ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Chemical Reagents > Organic reagents > Carboxylic anhydride > Propionic anhydride
Propionic anhydride Chemical Properties
- Melting point:-42 °C
- Boiling point:167 °C(lit.)
- Density 1.015 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- vapor density 4.5 (vs air)
- vapor pressure 10 mm Hg ( 57.7 °C)
- refractive index n
- Flash point:165 °F
- storage temp. Store below +30°C.
- solubility H2O: decomposes (when in contact with water)
- PH2.5 (100g/l, H2O, 20℃)(calculated on the free acid)
- explosive limit1.3-9.5%(V)
- Water Solubility hydrolyses
- Sensitive Moisture Sensitive
- Merck 14,7826
- BRN 507066
- Stability:Stable. Combustible. Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents, water, moisture, most common metals, active halogen compounds, ammonia, amines.
- CAS DataBase Reference123-62-6(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferencePropanoic acid, anhydride(123-62-6)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemPropionic anhydride (123-62-6)
- Hazard Codes C
- Risk Statements 34-R34
- Safety Statements 26-45-S45-S26
- RIDADR UN 2496 8/PG 3
- WGK Germany 1
- RTECS UF9100000
- Autoignition Temperature545 °F
- Hazard Note Corrosive/Moisture Sensitive
- TSCA Yes
- HS Code 2915 90 70
- HazardClass 8
- PackingGroup III
- Hazardous Substances Data123-62-6(Hazardous Substances Data)
- ToxicityLD50 orally in rats: 2.36 g/kg (Smyth)
Propionic anhydride Usage And Synthesis
- PreparationPropionic anhydride can be synthesized by dehydration of propanoic acid using ketene.
2 CH3CH2CO2H + CH2=C=O → (CH3CH2CO)2O + CH3CO2H
- ApplicationPropionic anhydride was previously used in the preparation of αand β-1-propionyl derivatives of glucopyranose tetra-acetate.
- DescriptionPropanoic anhydride is an organic compound with the formula (CH3CH2CO)2O. This simple acid anhydride is a colourless liquid. It is a widely used reagent in organic synthesis.
- Chemical PropertiesPropionic anhydride is a colorless liquid. Strong, pungent, unpleasant odor.
- Chemical Propertiescolourless liquid with an unpleasant odour
- UsesUsually used in the preparation of α- and β-1-propionyl derivatives of glucopyranose tetra-acetate.
- UsesEsterifying agent for certain perfume oils, fats, oils, and especially cellulose. In the production of alkyd resins, dyestuffs and drugs. Has been used as a dehydrating agent in some sulfonations and nitrations.
- General DescriptionPropionic anhydride is an organic compound with the molecular formula (CH3CH2CO)2O. it is an colorless acid anhydride that is widely used as a reagent in organic synthesis.
- Air & Water ReactionsDecomposes exothermically in water to form a corrosive solution of propionic acid [Merck, 11th ed. 1989].
- Reactivity ProfilePropionic anhydride reacts exothermically with water. The reactions are sometimes slow, but can become violent when local heating accelerates their rate. Acids accelerate the reaction with water. Incompatible with acids, strong oxidizing agents, alcohols, amines, and bases.
- HazardStrong irritant to tissue.
- Health HazardInhalation causes irritation of eyes and respiratory tract. Contact with liquid causes burns of eyes and skin. Ingestion causes burns of mouth and stomach.
- Fire HazardCombustible material: may burn but does not ignite readily. Substance will react with water (some violently) releasing flammable, toxic or corrosive gases and runoff. When heated, vapors may form explosive mixtures with air: indoors, outdoors and sewers explosion hazards. Most vapors are heavier than air. They will spread along ground and collect in low or confined areas (sewers, basements, tanks). Vapors may travel to source of ignition and flash back. Contact with metals may evolve flammable hydrogen gas. Containers may explode when heated or if contaminated with water.
- Safety ProfileModerately toxic by ingestion. Mildly toxic by skin contact. A corrosive irritant to skin, eyes, and mucous membranes. Combustible when exposed to heat or flame; can react with oxidizing materials. To fight fire, use CO2, dry chemical. When heated to decomposition it emits acrid smoke and irritating fumes. Used as an esterifyng agent and dehydrating agent. See also ANHYDRIDES.
