ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Organic Chemistry > Amides > Naphthenic amines derivatives > N,N-Dimethylbenzylamine
N,N-Dimethylbenzylamine Chemical Properties
- Melting point:-75 °C
- Boiling point:183-184 °C765 mm Hg(lit.)
- Density 0.9 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- vapor pressure 2.4 hPa (20 °C)
- refractive index n
- Flash point:130 °F
- storage temp. Flammables area
- solubility water: soluble
- pkapK1:9.02(+1) (25°C)
- form Liquid
- color Clear colorless to light yellow
- PH10 (10g/l, H2O, 20℃)(saturated solution)
- explosive limit0.9-6.3%(V)
- Water Solubility 8 g/L (20 ºC)
- Sensitive Air Sensitive
- BRN 1099620
- Stability:Stable. Incompatible with strong acids, strong oxidizing agents.
- CAS DataBase Reference103-83-3(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferenceBenzenemethanamine, N,N-dimethyl-(103-83-3)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemN,N-Dimethylbenzylamine (103-83-3)
N,N-Dimethylbenzylamine Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical Propertiescolourless to light yellow liquid with an amine odour
- UsesIntermediate, especially for quaternary ammonium compounds; dehydrohalogenating catalyst; corrosion inhibitor; acid neutralizer; potting compounds; adhesives; cellulose modifier.
- Preparation25% Aqueous Dimethylamine, 1088 grams
Benzyl Chloride, 126.6 grams
In the apparatus of Example 1, the benzyl chloride was added dropwise over a two-hour period to the amine (molar ratio 1 to 6) at a rate sufficient to maintain the temperature below 40°C. Stirring was continued at room temperature for an additional hour to insure completion of the reaction denoted by the equation below.
Thereafter the reaction mixture was cooled in a separatory funnel while standing in a refrigerator maintained at 5° C. and separated into two layers. The upper oily layer, weighing 111.5g, was removed and steam distilled until no further oleaginous component was observed in the distillate as it came over. The crude distillate was found to contain 103.5g of N,N-dimethylbenzylamine (76.1% of theory), 3.3g of dimethylamine and no quaternary salts. The dimethylamine was distilled off below 29°C under atmospheric pressure from the N,N-dimethylbenzylamine (bp 82°C/18mmHg).
- Synthesis Reference(s)The Journal of Organic Chemistry, 40, p. 531, 1975 DOI: 10.1021/jo00892a043
Synthetic Communications, 6, p. 539, 1976 DOI: 10.1080/00397917608063545
- General DescriptionA colorless to light yellow liquid with an aromatic odor. Slightly less dense than water and slightly soluble in water. Flash point approximately 140°F. Corrosive to skin, eyes and mucous membranes. Slightly toxic by ingestion, skin absorption and inhalation. Used in the manufacture of adhesives and other chemicals.
- Air & Water ReactionsFlammable. Slightly soluble in water.
- Reactivity ProfileN,N-Dimethylbenzylamine neutralizes acids on exothermic reactions to form salts plus water. May be incompatible with isocyanates, halogenated organics, peroxides, phenols (acidic), epoxides, anhydrides, and acid halides. Flammable gaseous hydrogen is generated by amines in combination with strong reducing agents, such as hydrides. May attack some plastics [USCG, 1999].
- Health HazardInhalation may be fatal as a result of spasm, inflammation and edema of the larynx and bronchi, chemical pneumonitis, and pulmonary edema. Symptoms of exposure may include burning sensation, coughing, wheezing, laryngitis, shortness of breath, headache, nausea, and vomitting.
- Fire HazardSpecial Hazards of Combustion Products: Toxic vapors are generated when heated.
- Safety ProfilePoison by ingestion. Moderately toxic by inhalation and skin contact. Corrosive. A severe eye and skin irritant. Flammable when exposed to heat or flame. When heated to decomposition it emits toxic fumes of NOx
- Purification MethodsDry the amine over KOH pellets and fractionate it over Zn dust in a CO2—free atmosphere. It has a pKa2 5 of 8.25 in 45% aqueous EtOH. Store it under N2 or in a vacuum. The picrate has m 94-95o, and the picrolonate has m 151o (from EtOH). [Skita & Keil Chem Ber 63 34 1930, Coleman J Am Chem Soc 55 3001 1933, Devereux et al. J Chem Soc 2845 1957.] The tetraphenyl borate salt has m 182-185o. [Crane Anal Chem 28 1794 1956, Beilstein 12 IV 2161.]
N,N-Dimethylbenzylamine Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Fluorexon 4-(DIETHYLAMINOMETHYL)-2,5-DIMETHYLPHENOL 3-(BENZYLMETHYLAMINO)-1-PROPANOL ALIZARIN COMPLEXONE Tribenzylamine 1-Benzyl-2-pyrrolidinone 3-(N-BENZYL-N-METHYLAMINO)-1,2-PROPANEDIOL LABOTEST-BB LT00452529 Thymolphthalein Complexone N,N-Dimethylbenzylamine Poly(dimethylsiloxane) Phenoxybenzamine hydrochloride Dimethyl sulfoxide 4-Cyanobenzylamine Dibenzylamine 4-tert-Butylbenzylamine 4-Methylbenzylamine N-Methylbenzylamine
- Company Name:HANGZHOU SHITEAN CHEMICAL CO.,LTD Gold
- Company Name:Luoyang Fangshan Chemical Co., Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:Quzhou mingfeng chemical co., ltd Gold
- Tel:13819002126 0570-3062502-
- Company Name:Tianjin Zhongxin Chemtech Co., Ltd.
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-