ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Chemical pesticides > Herbicide > Urea herbicides > Methyl benzoate
Basic information Flavors and perfume Content Analysis Toxicity Limited use Chemical Properties Uses Production method Category Toxicity grading Acute toxicity Skin irritation data Explosive and hazardous characteristics Combustible property and hazard characteristics Storage characteristics Extinguishing Media Safety Related Supplier
Methyl benzoate Chemical Properties
- Melting point:-12 °C
- Boiling point:198-199 °C(lit.)
- Density 1.088 g/mL at 20 °C(lit.)
- vapor density 4.68 (vs air)
- vapor pressure <1 mm Hg ( 20 °C)
- FEMA 2683 | METHYL BENZOATE
- refractive index n
- Flash point:181 °F
- storage temp. Store at +5°C to +30°C.
- solubility ethanol: soluble60%, clear (1mL/4ml)
- form Liquid
- color Clear colorless to pale yellow
- Specific Gravity1.087～1.095 (20℃)
- explosive limit8.6-20%(V)
- Water Solubility <0.1 g/100 mL at 22.5 ºC
- JECFA Number851
- Merck 14,6024
- BRN 1072099
- Stability:Stable. Combustible. Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents, strong acids, strong bases.
- CAS DataBase Reference93-58-3(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferenceBenzoic acid, methyl ester(93-58-3)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemMethyl benzoate (93-58-3)
Methyl benzoate Usage And Synthesis
- Flavors and perfumeMethyl benzoate is a commonly used aromatic carboxylic acid esters, flavors, and fragrances in daily chemical industry of China with strong floral, fruity aroma and ylang and tuberose like nuances as well as phenol breath. It is naturally presented in ylang oil, tuberose oil, clove oil, oil of Kalanchoe and daffodils oil and some other kinds of essential oils.
Methyl benzoate is the food flavors allowed by the provision of the GB2760-1996 of China and can be used for modulation of strawberry, raspberry, cherry, pineapple, rum, vanilla beans and nuts flavor and some other kinds of flavor essence; it can be applied to food and can also be applied to daily flavor formulations for the preparation the base of ylang type and flower flavor type incense with the amount being less than 12%. There is no restriction in IFRA.
Methyl benzoate was identified as GRAS by FEMA with the FEMA number being 2683 and approved by the FDA for human administration. The Council of Europe has listed methyl benzoate into the table of artificial flavor which can be used for food and is harmless to the human health with the maximum amount being 61 mg/kg and ADI being 5 mg/kg.
Methyl benzoate is stable in air and can be slowly oxidized in the presence of an oxidizing agent; it can react with base and can subject to saponification with generating benzonic acid. It can also have transesterification to prepare other kinds of benzoates; it is also susceptible to hydrolysis. According to the information provided by RIFM, the acute toxicity data of methyl benzoate: oral LD50: 3.4g/kg (rats).
The traditional method is based on the esterfication of the benzoate and methanol in the presence of sulfuric acid for generating methyl benzoate. Since the methyl benzoate is the intermediate in the production of polymer material-the by-product of dimethyl terephthalate. Therefore, we can try to isolate and obtain the product which can meet the perfumer specification from the crude methyl benzoate.
Methyl benzoate can not only be used for the preparation of rosette, geranium type and other flavors but also be used as the solvents of cellulose esters, cellulose ether, resins and rubber; it can also be used for the fiber dyeing of hydrophobic polyester and can shorten the dyeing time, reduce the dyeing temperature and improve the degree of wash fastness after dyeing fabric.
The above information is edited by the chemicalbook of Dai Xiongfeng.
- Content AnalysisMeasure it according to the method 1 in the ester assay (OT-18). The amount of the taken sample is 900 mg. Take 68.08 as the equivalency factors for calculation or measure it according to the non-polar column method according to the gas chromatography (GT-10-4) method.
- ToxicityADI: 5mg/kg (CE).
LD50: 1350mg/kg (rat, oral).
- Limited useFEMA (mg/kg): Soft drinks 2.2; cold drink 4.5; candy 8.4; Bakery 9.9; Gum: 61.
Take appropriate amount as limit (FDA§172.515, 2000);
- Chemical PropertiesIt is colorless oily liquid with strong floral and cherry aromas. It is miscible with ethyl ether, soluble in methanol, ethyl ether but insoluble in water and glycerol.
