ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Inorganic chemistry > Inorganic salts > Phosphide And metal phosphates > Phosphorus pentasulfide
Phosphorus pentasulfide Chemical Properties
- Melting point:286 °C
- Boiling point:514°C
- Density 2.09 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- storage temp. Flammables area
- form Powder
- color Yellow to green
- PH1 (10g/l, H2O, 20℃)
- Water Solubility reacts
- CAS DataBase Reference1314-80-3(CAS DataBase Reference)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemPhosphorus pentasulfide (1314-80-3)
- Hazard Codes F,Xn,N
- Risk Statements 11-20/22-29-50
- Safety Statements 61
- RIDADR UN 1340 4.3/PG 2
- WGK Germany 3
- RTECS TH4375000
- F 13-21
- Autoignition Temperature142 °C
- HazardClass 4.3
- PackingGroup II
- HS Code 28139000
- Hazardous Substances Data1314-80-3(Hazardous Substances Data)
- ToxicityLD50 orally in Rabbit: 389 mg/kg LD50 dermal Rabbit 3160 mg/kg
Phosphorus pentasulfide Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical PropertiesPhosphorus pentasulfide is a greenish-gray to yellow, crystalline solid with an odor of rotten eggs. The Odor Threshold is 0.005 ppm.
- UsesIn manufacture of lube oil additives and pesticides. manufacture of safety matches, ignition Compounds, and for introducing sulfur into organic Compounds.
- UsesPhosphorus pentasulfide is used in the manufacture of lubricant additives, pesticides, safety matches, and flotation agents.
- UsesPhosphorus pentasulfide (phosphoric sulfide, P2S5) is an insecticide. It is also an additive to oils and a component of safety matches.
- General DescriptionA greenish yellow solid with an odor of rotten eggs that may paralyze the sense of smell at hazardous concentrations in air. Density 2.04 g / cm3. Phosphorus pentasulfide is used for making lube oil additives, insecticides, flotation agents, safety matches, blown asphalt, and other products and chemicals.
- Air & Water ReactionsHighly flammable. May heat and spontaneously ignite in presence of moisture [Haz. Chem. Data. 1969]. Reaction with water forms toxic hydrogen sulfide gas and phosphoric acid. Dangerous when wet.
- Reactivity ProfilePHOSPHORUS PENTASULFIDE reacts vigorously with strong oxidants. Exothermically violent decomposition reaction with water, steam or acids to produce irritating fumes of phosphorus pentaoxide and highly toxic hydrogen sulfide gas. May ignite in contact with limited amounts of water [Haz. Chem. Data, 1975, p. 239]. Can be ignited by sparks or friction and its dust presents an explosion hazard in air at sufficient concentrations. Hydrogen sulfide gas evolved from reactions with water may also form explosive mixtures with air.
- Health HazardPhosphorus pentasulfide is an irritant to the skin and eyes. Inhalation of its vapors can cause irritation of the respiratory passage. Oral toxicity of this compound in rats was found to be moderate.
LD50 value, oral (rats): 389 mg/kg (NIOSH 1986)
Phosphorus pentasulfide can readily produce highly toxic hydrogen sulfide in the presence of moisture. Other toxic products from its combustion are sulfur dioxide and phosphorus pentoxide (corrosive)..
- Fire HazardSpecial Hazards of Combustion Products: Products of combustion include sulfur dioxide and phosphorus pentoxide, which are irritating, toxic and corrosive.
- Safety ProfileA poison by ingestion. A severe eye and skin irritant. Readily liberates toxic hydrogen sulfide and phosphorus pentoxide and evolves heat on contact with moisture. Dangerous fire hazard in the form of dust when exposed to heat or flame. Spontaneous heating in the presence of moisture. Moderate explosion hazard in solid form by spontaneous chemical reaction. Reacts with water, steam, or acids to produce toxic and flammable vapors; can react vigorously with oxidizing materials. Incompatible with air, alcohols, water. To fight fire, use CO2snow, dry chemical, or sand. Used as an intermedate in manufacturing lubricant addltives, insecticides, and fertilizer agents. When heated to decomposition it emits highly toxic fumes of SO, and PO,. See also HYDROGEN SULFIDE.