- SafetyPropanoic anhydride is strong smelling and corrosive, and will cause burns on contact with skin. Vapour can burn eyes and lungs.
- Chemical SynthesisPropanoic anhydride has been prepared by dehydration of propanoic acid using ketene :
2 CH3CH2CO2H + CH2= C= O → (CH3CH2CO)2O + CH3CO2H.
- Potential ExposureUsed in the manufacture of perfumes, flavorings, alkyd resins; dyestuffs, pharmaceuticals; as an esterifying agent for fats, oils, and cellulose; dehydrating medium for nitrations and sulfonations.
- ShippingUN2496 Propionic anhydride, Hazard class: 8; Labels: 8-Corrosive material.
- Purification MethodsShake the anhydride with P2O5 for several minutes, then distil. [Beilstein 2 IV 722.]
- IncompatibilitiesVapors may form explosive mixture with air. Incompatible with oxidizers (chlorates, nitrates, perox- ides, permanganates, perchlorates, chlorine, bromine, fluo- rine, etc.); contact may cause fires or explosions. Keep away from alkaline materials, strong bases, strong acids, oxoacids, epoxides, reducing agents; alcohols and metals. Contact with water forms heat 1 flammable propionic acid. Compounds of the carboxyl group react with all bases, both inorganic and organic (i.e., amines) releasing substantial heat, water and a salt that may be harmful. Incompatible with arsenic compounds (releases hydrogen cyanide gas), diazo compounds, dithiocarbamates, isocyanates, mercap- tans, nitrides, and sulfides (releasing heat, toxic and possibly flammable gases), thiosulfates and dithionites (releasing hydrogen sulfate and oxides of sulfur).
- Waste DisposalUse a licensed professional waste disposal service to dispose of this material. Dissolve or mix the material with a combustible solvent and burn in a chemical incinerator equipped with an afterburner and scrubber. All federal, state, and local environmental regulations must be observed.
Propionic anhydride Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Preparation Productscis-AnetholErythromycin 2'-propionate dodecyl sulfatePROPIONYLTHIOCHOLINE IODIDE(5-Fluoro-2-methyl-1H-inden-3-yl)acetic acid3-Methylquinoline11beta,17-dihydroxypregna-1,4-diene-3,20-dione 17-propionateAlclometasone-17,21-dipropionate6-Methylcoumarin2-PROPIONYLFURAN2-ETHYL-3-HYDROXY-6-METHYLPYRIDINE3-METHYL-CHROMEN-2-ONEDisperse Blue SE-2RTralkoxydimLINALYL PROPIONATECITRONELLYL PROPIONATE6'-Methoxy-2'-propiononaphthone(-)-CARVYL PROPIONATE11beta,17,21-trihydroxypregn-4-ene-3,20-dione 17-butyrate 21-propionate
- Raw materialsPropionyl chlorideSodium propionate
- OLEIC ANHYDRIDE PROPIONIC ANHYDRIDE-D10 ACETIC PROPIONIC ANHYDRIDE Bis[3-(acetyloxy)propionic]anhydride 3-[p-(hexyloxy)phenyl]propionic anhydride PROPIONIC ANHYDRIDE, [1-14C] ISOVALERIC ANHYDRIDE MALICANHYDRIDE 2,3-DIPHENYLMALEIC ANHYDRIDE 2,2-DIMETHYLGLUTARIC ANHYDRIDE 2-PHENYLGLUTARIC ANHYDRIDE Palmitic anhydride 3,4,5,6-Tetrahydrophthalic anhydride Cyclobutane-1,2,3,4-tetracarboxylic dianhydride 2,3-Dimethylmaleic anhydride cis-1,2,3,6-Tetrahydrophthalic anhydride RUBRATOXIN B LAURIC ANHYDRIDE
- Company Name:Nanjing Zhipu Chemical Co., Ltd Gold
- Tel:13813022170 025-83172967-
- Company Name:Dalian Idery Biotechnology Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:15141125520 0411-62696576-
- Company Name:Shanghai Wohua Chemical Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:17302146015 021-57681602-802
- Company Name:Jinan Hui Feng Da chemical Co., LTD. Gold
- Tel:15554103218 0531-88691900-
- Company Name:Energy Chemical Gold
- Tel:400-005-6266 021-58432009-
- Sep 8，2021