Montelukast sodium Chemical Properties
- storage temp. -20°C Freezer, Under Inert Atmosphere
- solubility DMSO: ≥8mg/mL at 60°C
- form powder
- color white to tan
- optical activity[α]/D +90 to +106° in methanol (c=1)
- Merck 14,6258
Montelukast sodium Usage And Synthesis
- Pharmacological effectCysteinyl leukotrienes (LTC4, LTD4, LTE4) is a eicosane-type substance released by various kinds of cells including mast cells and eosinophils with strong inflammatory effect. These important asthma pre-inflammatory mediators can bind to the Cysteinyl leukotriene receptors (CysLT) identified in the human airways, resulting in a variety of airway responses including bronchoconstriction, mucus secretion, increased vascular permeability, and eosinophil accumulation.
Montelukast sodium is an orally active selective leukotriene receptor antagonist that can specifically inhibit the cysteinyl leukotriene receptor. It was successfully developed by the Merck Company (German) and had entered into market in Canada, Finland, and Mexican in 1997. It is suitable for the prevention and long-term treatment of adults and children asthma, including the prevention of daytime and nighttime asthma symptoms, the treatment of asthma patients who are aspirin-sensitive and prevention of exercise-induced bronchial contraction, it can also be used to relieve the seasonal allergic rhinitis symptoms of 15 year-old or over 15 year-old patients whose symptoms are invalid and intolerant to other treatment.
Montelukast is a selective leukotriene receptor antagonist and has been approved for the oral administration treatment of asthma and allergic rhinitis. It is also a potent oral preparation that can significantly improve the inflammatory indicators. Biological determination of biochemistry and pharmacology has showed that montelukast sodium has a high affinity and selectivity to the CysLT1 receptors (compared with other kinds of pharmacologically important airway receptors such as prostanoid, cholinergic and β-adrenergic receptors). Montelukast can effectively suppress the physiological effects caused by the binding between LTC4, LTD4 and LTE4 receptor and CysLT1 receptor without any receptor agonistic activity. There is the secondary type of cysteinyl leukotriene receptor (CysLT2) presented in the lungs cysteinyl leukotriene receptor but may be limited to the blood vessels. So far, researchers haven’t cloned two receptors so the situation of CysLT receptor is illustrated through binding assay and pharmacological analysis. It has been now thought that montelukast does not antagonize CysLT2 receptors.
The above information is edited by the chemicalbook of Dai Xiongfeng.
- UsesIt can be applied to alleviate the symptoms caused by allergic rhinitis.
- DescriptionMontelukast was launched as Singulair in Mexico and Finland for the management of mild to moderate asthma inadequately controlled by inhaled corticosteroids and short-acting beta2-agonists. Montelukast can be obtained by an seven-step synthesis from 3-[2(E)-(7-chloroquinolin-2-yl)vinyl] benzaldehyde. Montelukast is a potent, selective and orally active antagonist of the CysLT1 (formerly called LTD4) receptor, thus blocking the effects of the cysteinyl leukotrienes LTC4, LTD4 and LTE4 on microvascular permeability and the activation of eosinophils. Montelukast represents the third molecule of this class which has been approved in asthma after pranlukast (1995) and zafirlukast (1996). Montelukast has been studied extensively in placebo-controlled clinical trials, in mildly or severe asthmatic patients challenged with LTD4 or exercise. A variety of acute bronchoconstricting challenges were inhibited or attenuated with all doses used. Montelukast demonstrated clinically significant improvements in the parameters of asthma control associated with an appreciable improvement in quality of life., reducing days with asthma exacerbations and allowing significant tapering of corticosteroids. Montelukast is well-tolerated and only needs to be administered once a day.
- Chemical PropertiesWhite or almost white, hygroscopic powder.
- OriginatorMerck & Co (US)
- UsesA selective leukotriene D4-receptor antagonist. Used as an antiasthmatic
- UsesA potent and highly selective CysLT1 receptor antagonist, without demonstrated CysLT2 activity
- brand nameSingulair (Merck).
- Company Name:Wuhan Wsem Biological Co., Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:Kaifute（Tianjin）Chemical Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:13820733852 022-58659859
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Chembest Research Laboratories Limited
- Company Name:TCI (Shanghai) Development Co., Ltd.
- Tel:021-67121386 / 800-988-0390