- Potential ExposurePhosphorus pentasulfide is used as an intermediate in the manufacture of lubricant additives; insecticides, flotation agents; lubricating oil; ignition compounds; and matches. It is also used to introduce sulfur into rubber, and organic chemicals, such as pharmaceuticals.
- ShippingUN1340 Phosphorus pentasulfate, free from yellow or white phosphorus, Hazard Class: 4.3; Labels: 4.3-Dangerous when wet material, 4.1-flammable solid.
- Purification MethodsPurify P2S5 by extraction and crystallisation with CS2, using a Soxhlet extractor, and is heated in a CO2 atmosphere at 150o to remove solvent. It liberates H2S in moist air. HARMFUL VAPOURS. [Klements in Handbook of Preparative Inorganic Chemistry (Ed. Brauer) Academic Press Vol I p 568 1963.]
- IncompatibilitiesFlammable solid; dust may form explosive mixture with air. Contact with water forms phosphorus pentoxide and an explosive mixture of hydrogen sulfide with air. Phosphorus pentasulfide is incompatible with oxidizers (chlorates, nitrates, peroxides, permanganates, perchlorates, chlorine, bromine, fluorine, etc.); contact may cause fires or explosions. Keep away from alkaline materials, ammonia, strong acids, strong bases, alcohols. Reaction with water or moisture in the air releases heat, hydrogen sulfide (H2S), sulfur dioxide, and phosphoric acid. Pyrophoric hazard, may self-ignite in moist air.
- Waste DisposalConsult with environmental regulatory agencies for guidance on acceptable disposal practices. Generators of waste containing this contaminant (≥100 kg/mo) must conform with EPA regulations governing storage, transportation, treatment, and waste disposal. Decompose with water, forming phosphoric acid, sulfuric acid and hydrogen sulfide. Provisions must be made for scrubbing hydrogen sulfide emissions. The acids may then be neutralized and diluted slowly to solution of soda ash and slaked lime with stirring, then flush to sewer with large volumes of water.
Phosphorus pentasulfide Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Preparation Products(2-(TRIFLUOROMETHYL)THIAZOL-5-YL)METHANOL6-Mercaptopurine 4-CyanophenolSULFOTEPChlorpyrifos-methylPhosaloneThioacetic acidPhosmetFurfuryl mercaptan6-(METHYLTHIO)PYRIMIDINE-4,5-DIAMINEDimethylphosphorodithioateDimethyl chlorothiophosphate3-METHYL-2-BENZOTHIAZOLINONE HYDRAZONE HYDROCHLORIDE7-TRIFLUOROMETHYL-4-QUINOLINETHIOL4,5-DIAMINO-6-MERCAPTOPYRIMIDINEThioacetamideSULPROFOSCYANOPHOSParathion1,7-HEPTANEDIOLO，O-dialkyl thiophosphoryl chlorideCARBOPHENOTHIONProthiofosQUAZEPAM CIV (200 MG)Diethylphosphorodithioate4-SULFANYLNICOTINIC ACIDAntioxidant and antiseptic agent T2022,4-DimethylthiazoleBROTIZOLAMLawesson's Reagent5-FLUORO-2-METHYLBENZOTHIAZOLE2-Methyl-2-thiazolineBENZP-DINITRIDE-THIO-KETONETOLRESTATDICAPTHON6-Mercaptopurine monohydrate2,5-Dimethylthiophene6-METHOXY-2-METHYLBENZOTHIAZOLEDimethylphenyl dithiophosphate,sodium salt
- Raw materialsSulfurPhosphorusSulphurWhite phosphorus
- Company Name:Hubei xin embellish DE chemical co., LTD Gold
- Company Name:Hubei XinRunde Chemical Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:15377672552 027-83214668-
- Company Name:Wuhan Chujiang Haoyu Chemical Technology Development Co., Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:Hubei XinRunde Chemical Co., Ltd Gold
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-