- UsesIt can be used as the solvents of cellulose esters, cellulose ethers, synthetic resins and rubber as well as the dyeing auxiliary agent of polyester fiber. It can be used for the preparation of flavors.
It can be used as the solvent in the microscopic analysis as well as the solvent for cellulose.
GB 2760-1996 provides it as allowable food flavors. It can be mainly used for the preparation of strawberry, raspberry, pineapple, cherry, vanilla beans, nuts and rum flavor.
It is commonly used spices for formulating ylang, tuberose scent type. It can also be applied to daffodils, lavender, clove and savory type of Spanish leather. Being used in combination with rock rose product, oak moss or tree moss as well as vetiver oil, it can be used for preparing fern type to achieve pleasant scent. IT can be applied to inexpensive detergent, bad-smell masking agents as well as industrial flavor. It can also be widely applied to food flavors such as strawberry type and so on.
For flavor preparation, it is also used as a cellulose ester, cellulose ether solvent, resin, rubber, etc.
It can be used for organic synthesis; for the solvents of cellulose esters, cellulose ether, resin, rubber and so on; it can also be used as spice with rich aroma of wintergreen oil and cananga oil. It can be used for preparation of soap and cosmetics-purpose artificial ylang oil and sesame oil; it can also be used as food flavor for the preparation of strawberry, pineapple, cherries and rum.
- Production methodPut through the hydrogen chloride gas into the methanol solution of the benzoic acid.
It can be produced through the reaction of benzoic acid and dimethyl sulfate at elevated temperatures.
It can be produced from the co-heating between benzoic acid and methanol in the presence of sulfuric acid.
- CategoryToxic substances.
- Toxicity gradingPoisoning
- Acute toxicityOral-rat-LD50: 1177 mg/kg; Oral-Mouse LD50: 3330 mg/kg.
- Skin irritation dataRabbit 10 mg/24 hr Mild; Eyes-rabbit 500 mg/24 hr mild.
- Explosive and hazardous characteristicsHigh-temperature, explosive.
- Combustible property and hazard characteristicsCombustible upon fire.
- Storage characteristicsTreasury: ventilation, low-temperature and dry; store and transport it separately from food and oxidant.
- Extinguishing MediaFoam, dry powder, carbon dioxide.
- DescriptionMethyl benzoate is an organic compound. It is an ester with the chemical formula C6H5CO2CH3. It is a colorless liquid that is poorly soluble in water, but miscible with organic solvents. Methyl benzoate has a pleasant smell, strongly reminiscent of the fruit of the feijoa tree, and it is used in perfumery. It also finds use as a solvent and as a pesticide used to attract insects such as orchid bees.
- Chemical PropertiesMethyl Benzoate has been found in essential oils (e.g., ylang-ylang oil). It is a
colorless liquid with a strong, dry-fruity, slightly phenolic odor. Methyl benzoate
can be converted simply into other benzoates by transesterification. Since methyl
benzoate is a fairly large by-product in the manufacture of Terylene, earlier synthetic
routes such as those starting from benzoic acid or benzoyl chloride have
largely been abandoned.
Methyl benzoate is used in perfume bases, such as ylang-ylang and tuberose types.
- Chemical PropertiesMethyl benzoate is a colorless, oily, transparent, liquid. Pleasant odor.
- Chemical Propertiescolourless to light yellow fragrant liquid
- Chemical PropertiesMethyl paraben is methyl ester of p-hydroxybenzoic acid. It does not occur naturally and is produced commercially by esterification of p-hydroxybenzoic acid. Methyl benzoate has a fruity odor, also similar to cananga.
- Chemical PropertiesMethyl benzoate has a fruity odor, similar to cananga.
- OccurrenceMethyl benzoate can be isolated from the freshwater fern Salvinia molesta. It is one of many compounds that is attractive to males of various species of orchid bees, which apparently gather the chemical to synthesize pheromones; it is commonly used as bait to attract and collect these bees for study.
Cocaine hydrochloride hydrolyzes in moist air to give methyl benzoate; drug - sniffing dogs are thus trained to detect the smell of methyl benzoate.
- UsesMethyl benzoate is used in perfumes..
- UsesIn perfumes (Peau d'Espagne).
