ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Inorganic chemistry > Inorganic salts > Cyanide, hydroxide and hydrogen complexes > Sodium cyanate
Sodium cyanate Chemical Properties
- Melting point:550 °C
- Density 1,937 g/cm3
- form Crystalline Powder and/Chunks
- color White to light yellow or light beige
- Water Solubility 110 g/L (20 ºC)
- Merck 14,8604
- BRN 3594963
- Stability:Stable. Incompatible with acids, strong oxidizing agents.
- CAS DataBase Reference917-61-3(CAS DataBase Reference)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemCyanic acid, sodium salt (917-61-3)
Sodium cyanate Usage And Synthesis
- DescriptionSodium cyanate belongs to the sodium salt of cyanic acid, which is commonly applied in the fields of chemical industry and medicine. Its industrial application is to serve as an intermediate in the production of dye-stuffs, bulk drug, heat treatment salts for metals, fungicides, herbicides, and photographic initiators. It is also an ideal nucleophile. The nucleophile properties of sodium cyanate makes it a major contributor to the stereospecificity in certain reactions such as in the production of chiral oxazolidone. Besides, it also acts as a reagent in the production of asymmetrical urea which have a range of biological activity mostly in aryl isocyanate intermediates. These intermediates and sodium cyanate have been applied in medicine, displaying counterbalancing carcinogenic effects on human body, which is probably effective with sickle cell anemia and helpful to block certain receptors for melanin which has been indicated to be helpful with obesity.
- Chemical Propertieswhite powder or crystals
- UsesOrganic synthesis, heat treating of steel, inter- mediate for manufacture of medicinals.
- Safety ProfilePoison by ingestion, intraperitoneal, and intramuscular routes. Human systemic effects by ingestion: weight loss, changes in the visual field, and other eye effects. See also CYANATES. When heated to decomposition it emits very toxic fumes of CNand Na2O.
- Purification MethodsIt forms colourless needles from EtOH. Its solubility in EtOH is 0.22g/100g at 0oC. It is soluble in H2O but can be recrystallised from small volumes of it.
Sodium cyanate Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Sodium hydroxide Hardener A，10% solution 4-ISOTHIOCYANATOBENZENESULFONIC ACID, SODIUM SALT MONOHYDRATE Sodium dichloroisocyanurate Cyanuric acid trisodium salt Sodium gluconate sodium Sodium bicarbonate Sodium benzoate ISOCYANATE Sodium cyanate Sodium chloride SODIUM CYANATE, [14C] cyanic acid Sodium thiocyanate Sodium acetate Sodium formate Diclofenac sodium
- Company Name:Wuhan Greatwall chemical Co,.LTD Gold
- Tel:18086000087 027-86647488
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar
- Company Name:ShangHai DEMO Chemical Co.,Ltd
- Tel:400-021-7337 qq:2355568890
- Email:firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com