Annatto Chemical Properties
- EPA Substance Registry SystemC.I. Natural Orange 4 (1393-63-1)
- Toxicitymic-sat 100 mLg/plate KEKHB8 (9),11,1979
Annatto Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical PropertiesThe extract prepared from annatto seed, Bixa orellana (L.), using a food grade extraction solvent
- Physical propertiesAnnatto extracts occur as dark red solutions, emulsions or suspensions in water or oil or as dark red powders.
- UsesFood coloring in dairy products, especially butter and cheese, flour confectionary, fish, meat products, soft drinks, snack foods and dry mixes. In wood stains, polish, and varnishes. Spice or condiment. Insect repellent.
- Usesannatto extract (Bixaorellana) is used in creams and sun products as a colorant and a highlighter. The orange color it provides is obtained from the plant’s dried fruit, specifically the pulp.
- UsesAnnatto is a color source of yellowish to reddish-orange color obtained from the seed coating of the tree bixa orellanna. the oil- soluble annatto consists mainly of bixin, a carotenoid soluble in fats and oils with the color which is produced in the fat portion of the food. it has a yellow hue, very good oxidation stability, fair light stability, and good heat stability, but it is unstable above 125°c. the water-soluble annatto is norbixin (the product resulting when bixin is saponified and the methylethyl group is split off) which is dis- solved as a potassium salt in lye. it is readily soluble in aqueous alkalis with the coloring occurring in the protein and starch fraction of the food. it has a yellow to orange hue and precipitates in most acid foods. the usage level is 0.5–10 ppm in the finished food. it is used in sausage casings, oleomargarine, shortening, and cheese.
- Safety ProfileModerately toxic by intraperitoneal route. Human systemic effects by skin contact. When heated to decomposition it emits acrid smoke and irritating fumes.
Annatto Preparation Products And Raw materials
- ANNATTO SEED Ethyl isocyanoacetate TERT-BUTYL ISOCYANIDE TRIS(2,2,6,6-TETRAMETHYL-3,5-HEPTANEDIONATO)EUROPIUM(III) TRIS(2,2,6,6-TETRAMETHYL-3,5-HEPTANEDIONATO)DYSPROSIUM(III) BENZYL ISOCYANIDE PHENYLSELENOL 1,1,3,3-TETRAMETHYLBUTYL ISOCYANIDE Tosylmethyl isocyanide 2,4-PENTANEDIONE, SILVER DERIVATIVE METHYL ISOCYANOACETATE COBALT(II) ACETYLACETONATE SALCOMINE N-BUTYLISOCYANIDE COBALT ETHYLENE DIAMINE CHLORIDE DICHLORO(ETHYLENEDIAMINE)PLATINUM(II) Ferric acetylacetonate Cupric acetylacetonate
- Company Name:Spectrum Chemical Manufacturing Corp.
- Company Name:Beijing HuaMeiHuLiBiological Chemical
- Company Name:Alfa Chemistry
- Company Name:Wuhai Shuou Technology Co., Ltd.
- Company Name:Taian Jiaye Biotechnology Co.Ltd