- DefinitionChEBI: A benzoate ester obtained by condensation of benzoic acid and methanol.
- PreparationBy heating benzoic acid and dimethyl sulfate to high temperature, or by exchange between ethyl benzoate and methanol in KOH solution.
- Production MethodsThe compound is manufactured by heating methanol and benzoic acid in the presence of sulfuric acid or by passing dry hydrogen chloride through a solution of benzoic acid in methanol . It may also be produced by the alcoholysis of benzonitrile . It is a by-product of ozonolysis of water .
- Aroma threshold valuesDetection: 110 ppb
- Taste threshold valuesTaste characteristics at 30 ppm: phenolic and cherry pit with a camphoraceous nuance.
- Synthesis Reference(s)Chemical and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, 31, p. 4209, 1983 DOI: 10.1248/cpb.31.4209
- General DescriptionA crystalline solid or a solid dissolved in a liquid. Denser than water. Contact may slightly irritate skin, eyes and mucous membranes. May be slightly toxic by ingestion. Used to make other chemicals.
- Air & Water ReactionsSlightly soluble in water. Hydrolyzes slowly in contact with water .
- Reactivity ProfileMethyl benzoate is an ester. Esters react with acids to liberate heat along with alcohols and acids. Strong oxidizing acids may cause a vigorous reaction that is sufficiently exothermic to ignite the reaction products. Heat is also generated by the interaction of esters with caustic solutions. Flammable hydrogen is generated by mixing esters with alkali metals and hydrides. Methyl benzoate reacts with strong oxidizing agents and strong bases and hydrolyzes slowly in contact with water. .
- HazardToxic by ingestion.
- Health HazardIrritating to the eyes, nose, throat, upper respiratory tract, and skin. May cause allegic skin and respiratory reactions.
- Health HazardMethyl benzoate is a mild skin irritant. Theacute oral toxicity in test animals was oflow order. The toxic symptoms in animalsfrom oral administration of this compoundwere tremor, excitement, and somnolence.The LD50 value varies with species. The oralLD50 values in mice and rats are 3330 and1350 mg/kg, respectively.
- Fire HazardSpecial Hazards of Combustion Products: None
- Safety ProfileModerately toxic by ingestion. Mildly toxic by skin contact. A skin and eye irritant. Combustible liquid when exposed to heat or flame; can react with oxidizing materials. To fight fire, use foam, CO2, dry chemical, water to blanket fire. When heated to decomposition it emits acrid smoke and irritating fumes.
- Chemical SynthesisMethyl benzoate is formed by the condensation of methanol and benzoic acid, in presence of a strong acid such as hydrochloric acid . It reacts both at the ring and the ester. Illustrative of its ability to undergo electrophilic substitution, methyl benzoate undergoes acidcatalysed nitration with nitric acid to give methyl 3-nitrobenzoate. It also undergoes hydrolysis with addition of aqueous NaOH to give methanol and sodium benzoate, which can be acidified with aqueous HCl to form benzoic acid.
- Potential ExposureUsed as food additive and as a solvent for cellulose esters and ethers, resins and rubber.
- Purification MethodsWash the ester with dilute aqueous NaHCO3, then water, dry with Na2SO4 and fractionally distil it in a vacuum. [Beilstein 9 IV 283.]
- Waste DisposalDissolve or mix the material with a combustible solvent and burn in a chemical incinerator equipped with an afterburner and scrubber. All federal, state, and local environmental regulations must be observed.
Methyl benzoate Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Methanol Benzyl alcohol Ethyl 4-fluorobenzoate ETHYL 3-FLUOROBENZOATE Methyl benzoate Methyl benzoylformate Paraquat dichloride Basic Violet 1 Sodium methylparaben Emamectin benzoate Methyl 4-(bromomethyl)benzoate Methyl Kresoxim-methyl BENZOICACID Benzyl benzoate Benzoic acid Acetonitrile Methyl 2-iodobenzoate
Methyl benzoate SupplierMore
- Company Name:Wuhan Geyuan Fine Chemical Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:13307154629 027-83989688-
- Company Name:Shanghai Jiulin Industrial Co., Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:卡托研究化学公司 Gold
- Tel:4000-868-328 020-81215950-
- Company Name:Yidu Youyuan Industrial Co., Ltd Gold
- Company Name:Yichang tongben Chemical Co., Ltd Gold