE-5-CARBOXALDEHYDE1-(1-NAPHTHYL)-2-THIOUREA4-BROMOPHENYLTHIOUREACarbimazole4-PHENYLIMIDAZOLEMethimazoleinterferon-gamma-1a2-MERCAPTOIMIDAZOLEINTERFERON ALPHA RECOMBINANT RAT(2,6-Diisopropyl-4-Phenoxy)PhenylthioureaMethyl thiocyanatenitric acid pickling inhibitor LAN-5
- Potassium chloride ETHYLENEDIAMINE TETRAKIS(PROPOXYLATE-BLOCK-ETHOXYLATE) TETROL Sodium thiocyanate Potassium persulfate POTASSIUM THIOCYANATE-13C, 99 ATOM % 13C,POTASSIUM THIOCYANATE (13C) POTASSIUM THIOCYANATE-15N, 99 ATOM % 15N,POTASSIUM THIOCYANATE-15N CHROMIUM (IC) POTASSIUM THIOCYANATE POTASSIUM THIOCYANATE-13C-15N,POTASSIUM THIOCYANATE-13C-15N, 99 ATOM % 13C, 99 ATOM % 15N Tetrabutylammonium thiocyanate GOLD (III) POTASSIUM THIOCYANATE POTASSIUM THIOCYANATE, [14C] Potassium thiocyanate Potassium chlorate Potassium iodide thiocyanate Potassium Citrate Potassium sorbate Potassium lactate
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar
- Company Name:Beijing dtftchem Technology Co., Ltd.
- Company Name:Energy Chemical
- Tel:400-005-6266 021-58432009