ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Organic Chemistry > Carboxylic acids and derivatives > Carboxylic Acid Anhydrides > Trimellitic Anhydride
Trimellitic Anhydride Chemical Properties
- Melting point:163-166 °C(lit.)
- Boiling point:390 °C
- Density 1.54
- vapor density 6.6 (vs air)
- vapor pressure <0.01 mm Hg ( 20 °C)
- refractive index 1.4717 (estimate)
- Flash point:227 °C
- storage temp. Store below +30°C.
- solubility 24.4g/l (decomposition)
- form Flakes
- color White to off-white
- PH2 (21g/l, H2O, 20℃)
- explosive limit1-7%(V)
- Water Solubility DECOMPOSES
- Sensitive Moisture Sensitive
- Merck 14,9703
- BRN 9394
- Stability:Stable. Moisture sensitive.
- CAS DataBase Reference552-30-7(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferenceTrimellitic anhydride(552-30-7)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemTrimellitic anhydride (552-30-7)
Trimellitic Anhydride Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical Propertieswhite crystalline powder,combustible.
- Chemical PropertiesTrimellitic anhydride is a crystalline solid. It is the anhydride of trimellitic acid (1,2,4-benzenetricarboxylic acid).
- UsesIn the preparation of resins, adhesives, polymers, dyes, printing inks.
- UsesTrimellitic anhydride is mainly applied to produce good heat-proof, weather-proof and solvent-proof trimellitate plasticizers, among which the most popular product is tri(2-ethylhexyl)trimellitate. It is also used to synthesize polyester resins.TMA can also be applied to curing agent of epoxy resins.
- UsesTrimellitic Anhydride is mainly used as raw material for polyester resin,polyimide resin,plasticizer TOTM ,and also be used for producing heatproof & insulating,adhesive,surfactant, paint,synthesize dye materials etc. Trimellitic anhydride is used as an embossing agent for vinyl flooring and as a curing agent for epoxy resins. It is also used as an intermediate for the synthesis of surface coatings chemicals, adhesives, polymers, dyes printing inks, pharmaceuticals .
- DefinitionChEBI: A 2-benzofuran compound having oxo groups at the 1- and 3-positions and a carboxy substituent at the 5-position; the cyclic anhydride formed from the carboxy groups at the 1- and 2-positions of trimellitic acid.
- Air & Water ReactionsSensitive to moisture. Hydrolyzes slowly. Solutions in water or alcohol may be unstable. Insoluble in water.
- Reactivity Profile1,2,4-Benzenetricarboxylic anhydride reacts exothermically with water. This reaction is expected to be slow, but can become vigorous if local heating accelerates it. Reaction with water is accelerated by acids. Incompatible with acids, strong oxidizing agents, alcohols, amines, and bases. Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents, strong acids or strong bases. .
- HazardToxic by inhalation. Respiratory sensitization.
- Safety ProfileModerately toxic by ingestion. Has caused pulmonary edema from inhalation. Irritant to lungs and air passages. May be a powerful allergen. Typical attack consists of breathlessness, wheezing, cough, running nose, immunologcal sensitization, and asthma symptoms. When heated to decomposition it emits acrid smoke and irritating fumes. See also ANHYDRIDES.
- Potential ExposureTMA is used to produce trimellitate plasticizers, poly (amide-imide) polymers; in paints, enamels, and coatings; polymers, polyesters; as a curing agent for epoxy and other resins; in vinyl plasticizers; agricultural chemicals; dyes and pigments; pharmaceuticals, surface active agents; modifiers, intermediates, and specialty chemicals.
- IncompatibilitiesDust can cause an explosion. Incompatible with oxidizers (chlorates, nitrates, peroxides, permanganates, perchlorates, chlorine, bromine, fluorine, etc.); contact may cause fires or explosions. Keep away from alkaline materials, strong bases, strong acids, oxoacids, epoxides. Reacts slowly with water, forming trimellitic acid. Compounds of the carboxyl group react with all bases, both inorganic and organic (i.e., amines) releasing substantial heat, water and a salt that may be harmful.
- Waste DisposalDissolve or mix the material with a combustible solvent and burn in a chemical incinerator equipped with an afterburner and scrubber. All federal, state, and local environmental regulations must be observed.
Trimellitic Anhydride Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Preparation ProductsTriethylene glycol dimethacrylateRhodamine 123Triisooctyl phosphite
- Raw materialsPolyvinyl chlorideTriethylene glycol dimethacrylateCobalt acetate1,2,4-TrimethylbenzeneMANGANESE(II) ACETATE1,1,2,2-TetrabromoethanePOLY(1-GLYCEROL METHACRYLATE)ALKYD RESINPolyurethane-polyvinyl chloride imitation leatherDIOCTYL PHTHALATE (DOP)Curing agent for epoxy resinPOLYIMIDE RESIN
- Pyromellitic Dianhydride MELLITIC TRIANHYDRIDE AKOS 243-36 1,2,4,5-BENZENETETRACARBOXYLIC DIANHYDRIDE-D2 4-METHACRYLOXYETHYL TRIMELLITIC ANHYDRIDE Benzene Acetic anhydride Maleic anhydride Tamoxifen (Trifluoromethoxy)benzene Chromium(VI) oxide Erythromycin Estolate 1,3,5-Benzenetricarboxylic acid chloride 1,2,4-Benzenetricarboxylic acid Trimellitic Anhydride Trifluoromethanesulfonic anhydride Phloroglucinol dihydrate Isatoic Anhydride
- Company Name:Shandong Kaimike Environmental Protection Technology Co., Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:Wuxi tomorrow Chemical Technology Co., Ltd Gold
- Tel:15949267094 0510-80776682-
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar