ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Food Additives > Nutrition supplements > Vitamins > Ascorbyl Palmitate
Ascorbyl Palmitate Chemical Properties
- Melting point:115-118 °C(lit.)
- alpha +21～+26°(20℃/D, c=2, C2H5OH)
- Boiling point:512.7±50.0 °C(Predicted)
- Density 1.150±0.06 g/cm3(Predicted)
- refractive index 22.5 ° (C=1, EtOH)
- storage temp. Store at +15°C to +25°C.
- solubility Slightly soluble in ethyl alcohol.
- form neat
- optical activity[α]20/D +23±1°, c = 1% in ethanol
- BRN 96552
- CAS DataBase Reference137-66-6(CAS DataBase Reference)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemAscorbyl palmitate (137-66-6)
Ascorbyl Palmitate Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical PropertiesLight yellow powder
- Chemical PropertiesAscorbyl palmitate is a practically odorless, white to yellowish powder.
- UsesAscorbyl Palmitate is an ester formed from ascorbic acid (A786990) and palmitic acid (P144500) creating a fat soluble form of vitamin C. Ascorbyl Palmitate is also used as an antioxidant food additiv e.
- Usesascorbyl palmitate is used as a preservative and an anti-oxidant in cosmetic creams and lotions to prevent rancidity. Ascorbyl palmitate facilitates the incorporation of ingredients such as vitamins A, C, and D into cosmetic formulations. It has no known toxicity.
- UsesAscorbyl Palmitate is an antioxidant formed by combining ascor- bic acid with palmitic acid. ascorbic acid is not fat soluble but ascor- byl palmitate is, thus combining them produces a fat-soluble antioxidant. it exists as a white or yellowish white powder of citric- like odor. it is used as a preservative for natural oils, edible oils, col- ors, and other substances. it acts synergistically with alpha-tocopherol in oils/fats. it is used in peanut oil at a maximum level of 200 mg/kg individually or in combination.
- DefinitionA white or yellowish-white powder having a citrus-like odor. Mp 116–117C; soluble in alcohol and in animal and vegetable oils; slightly soluble in water.
- Production MethodsAscorbyl palmitate is prepared synthetically by the reaction of ascorbic acid with sulfuric acid followed by reesterification with palmitic acid.
- Pharmaceutical ApplicationsAscorbyl palmitate is primarily used either alone or in combination
with alpha tocopherol as a stabilizer for oils in oral pharmaceutical
formulations and food products; generally 0.05% w/v is used. It
may also be used in oral and topical preparations as an antioxidant
for drugs unstable to oxygen. The combination of ascorbyl
palmitate with alpha tocopherol shows marked synergism, which
increases the effect of the components and allows the amount used
to be reduced.
The solubility of ascorbyl palmitate in alcohol permits it to be used in nonaqueous and aqueous systems and emulsions.
- Safety ProfileWhen heated to decomposition it emits acrid smoke and irritating fumes.
- SafetyAscorbyl palmitate is used in oral pharmaceutical formulations and
food products, and is generally regarded as an essentially nontoxic
and nonirritant material. The WHO has set an estimated acceptable
daily intake for ascorbyl palmitate at up to 1.25 mg/kg bodyweight.
LD50 (mouse, oral): 25 g/kg
LD50 (rat, oral): 10 g/kg
- storageAscorbyl palmitate is stable in the dry state, but is gradually
oxidized and becomes discolored when exposed to light and high
humidity. In an unopened container, stored in a cool place, it has a
shelf life of at least 12 months. During processing, temperatures
greater than 658℃ should be avoided.
The bulk material should be stored in an airtight container at 8–158℃, protected from light.
- IncompatibilitiesIncompatibilities are known with oxidizing agents; e.g. in solution oxidation is catalyzed by trace metal ions such as Cu2+ and Fe3+.
- Regulatory StatusGRAS listed. Accepted for use as a food additive in Europe. Included in the FDA Inactive Ingredients Database (oral, rectal, topical preparations). Included in nonparenteral medicines licensed in the UK.
Ascorbyl Palmitate Preparation Products And Raw materials
- L-Ascorbic acid 6-stearate Ascorbic Acid L-ASCORBIC ACID 2-MONOPHOSPHATE TRI-CYCLOHEXYLAMMONIUM SALT 1-O-HEXADECYL-SN-GLYCEROL 2(5H)-Furanone 2,5-Dihydrofuran Butyl hexanoate N-OCTYLMONOOXYETHYLENE BUTYL LAURATE N-PROPYL DECANOATE Ascorbyl Palmitate 3-Methoxybutyl acetate Ethyl nonanoate LABOTEST-BB LT00847550 2-Butoxyethanol ISOPROPYL GLYCOLATE BUTYL CAPRATE Butyl propionate
- Company Name:Zhejiang tianxin pharmaceutical co. LTD Gold
- Tel:13738617151 021-50318873-
- Company Name:Aikon International Limited Gold
- Tel:13155353615 025-66151770-
- Company Name:Nantong Tianxiang Bioengineering Co., Ltd Gold
- Tel:400-6716686 0513-5666452-
- Company Name:Wuhan yunxiu pharmaceutical technology co. LTD Gold
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-